I wonder if Joey has any second thoughts?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Am not one that likes to play the "If we had this guy" or the "What if he didn't get injured (i.e. Fitzgerald)?" game. Your team is your team every season, graduations, injuries, suspensions, flunking out be dam*ed.

But I got to thinking the other night, I wonder if Joey King has any regrets appealing to be eligible right away after his transfer from Drake? If he had not, or if the appeal had been denied, Joey would be on this team.

And you know what's crazy? Despite being a favorite whipping boy last season (he and Carlos), Joey would be a perfect fit for this team coming off the bench as a 5th-year senior. (I'm guessing he would've embraced that role) His lack of rebounding wouldn't be a concern because now there's Lynch, Murphy, Curry, and even Bakary to handle that. A 6-9 senior coming off the bench to provide 3-point punch for a team that could use some? I'd take that.

The Gophers have a solid Coach Mo "play 8, trust 7" rotation right now (starters + Springs, Curry, Konate), but caught myself thinking the other night what a bonus it'd be had Joey sat out his first season.

Who do we end up not recruiting with King still occupying a scholarship?

Hurt probably or they find a way to get Diedou off the team by now.

Yeah that's a fun little idea for sure. King would fit in nicely on this team. When King is a starter, you are in trouble. On this team, he'd be a perfect fit as a 15-18 mpg guy who comes in and spaces the floor.

He would have been a very unathletic guy on a pretty athletic team. He would have been a senior who would not have seen much of the floor. That might have caused problems.

Last year was bad, but I think it worked out ok.

Am not one that likes to play the "If we had this guy" or the "What if he didn't get injured (i.e. Fitzgerald)?" game. Your team is your team every season, graduations, injuries, suspensions, flunking out be dam*ed.

But I got to thinking the other night, I wonder if Joey King has any regrets appealing to be eligible right away after his transfer from Drake? If he had not, or if the appeal had been denied, Joey would be on this team.

And you know what's crazy? Despite being a favorite whipping boy last season (he and Carlos), Joey would be a perfect fit for this team coming off the bench as a 5th-year senior. (I'm guessing he would've embraced that role) His lack of rebounding wouldn't be a concern because now there's Lynch, Murphy, Curry, and even Bakary to handle that. A 6-9 senior coming off the bench to provide 3-point punch for a team that could use some? I'd take that.

The Gophers have a solid Coach Mo "play 8, trust 7" rotation right now (starters + Springs, Curry, Konate), but caught myself thinking the other night what a bonus it'd be had Joey sat out his first season.

6'9? Did king grow 3 inches since last year?

Hurt probably or they find a way to get Diedou off the team by now.

Yeah that's a fun little idea for sure. King would fit in nicely on this team. When King is a starter, you are in trouble. On this team, he'd be a perfect fit as a 15-18 mpg guy who comes in and spaces the floor.

Hurt was a very early commit. I kinda think it'd be more likely we miss out on Curry.

Joey's 1st year here, we were one basket against NW away from making the NCAA's. Hard to see how he'd regret that.

Isn't Joey getting paid to play in Finland this year? I think he is fine with his decision.

Possibly. King was a great example of a guy who was forced into a much bigger role than he was suited for

didn't we have an extra scholarship before the year that we gave to Darin Haugh?

you are correct. And I do think Joey would have fit in really well, and played in an important role on this team. Though obviously not as a starter.

If we are talking about guys who could theoretically be on this Gopher team, for pure on the court reasons I'd rather have Kevin Dorsey, Jarvis Johnson, Daquein McNeil, or Davonte Fitzgerald. Having Dorsey or Johnson to play backup pg and relieve Dupree of those duties would be great plus both Dorsey and Johnson projected to give us a full court defensive pest at PG. Imagine if this Gophers team was able to break out a full court press with Dorsey/Johnson at the point with Dupree, Amir, Eric, and Reggie?

If we are talking about guys who could theoretically be on this Gopher team, for pure on the court reasons I'd rather have Kevin Dorsey, Jarvis Johnson, Daquein McNeil, or Davonte Fitzgerald. Having Dorsey or Johnson to play backup pg and relieve Dupree of those duties would be great plus both Dorsey and Johnson projected to give us a full court defensive pest at PG. Imagine if this Gophers team was able to break out a full court press with Dorsey/Johnson at the point with Dupree, Amir, Eric, and Reggie?

I would only want Johnson or Fitzgerald. I got tired of watching Dorsey play one on four and McNeil was pretty erratic.

I would only want Johnson or Fitzgerald. I got tired of watching Dorsey play one on four and McNeil was pretty erratic.
Dorsey was young and could have learned - even though he is obviously very dumb. Quick as hell though. McNeil couldn't shoot a lick and I don't think that would have ever improved.

Where are they now?

Please God, I'm just glad last year is over and pump fake Joey is gone...

Dorsey was young and could have learned - even though he is obviously very dumb. Quick as hell though. McNeil couldn't shoot a lick and I don't think that would have ever improved.

Where are they now?

I took five min last night and looked up McNeil because I was wondering if he was in jail. He landed in the league that includes Hampton and Coppin St. but now I can't remember which school. As long as he has stopped hitting women, I'm glad that he is playing hoops again because, from what I can recall of the profile Amelia did 3-4 years ago, that is his ticket out of a rough background. It didn't sound like it was going to be academics.

Top Bottom