IF the Big Ten Goes Undefeated this weekend....

upnorthkid

Reaction score
does it at all change the perception in the media?

Would include wins @TCU (Minn), vs WVU (Maryland), vs ISU (Iowa), @Washington (Illinois), and @ND (Purdue). Now obviously one of those is about 1/100 shot of happening, but personally I think the Big Ten could save some face with wins over those opponents (even with a Purdue loss aside), which if there's going to be someone qualifying for the playoffs this year, it's definitely needed after last week's debacle. Right now I see it as the Big Ten has 3 games to really try and save face for the season and that's Minn@TCU, Indy@Mizzou, and Miami@Nebraska (both games next week).

No. Because you are evaluated based on how good your best teams are.

If the Big Ten goes undefeated this week, the top of the conference still sucks and the bottom of the conference still sucks because they are at the bottom of a crappy conference.

No.

Big Ten lost its three most important games, Sparty to Oregon, Badgers to LSU, and Ohio State to Virginia Tech (in that order). To a lesser extent, Michigan to Notre Dame, though Michigan has been mostly pedestrian for the last 7-8 years.

I'm not ready to say the top of the conference sucks. Wisconsin and Michigan State have nothing to be embarrassed about with their losses. Yes, the Badgers gagged away a big lead, but in the end does losing to perennial SEC power by 4 points on a neutral field mean you suck? I don't think so. I think it means Bucky blew a golden opportunity.

Ohio State is a little different story. They look like a completely different team without Miller. Tough break, but I don't feel sorry for them. They're OSU. ... always have a ton of talent.

It won't make a difference in perception, no. But if the B1G loses all their matchups (and frankly, that's more likely than winning them all) it will drop even lower.

Will the leader in the east be Rutgers? If they beat PSU at Home They are 3-0 and 1-0 in conference. And Mr. Delaney will not be a happy camper or will he? If its all about eyeballs then it all good.

No.

Big Ten lost its three most important games, Sparty to Oregon, Badgers to LSU, and Ohio State to Virginia Tech (in that order). To a lesser extent, Michigan to Notre Dame, though Michigan has been mostly pedestrian for the last 7-8 years.

I'm not ready to say the top of the conference sucks. Wisconsin and Michigan State have nothing to be embarrassed about with their losses. Yes, the Badgers gagged away a big lead, but in the end does losing to perennial SEC power by 4 points on a neutral field mean you suck? I don't think so. I think it means Bucky blew a golden opportunity.

Ohio State is a little different story. They look like a completely different team without Miller. Tough break, but I don't feel sorry for them. They're OSU. ... always have a ton of talent.

My counter that is, if you're going to compare the overall SOS and if the B10 sweeps the slate this weekend and those 3 teams you listed prior run the table in the Big Ten, does it add credibility to the conference (since the consensus seems to be that Sparty will run the table after the loss). IF that happened, you'd have a Mich St with one road loss to a damn good Oregon team with wins over Nebraska (beat Miami), Indiana (beat Mizzou), and a CCG win over Wisconsin who could only have a single loss vs LSU or against Iowa or Minnesota who could have no losses with wins over Power 5 teams, along with some other wins vs likes of OSU (now would look a lot weaker) and Michigan (not all that impressive anymore).

I guess personally I just don't see how it's "over" for anyone from the Big Ten. It does look extremely bleak and if the OOC goes poorly this week then the B10 will be dubbed the weakest of the power 5 bar none. But some wins this weekend could really go a long way

Will the leader in the east be Rutgers? If they beat PSU at Home They are 3-0 and 1-0 in conference. And Mr. Delaney will not be a happy camper or will he? If its all about eyeballs then it all good.

well no conference games have been played so yes, at 1-0, they would technically be the leader in the east. ;)

The way I see it, a B1G slot in the playoff is more dependent on Oklahoma, then on anything a BIG team does. If Oklahoma runs the table we'll be on the outside looking in, if they stumble, then other scenarios become viable.

[h=2]IF the Big Ten Goes Undefeated this weekend....[/h]
it will be quite a surprise.

The way I see it, a B1G slot in the playoff is more dependent on Oklahoma, then on anything a BIG team does. If Oklahoma runs the table we'll be on the outside looking in, if they stumble, then other scenarios become viable.

