If you don't have plans tonight: Lakeville South @ Jefferson

Donovan

Reaction score
I'm planning on checking out Gopher recruit Mitch Leidner playing at Jefferson (it's the muni stadium just off France Ave). 7:00 kickoff

Can't make it, but look forward to your report. ;)

Incorrect. The stadium is just off Penn Avenue and 90th Street behind a couple of gas stations......

Better game would be north @ Rosemount.

The game you are going to will be a blowout with Leidner likely not playing more than 2 series in the second half. He will put up good stats though.

I am interested to see south vs Rosemount next week. Liedners weakness is that he is not good when teams get heat on him. He only hit 45% of his passes against Eagan and they are the only team south has played that blitzes at all effectively. (apple valley stinks and Eastview doesn't blitz much at all).

Better game would be north @ Rosemount.

The game you are going to will be a blowout with Leidner likely not playing more than 2 series in the second half. He will put up good stats though.

I am interested to see south vs Rosemount next week. Liedners weakness is that he is not good when teams get heat on him. He only hit 45% of his passes against Eagan and they are the only team south has played that blitzes at all effectively. (apple valley stinks and Eastview doesn't blitz much at all).

Good to know, I'll to try and get to that game.

EP vs. Hopkins should be a decent game this week.

I'll be keeping my eye on Leola/Frederick vs. Eureka/Bowdle.

Leola/Frederick's scores so far this year:

52-0
44-6
60-14

I'll be at Litchfield VS Westonka tonight. Who's with me!? :)

The best reason to go the the Jefferson game is to see the Jefferson Marching Band, a/k/a, "The Pride of Minnesota." (Yes, they "borrowed" the nickname from the Gophers marching band.)

They are really good. The football team, . . . .

I get to go watch and cover Palmer Ridge and The Classical Academy.

Hooray Colorado High School football!!!

Well, as predicted, it was a blowout: 42-0 at half. Mitch Leidner did not play in the second half. This kid does have great touch and nice accuracy on his throws (not sure how many yards he threw for, but it was a lot). He had 3 TD passes, and honestly, I think he could have thrown all of the teams 6 first half scores. Instead, they made the running backs happy. He didn't seem to show much of any desire to take off and run with the ball. The only fault I'd toss out there is the fact he seemed to stare down his receiver before passing it. This may be common for high school QB's. The combination of Jefferson's defense and his accuracy made it a non issue tonight.

I'd like to watch Nelson and Mankato West in a game this year, as well.

I take stats while doing the PBP in the booth for Bloomington TV, but I had Leidner on 10-14 for 181 and 3TDs - one of the incompletions was a flat out drop. Didn't even take a snap in the 2nd half as it was 42-0. Hopefully my unofficial stats are close to what will come out officially tomorrow. All the of TDs came in the first quarter.

I liked what I saw - strong arm, most importantly an accurate arm, and showed good touch on a couple of deep balls and on a fade route for a TD. Obviously, I take this with a grain of salt as the Jefferson defense makes anyone look good, but it was fun to see a future gopher recruit tear it up - even if it was against my alma mater.

For those of you waiting on pins and needles, Leola/Frederick won 36-28 to avenge last year's blowout loss and move to 4-0.

Congratulations to Leola/Frederick. I tossed and turned all night awaiting for a report on the outcome of this game. Thanks dpodoll.

The best reason to go the the Jefferson game is to see the Jefferson Marching Band, a/k/a, "The Pride of Minnesota." (Yes, they "borrowed" the nickname from the Gophers marching band.)

They are really good. The football team, . . . .

Lotta Jefferson kids in the U of M band every year. Only other school that comes close is EP I think. Lakeville North also has a really good high step band with a HUGE enrollment. Funny thing: Nathan Earp (U grad and tuba player in the band) was the director at Jefferson for a while in the late 70s and has been at Lakeville since. He took a lot from the U band - marching styles, cadences, etc - and implemented them at both schools.

On the football note, good to see Mitch is doing well... I will say staring down receivers is something I really disliked about Weber and now Gray a lot of times. I think that can be coached out, though. Good to see we have a strong line of potential QBs with some skill - Shortell, Alipate (lose some weight), Leidner, and more... can't go wrong there.

Was at EP Hopkins game. Game was over after the second series. EP completely dominated the game. Nick Davidson and the right side of the line blew open some gigantic holes. Andrew Larson had 4 tds and well over a 100yards rushing. Kid is fast and relentless, he does not go down. Only played first half. Drake Michaelson had a pick 6. Andre McDonald is impressive athletically made some nice catches and the guy is huge for a HS WR. Body language comes off poorly. Last guy out of locker room, last guy into the pre-game huddle and other things. A former college football player was remarking that you don't know how much to read out of that. I sure hope we can get him. What about Larson, too? If Kill is looking for playing every down hard he definitely does.

BushNashGuy, Thanks for the update on McDonald, it sounds like he could use a good dose of Jerry Kill, and may explain why he's commited to Vandy.

Rosemount looked bad last night. The offense struggles. That defense will be an interesting one for liedner to face though.

Top Bottom