If the Regents allow a beer garden.....

husker70

Reaction score
Will the revenue be retained by the Athletic Department, or........go into some general fund?

assume it would remain within the athletic department to some degree. if it does not, then that would be some major b.s.

just like i think the game-day parking revenues should go to the athletic department and not to the parking and transportation services dept.

just like i think the game-day parking revenues should go to the athletic department and not to the parking and transportation services dept.
Like it or not, this makes sense. The parking lots (I'm assuming here, but I feel that it is a safe assumption) are maintained by the parking and transportation services, NOT the athletic department.

I believe the parking revenues goes to the general fund because they along with outside investors, paid for construction and maintenance of the lots and ramps.

Having said that, the athletic dept should receive a portion/percentage of game day revenue.

I believe the parking revenues goes to the general fund because they along with outside investors, paid for construction and maintenance of the lots and ramps.

Having said that, the athletic dept should receive a portion/percentage of game day revenue.
I don't disagree the athletic dept. should get some, but it still makes sense even if they don't. I'm curious though if anyone knows how parking works at other B1G schools.

For the parking, the flat rate goes to parking services, but the donation portion all goes to the athletic department. So in the case of our spot, i think it is $125 to Parking Services, and around $1,400 as a donation to the athletic department. And I think the Athletic Department got a nice fat check this year from Parking Services.

If I can buy a pre-game beer at Sally's or at a university-sponsored beer garden, I guess I'd rather buy one where I know the money is going back to the university (similar to municipal liquor stores). It seems like an easy way to capitalize on game day proceeds for the U.

This may have been covered in a previous post somewhere, but does anyone know the particulars of the proposed beer garden? I assume that any beer purchased in said area must be consumed within the beer garden and NOT in the general seating area?

Personally I'm OK with this compromise. I can get a beer if I really want it, but I also don't have to deal with people all around me spilling beer and getting out of control.

This may have been covered in a previous post somewhere, but does anyone know the particulars of the proposed beer garden? I assume that any beer purchased in said area must be consumed within the beer garden and NOT in the general seating area?

Personally I'm OK with this compromise. I can get a beer if I really want it, but I also don't have to deal with people all around me spilling beer and getting out of control.

I'd assume most of the details are yet to be determined.

For the parking, the flat rate goes to parking services, but the donation portion all goes to the athletic department. So in the case of our spot, i think it is $125 to Parking Services, and around $1,400 as a donation to the athletic department. And I think the Athletic Department got a nice fat check this year from Parking Services.

This is an important distinction.

But it still doesn't make sense for PTS to collect the full sum in parking fees, especially for the non-donation STP or WB lots that would be empty if it were not for the football fans parking in them. Obviously PTS should be able to get money for expenses and long term maintenence but there is no reason for them to collect anything above that since it is revenue that literally would not be coming in if the athletic event wasn't happening.

As for how other B1G schools do it, I've read it is common for the athletic dept to get at least a portion of the funds. Michigan is one example.

This is an important distinction.

But it still doesn't make sense for PTS to collect the full sum in parking fees, especially for the non-donation STP or WB lots that would be empty if it were not for the football fans parking in them. Obviously PTS should be able to get money for expenses and long term maintenence but there is no reason for them to collect anything above that since it is revenue that literally would not be coming in if the athletic event wasn't happening.

As for how other B1G schools do it, I've read it is common for the athletic dept to get at least a portion of the funds. Michigan is one example.

A couple things:

1) I would really like Athletics to get some portion of parking revenue, but that would almost certainly mean an increase in athletic event parking fees. Parking and transportation has to pay the full debt service on its parking facilities, staff the parking lots/ramps, maintain the parking lots/ramps, and also use parking revenue to subsidize the cost of FREE shuttles around campus, which include shuttles on game days that many of us ride. It does so with revenue projections that include event parking, a subset of which is athletics parking. Yes, there are non-athletic events on campus, believe it or not. And no, those events don't get parking revenue either.

I would just add that I'm nothing but impressed with the parking lot operations on game days on campus. I arrive early and waiting is never an issue, there are a ton of portables compared to the private lots down by the dome, and somehow magically all the tailgating garbage disappears while i'm inside the game. I don't agree with everything PTS does but let's give some credit where it's due.

2) I heard a top-level U administrator recently ballpark the capacity of a potential beer garden around 1,000 or 1,500 people at a time. This was an off the cuff remark and the planning is far from done, so don't point to this number later if it ends up being more or less, but it might give us an idea of the direction they are presently thinking.

I wonder if they'll announce the location and contours of a beer garden soon to assist with ticket sales?

I would really like Athletics to get some portion of parking revenue, but that would almost certainly mean an increase in athletic event parking fees. Parking and transportation has to pay the full debt service on its parking facilities, staff the parking lots/ramps, maintain the parking lots/ramps, and also use parking revenue to subsidize the cost of FREE shuttles around campus, which include shuttles on game days that many of us ride. It does so with revenue projections that include event parking, a subset of which is athletics parking. Yes, there are non-athletic events on campus, believe it or not. And no, those events don't get parking revenue either.
I'm unsure why that would automatically result in higher parking fees. Here's my logic...Unless I missed some major PTS related building projects (which is entirely possible, though I visit campus enough times during the year to catch most major things) I'm unsure why the debt service post-2009 would be significantly worse than pre-2009 (unless the new parking lots around TCF were not part of that projects costs and were somehow super expensive). This is important b/c PTS was apparently doing fine on those payments before football came back to campus. Which means they were doing fine before they started making an extra 1 million bucks per fall (conservative estimate based on parking #'s and zone costs). If that's true, this is simply new revenue they are collecting.

Unless they are somehow spending all of that money on operational costs (staffing the lots, cleanup, shuttles, etc). And somehow I doubt that the costs are that high. Especially now that they are removing the WB shuttles and transitioning fans to the Connector, a service that is already funded/budgeted for.

I would just add that I'm nothing but impressed with the parking lot operations on game days on campus. I arrive early and waiting is never an issue, there are a ton of portables compared to the private lots down by the dome, and somehow magically all the tailgating garbage disappears while i'm inside the game. I don't agree with everything PTS does but let's give some credit where it's due.
Agreed. I've always felt the U has done a nice job with the lots on the West Bank. I'm guessing the same is true elsewhere.

I heard a top-level U administrator recently ballpark the capacity of a potential beer garden around 1,000 or 1,500 people at a time. This was an off the cuff remark and the planning is far from done, so don't point to this number later if it ends up being more or less, but it might give us an idea of the direction they are presently thinking.
I'm interested to see if that ends up being the capacity. 1000-1500 seems like it would require quite a bit of space and I'm not sure where they'd put one that large.

Top Bottom