Illinois' dominance over Minnesota at The Barn since 2000

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
This is pathetic. Geez I didn't know it was this bad.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is why I have come to hate the Orange Crush. While its admirable the way they travel and cheer en masse, they've had way too much fun at our expense.

The 2002 game will induce nightmares forever.

I remember that 2009 win, just completely shut them out held them to under 40.

Seems like a lot of them have been like Saturday's game too. Gophers in control, then blow it. One of the stranger ones was Pitino's first year. I had to look up the details and the Gophers were up 14-3 with 11:45 left in the first half. For the first 8:15, Illinois had scored 3 points....and the rest of the game they outscored the Gophers 59-35.

We might have as many wins in Champaign in that time frame. Although to be fair from 2000-06 Illinois had an elite program. Too bad for them Bill Self left

I-L-L. ... I-N-I

What makes it especially aggravating is the "I-L-L. ... I-N-I" chant is the most annoying chant know to mankind. Makes me just want to smack an Illinois fan right in his chops.

Illin fans certainly deserve credit, though, pretty da*n impressive to have that much of a presence at a road game, especially when your team is having an uncharacteristically bad season.

This is why I have come to hate the Orange Crush. While its admirable the way they travel and cheer en masse, they've had way too much fun at our expense.

The Illinois-Minnesota game was for many years the Illinois student section’s annual official road trip, and may still be (I missed Saturday’s game due to a wedding). They come not just because of the tremendous success they enjoy against us, but also because we have 14,250 seats and haven’t regularly filled them since before the academic scandal. So there is always a plentiful inventory for the visitors to buy. There are two ways to stop it. One, we start fielding competitive teams and get the momentum to fill those seats ourselves. Two, we cut our capacity in some manner (tarps, more chairback seats and fewer benches, putting suites towards the top of the upper deck ends). Until or unless one of these things happens, the Fighting Illini takeover will go on and on indefinitely.

What makes it especially aggravating is the "I-L-L. ... I-N-I" chant is the most annoying chant know to mankind. Makes me just want to smack an Illinois fan right in his chops.

Meh, I kinda like the ILL-INI chant. Better than Go Green, Go White IMO.

We might have as many wins in Champaign in that time frame. Although to be fair from 2000-06 Illinois had an elite program. Too bad for them Bill Self left

Minnesota is 5-27 against Illinois in the last 32. I think you're correct.

Minnesota is 5-27 against Illinois in the last 32. I think you're correct.
I can think of three of them '96, '10 and '13. Don't think Monson ever won there. Pitino has yet to travel there. Tubby had moderate success in that building winning two and losing a tough one in 2012. Triple Ot?

I can think of three of them '96, '10 and '13. Don't think Monson ever won there. Pitino has yet to travel there. Tubby had moderate success in that building winning two and losing a tough one in 2012. Triple Ot?

I was at the 2OT loss in Champaign in 2012. Played so well, then let it slip away at the end of regulation. Welch played well but missed a couple key free throws that could have iced it. It was the conference opener, so it stung a little more.

Ralph had a big game. Another thing I remember is for some reason at the end of regulation and the 1st OT it was Maverick with the ball in his hands and taking the last shot. Not optimal.

Top Bottom