How do you figure? There's every possibility that Oklahoma makes the playoff and a Big 10 team does too. It makes zero sense that Oklahoma making the playoff would somehow limit another team from making it at this point. There are ten more games to play for every team at a minimum..

How do you figure? There's every possibility that Oklahoma makes the playoff and a Big 10 team does too. It makes zero sense that Oklahoma making the playoff would somehow limit another team from making it at this point. There are ten more games to play for every team at a minimum..

I think he's saying SEC and PAC12 are locks to get in along with FSU given they run the table, in which case the B12 champion is the one who would knock the B10 out.

The Big Ten teams needs to win two national championships in a two or three year stretch before the perception changes.

I really don't know that FSU will come away from the season unscathed... they struggled with OkSt, and still have Notre Dame + Florida as non conference opponents.

Either way, it's just as likely that a second SEC team (with one close loss.. think Alabama last year) could get in over a one-loss Oklahoma team that doesn't play in a conference championship game AND a 0-1 loss Big Ten team.

And no, unfortunately the media line won't change even if the BT goes undefeated this weekend. I think it would definitely prove the strength of the middle of the conference (which is every bit as important as how well the top 2 teams play), but the media won't see it that way. We've squandered our chance as a conference between weeks 1 and 2. Maybe, MAYBE, if you throw in wins next week from Maryland vs Syracuse, Iowa vs Pitt, Rutgers v Navy, Mich v Utah, and Indiana v Mizzou (like, all of them), the media would shift the conversation a little. How likely do we think winning even 8 or 9 of those games is?...

I think he's saying SEC and PAC12 are locks to get in along with FSU given they run the table, in which case the B12 champion is the one who would knock the B10 out.
That's exactly what I mean SEC and PAC12 champions get in even with one loss. FSU would get in with one loss Louisville likely needs to be undefeated out of the ACC. The Big 12 is suspect except for Oklahoma. If they go undefeated most scenarios for the B1G getting in don't work they become the fourth team. A one loss MSU would jump over a one loss Oklahoma, any of the other B1G teams, would need to be perfect, except maybe Wisconsin, they would need LSU have no more then 2 losses.

I really don't know that FSU will come away from the season unscathed... they struggled with OkSt, and still have Notre Dame + Florida as non conference opponents.

Either way, it's just as likely that a second SEC team (with one close loss.. think Alabama last year) could get in over a one-loss Oklahoma team that doesn't play in a conference championship game AND a 0-1 loss Big Ten team.

And no, unfortunately the media line won't change even if the BT goes undefeated this weekend. I think it would definitely prove the strength of the middle of the conference (which is every bit as important as how well the top 2 teams play), but the media won't see it that way. We've squandered our chance as a conference between weeks 1 and 2. Maybe, MAYBE, if you throw in wins next week from Maryland vs Syracuse, Iowa vs Pitt, Rutgers v Navy, Mich v Utah, and Indiana v Mizzou (like, all of them), the media would shift the conversation a little. How likely do we think winning even 8 or 9 of those games is?...

Agreed. Honestly only see 3 I like this weekend (MN, Iowa and one of MD or Illini) but the next week looks better as I'd think Iowa and Mich should win and MD, Rutgers, and Indy all having a shot at winning. so I'd expect around that 8 mark. If it goes worse than that, the B10 really is going to look terrible is SOS, especially if we go down to TCU and Iowa loses to ISU as the B12 will look way better in the middle than us and we already know the P12 and SEC are viewed as head and shoulders better than the B10

Power 5/Notre Dame Head to Head

Through Week 2

1. SEC (3-0)
2. Notre Dame (1-0)
3. Pac 12 (3-1)
4. ACC (2-2)
5. Big Ten (1-5)
6. Big XII (0-2)

The conference to watch this week is the Big XII. For the Big Ten's sake let's hope they bomb.

Week 3
Arkansas @ Texas Tech
Illinois @ Washington
Iowa State @ Iowa
Kansas @ Duke
Minnesota @ TCU
Notre Dame vs. Purdue
Tennessee @ Oklahoma
Texas vs. UCLA
USC @ Boston College
West Virginia @ Maryland

Top Bottom