IA and NE going beyond "Trophy Game.:

Tacky, cheesey, corny...I could be wrong. Maybe it'll be moving and meaningful and tasteful, but I doubt it. This is Iowa and Nebraska, after all.

Too many trophy games in the B1G. Can you say contrived? Pretty soon we're going to have one for every single matchup.

I like the Brown Jug. The Axe and Pig are nice but not necessary. ... simply beating border rivals like Bucky or Iowa (on the rare occasions it's happened recently) is more than enough satisfaction. But I guess there needs to be something to put in the (mostly empty) trophy case in lieu of the long B1G title drought.

The Bell isn't necessary. But for the Axe and the Pig.... cold, dead hands.

Too many trophy games in the B1G. Can you say contrived? Pretty soon we're going to have one for every single matchup.

I like the Brown Jug. The Axe and Pig are nice but not necessary. ... simply beating border rivals like Bucky or Iowa (on the rare occasions it's happened recently) is more than enough satisfaction. But I guess there needs to be something to put in the (mostly empty) trophy case in lieu of the long B1G title drought.
Blasphemy!!!!! Ever read the story of Floyd? Pig Axe Jug are great. Bell you can throw away. I do agree that we don't need any additional ones.

That people feel so strongly about the Axe and the Pig proves that they are needed. The Bell, no one really cares about.

Why shouldn't Neb/IA be a trophy game? It is Nebraska's biggest rivalry game in the conference, and soon to be at the top of Iowa's list. It's not like there's going to be a Neb/NW trophy for that game. If Nebraska were in the conference from the beginning it's likely that this would already be a trophy game anyway.

Every team should have at least one or two trophy games. This decision doesn't cheapen my view of trophy games in any way.

Neb/IA having a trophy is fine, and even a nice way to welcome Neb to the B1G, but calling it the "Heroes" game is almost as bad as calling our divisions Legends & Leaders.

I think it was bound to happen. I'm not crazy about the concept, but Nebraska is going to try to develop rivalries. Iowa is a natural fit.

I think that it is a real rivalry already and they haven't even played a game as conference foes yet... As the article says, they are two very similar states with similar U's. It is already something their two dedicated, self important, bumpkin fan bases have argued over for a long time. I don't think the rivalry itself is anything that is artificial. Regardless of what they call it, market it, etc., it should be a very good rivalry now and going forward. I do think a trophy is a good fit for this game and I applaud them for working it into a black Friday tradition. All that being said, the rest does seem to me to be trying too hard... "Hero's game"... Yikes.

Maybe it should be called the "Shameless Exploitation Game".

I'm with the majority here. I have no problem at all with this. Trophy game traditions are one of the reasons the B1G is the best conference in the land.

Give it a few years - NE/IA will become one of the biggest rivalries in the B1G, and must-see TV on Black Friday.

“They plan to recognize one Iowa citizen and one Nebraskan for an extraordinary act prior to each year's game.”

GophersInIowa covers it…

Not sure about Nebraska, but I’m thinking Iowa will be hard pressed after one year?

“They plan to recognize one Iowa citizen and one Nebraskan for an extraordinary act prior to each year's game.”

GophersInIowa covers it…

Not sure about Nebraska, but I’m thinking Iowa will be hard pressed after one year?

You can nominate people to represent the state. Anyone have contact info for pantherhawk?

Give it a few years - NE/IA will become one of the biggest rivalries in the B1G, and must-see TV on Black Friday.

I completely agree, so why not let it happen naturally? Why do they feel the need to go out and attempt to create the rivalry by making a trophy? The jug and Pig are great because of how they came to be.

Intense rivalries naturally create meaningful trophies. Trophies do not create intense rivalries.

I think everything about this is natural. The trophy is adding to it IMO. I have no problem with in-state and border rivals creating trophy games.

GophersInIowa covers it…

That is TOTAL BS and insult to the good person of Iowa (aka: GophersinIowa). They have at least three years, maybe four if you include Ashton Kutcher.

1. Lois Feldman (and the guy who nailed her)
2. Roseann Barr (she can sing the national anthem for the first meeting at Kinnick)
3. Pierre Pierce and his multiple redshirt years, err, I mean suspensions
4. Kutcher

:p

This game should be 2:30 PM Black Friday, and be hereafter referred to as Farmageddon.

GophersInIowa covers it…

I don't know about your standards, but Lois definately has some extraordinary acts!!!

Top Bottom