Illini must contend with Minnesota's Rodman-like Murphy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Tupper:

When he was doing his NBA thing in the 1980s and 1990s, Dennis Rodman was the standard by which all rebounders were judged.

The 6-foot-7 forward had an uncanny knack for tracking down the basketball and for seven straight seasons he led the NBA in rebounding, averaging between 14.9 to 18.7 rebounds per game.

When University of Illinois coach Brad Underwood looks at Minnesota’s Jordan Murphy, he sees a player who has many of Rodman’s rebounding traits.

Murphy has posted a double-double in all 15 of Minnesota’s games and is averaging 19.1 points and 12.6 rebounds, the rebounding total the second-best in the country.

“Murphy has great timing, great hands and that ‘it’ factor because the ball finds him,” Underwood said as Illinois (10-5, 0-2) prepares for the resumption of Big Ten Conference play Wednesday night in Minneapolis (8 o'clock, BTN). “He does a great job of anticipating where shots will go.

"And he has a very, very quick second jump. He beats bigger guys off the floor with his second jump. He rebounds his misses exceptionally well. A lot of times he puts it up there so he can go get it again with a better angle to score. And as I told our team, along with his tenacity, he’s kind of like a bully. He bulls his way to where he wants to go. He’s very good at it.”

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/co...cle_5029b249-590f-5ad6-b4f8-0be2afca90ec.html

Go Gophers!!

My family and I have talked about Murphys quick second jump. Rodman got most of his rebounds by tipping the first ball and beating the opponent on the second jump. Comparing Murphy to Rodman is a great compliment to Murph...at least when talking rebounding.

Found a NBA comparison for Jordan Murphy. Watching the Wolves-Nets game right now, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson of Brooklyn is a 6-7 power forward. Doesn't have a 3-point shot. If that guy can make it, why can't Murphy?

Top Bottom