I like Cobbs

balds

Reaction score
He has taken a lot of heat on this board, but I really like his game. He seems to really understand offense and where the ball should go. I also love him defensively. Freshman in this league often struggle, look at Purdue's big guy the other night.

I do, too. Sure, he's made a few mistakes, but so have Westbrook and Joseph. I think he's got all the skills, but sometimes looks to be a little hesitant, perhaps a little afraid of doing something wrong and getting an unfriendly stare from his coach. All he needs is a little more confidence, and that will come in time.

EG

I do, too. Sure, he's made a few mistakes, but so have Westbrook and Joseph. I think he's got all the skills, but sometimes looks to be a little hesitant, perhaps a little afraid of doing something wrong and getting an unfriendly stare from his coach. All he needs is a little more confidence, and that will come in time.

Count me in. I like Cobbs.

+1

He needs to work on speeding up the release on his jumper and playing more aggressively, but he has all of the tools to be a very good player.

Cobbs

I like Cobbs also, but his foul going for a pass near midcourt near the end of a game should not happen at this level. Hopefully, he continues to learn & improve.

I like Cobbs also, but his foul going for a pass near midcourt near the end of a game should not happen at this level. Hopefully, he continues to learn & improve.

Really bad foul for sure. Happens all the time "at this level." Not excusing it, but it's going to happen.

His reaction to errors - esp. his own should also not be happening at this level. Cobbs will get a lot more love when he quits blaming others (teammates, refs...) for his mistakes. Not that there isn't a lot of precedent for this in the sports world...

His reaction to errors - esp. his own should also not be happening at this level. Cobbs will get a lot more love when he quits blaming others (teammates, refs...) for his mistakes. Not that there isn't a lot of precedent for this in the sports world...

Moonlight, I have not been paying close attention, but I haven't noticed a lot of whining from Cobbs. Perhaps I am too overcome by seeing it in LW to see in young Mr. Cobbs. Examples?

Moonlight, I have not been paying close attention, but I haven't noticed a lot of whining from Cobbs. Perhaps I am too overcome by seeing it in LW to see in young Mr. Cobbs. Examples?

On the brutal foul that is the topic, he did look around a bit for some reason why it wasn't his fault. I was thinking, "Dude. What are you looking for? You need a mirror if you are trying to figure out whose fault it is."

That said, i don't think it is a problem, just a competitive thing.

Correct

On the brutal foul that is the topic, he did look around a bit for some reason why it wasn't his fault. I was thinking, "Dude. What are you looking for? You need a mirror if you are trying to figure out whose fault it is."

That said, i don't think it is a problem, just a competitive thing.
This is exactly what I am talking about - its almost reflexive in him. And refs don't like it and I'll bet Tubby doesn't either.

I personally do consider it a problem - not good for team chemistry to be unable to suck it up and recognise personal mistakes. And if you can't do that, improvement comes more slowly whether we're talking basketball or any skill. Perhaps this is why we haven't seen the unfolding of Westbrook's abilities as we'd hoped. If you're so defended against seeing your shortcomings, its hard to overcome them.

I personally do consider it a problem - not good for team chemistry to be unable to suck it up and recognise personal mistakes. And if you can't do that, improvement comes more slowly whether we're talking basketball or any skill. Perhaps this is why we haven't seen the unfolding of Westbrook's abilities as we'd hoped. If you're so defended against seeing your shortcomings, its hard to overcome them.

That's a fair point. He's very young. If he's doing this a year from now, then we've got an issue.

Charity

I love a PG that can shoot free throws! Not many attempts but not many misses!

18-21 for 85% as a freshman.

This suggests his percentage from the field should improve over its current 33%.

Next year when Devoe moves to the 2, depending on the Cory and Al Nolen matters, there could be many PG minutes available to Justin.

Give Cobbs the Ball

I realize I'm going to take heat on this, but I would have Cobbs run the show as soon as the opponent begins to make their comeback and pressure the ball. To my eye, he handles the ball significantly better than LW or DJ, he's always looking for the open player, and he is committed to getting the ball down low. Watch closely, the kid dribbles the ball extremely well. DJ (although he's clearly helped the team substantially) looks weak going to his left. He dribbles the ball high and rarely gets to the hoop going left. LW puts the ball at risk whenever he makes that behind-the-back cross-over dribble. It kinda lingers behind his back for an extra second. I have a lot more confidence when Cobbs is handling the ball and he seems like a "cooler customer" when dribbling under pressure. I'm enthralled with Tubby the human being and would like him here forever, but I'm not sure he's utilized his talent as effectively as he could. But then again, what the hell do I know?

I like Cobbs too.

Just to give a little defense to Cobbs's crazy foul late in the game.

I watched a replay of the final 7 minutes of the ILL game yesterday and took note of a couple things.

Illinois was in the middle of staging their big comeback. Gophers had just been outscored 12-2 at 53-44.

LW makes 2 FT's to help our situation a little to make the score 55-44. After the inbound pass-in from Tisdale to McCamey (IIRC), McCamey walks the ball up the court. Just over the timeline McCamey lobs a pass toward Paul on the left sideline over a jogging up the court while ducking at the same time Tisdale. Cobbs leaps out to try to steal the looping pass and is very close imo but when Paul comes to meet the pass he jumps up and forward and he sorta sticks his left leg out while Cobbs is going for the steal and Cobbs hits Paul's leg, spins him around and Paul goes down. Cobbs just missed making that steal. If he makes that steal he would have had an easy layup and it would have provided a significant slowdown to the Illini charge. At this point we were in the middle of our own 6 minute FG drought. Our previous FG had been over 3 minutes earlier on a very nice Cobbs fed RW dunk. We would not score our next FG for another 3 minutes on a Sampson to Carter slam. Not a lot to be said for our guard play in that stretch (save for FT's) and a Cobbs steal and score would have been huge. But it was not to be.

Cobbs's reaction imo was one of disappointment with himself that he did not get the steal. I think he understood he made the foul but he also may have been working the ref (in vain) as to where Paul's leg came from. It was a protective move by Paul (maybe even a late lazy move) and caught Cobbs by surprise. IMO Paul was not totally in the clear on his move but it worked. He got to the ball and also got his leg around out there to be knocked and spun around by Cobbs going by. A costly play to the Gophers to be sure but I thought a worthwhile gamble on Cobbs's part at the time. He just needs to anticipate and time his move a lil better next time and avoid hitting an outstretched leg.

Count me in too - I like Cobbs - I like the way he handles the ball.

Even if we don't land CJ, we will be fine at PG with Cobbs.

He was player of the year as a Junior in California. The guy has talent.

3 turnovers in 6 minutes vs Michigan. I don't even know how that's possible.

Really a "freshman" the kid has played 30 games plus exhibition games...had a year of practice. Can't wait til next year when everyone says "he's just a sophomore leave him alone"

Look, when you are a young player, and the entire team around you is crumbling, it is hard to be productive. I'm not saying he played well or anything, I'm just saying, it's not like conditions were favorable for a strong performance from him, especially him being a freshman. He's gonna be inconsistent. And the way this year has gone, it's just been diseased all around. He had some great games, he had some extremely poor games. Does that really surprise you? I thought he held up well this year considering I wasn't expecting a ton from him at all.

Really a "freshman" the kid has played 30 games plus exhibition games...had a year of practice. Can't wait til next year when everyone says "he's just a sophomore leave him alone"

+1

He's not a freshman anymore.

I like Cobbs' skill level. I like that he thinks pass first, that he tries to get the ball inside, and that he isn't so skinny that he gets pushed around. He doesnt have great athleticism, which is nothing on him, but whatever guard is playing next to him better have some then.

3 turnovers in 6 minutes vs Michigan. I don't even know how that's possible.

Was this the first game you've ever watched or something? I've seen a guy turn the ball over 3 times in a 2-minute span before.

So much of this criticism of Cobbs reminds me of Eric Harris. As a sophomore many fans regarded Harris as the biggest tool in the universe. As a junior his end of season injury was viewed as the reason the Gophers didn't win the NC.

Top Bottom