I know it's early but...: Expectations for '09-10?

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
A few people have talked about their expectations for this year, and it looks like people had widely different expectations for our squad this year.

Looking forward; assuming everything remains as we presently understand it (no transfers, all recruits arrive on campus as expected, etc.), what are your expectations next year for:

1. Overall record
2. Big 10 record
3. Post-season expectations

I'm just interested to see what everyone on the 'Hole thinks.

1. 23-12
2. 10-8
3. Lose in 2nd round of NCAA

1. 20-22 wins (not sure how many games we play)
2. 10-8
3. Lose first round of Big Ten in the 4-5 game. Hoping win one in NCAA, expecting lose one in NCAA. I'm not sold on the idea that Hoffarber and Nolen will improve. Johnson and Westbrook are ok, not great. The new recruits will take some time.

I can't really put a record on it cause I don't know what our nonconference looks like, but I would think 21-23 wins is reasonable. I'd like to see us grab 11 Big Ten wins or so, try to get into that top 5 at least, if not top 4. Obviously I expect to be in the NCAA tournament, a top 8 seed would be nice, try to get to the Sweet 16, though just a tournament win period would be nice considering we haven't officially had one in I don't know how long.

A few people have talked about their expectations for this year, and it looks like people had widely different expectations for our squad this year.

Looking forward; assuming everything remains as we presently understand it (no transfers, all recruits arrive on campus as expected, etc.), what are your expectations next year for:

1. Overall record
2. Big 10 record
3. Post-season expectations

I'm just interested to see what everyone on the 'Hole thinks.

Without knowing the OOC schedule, I can't predict overall wins, but with the expected demise of Wisconsin and PSU next year countered by big improvement by Indiana and Michigan, plus an improvement in the Gophers with losing no starters and gaining an offseason of strength and practice, I would assume 10-11 Big Ten wins and about 22-25 overall wins, flirtation with a top-25 team and a 5 to 7 seed in the tourney. I'd expect a 2nd-round appearance in the tourney.

11 Big Ten wins, a sixth seed or higher, and at least one NCAA win would be my expetations.

Going just off the trendline...

Tubby's Gophers
2007-2008 20-13 8-10 NIT First Round
2008-2009 22-11 9-9 NCAA First Round
2009-2010 24-9?? 10-8?? NCAA Second Round??

That would be a pretty nice year.

I don't see why this team couldn't make as big of jump as Illinois did this year. Illinois lost Brian Randle and Shaun Pruitt and added nobody of consequence, yet they saw a very dramatic improvement, largely as a result of improvements from their trio of sophomores (Davis, Tisdale, and McCamey).

We lose nobody of consequence, add another excellent recruiting class, and our trio of freshman were better than their trio of freshman.

25-8 overall
12-6 in the Big 10 (Winning the big ten tourney, Royce White named MVP)
#4 seed in the dance, elite 8 appearance after upsetting the overall #1 seed Pittsburgh in the sweet 16.....

wait I dazed off there for a second....sorry about that....

probably more like 23 wins (but I could see us into the "lock" category a little earlier than this year)
I would say 11-7 is a possibility in the big ten, and we could win a game or two in the ncaa tournament.

I don't see why this team couldn't make as big of jump as Illinois did this year. Illinois lost Brian Randle and Shaun Pruitt and added nobody of consequence, yet they saw a very dramatic improvement, largely as a result of improvements from their trio of sophomores (Davis, Tisdale, and McCamey).

We lose nobody of consequence, add another excellent recruiting class, and our trio of freshman were better than their trio of freshman.
Great points.

The only way we can make a jump is with better guard play.

Less turnovers more assists. It is that simple. I think the rest of the team will improve, but guard play is the key.

I don't see much improvement record wise. But team ability yeah, big time. I think we'll do better in both tourneys next year

overall not counting T's 21-23 wins
conference 10-8

Sweet 16 baby.

Here's my thinking. for the second year in a row the talent will be freshmen. it takes a while to integrate and get up to speed. But because this new influx will be built on the current rather than replacing three starters like this year, we'll be much better than our record. So while the RPI, record may indicate a midlin B10 team, our actual playing ability will be Purdue level. The seed will of course be important, but that's how good I think this team will be by the end of the season.

-Minimum Top 5 Conference Finish /Top 3 would be a real success

-Maybe more important, another top recruiting class. This will be tricky because it won't happen settling for local talent because Minnesota lacks a top 100 player next year. Tubby will have to attract talent here again.

Sampsons gonna be a monster next year. Iverson needs to step it up he couldnt compete down low tonite...Westbrook needs to slow it down a little bit takes uneeded shot

1. 24-9
2. 12-7
3. Second Round NCAA tournament

1. not sure without schedule
2. 11-7 - I think we improve, but I think the conference will too, sans Wisconsin of course.
3. 8 seed and at least one win.

I really believe the imcoming class and the improvement from Iverson and Ralph will help our guards immensely. Royce, Trevor and Rodney do a great job of FINISHING around the basket and also do a great job at catching the ball around the basket and in transition. A lot of times the bigs were fumbling the ball and not expecting passes.

I have seen Nolen play for years and he has too much talent and is too good of player to keep playing how he has been the last month or two. He will definately flourish with the incoming class.

Can't wait to see the Nolen to Rodney alley-oops!!!!

I am SOOO excited for next season!!!

Side note- It has been discussed that Brewster would let Henderson play basketball at the U of M if he chooses to come here. Would have been nice to see what he could do against Pittman. Man was he a beast!

Assuming Tubby is here and there are no major unexpected personnel losses, I'd say 11 conference wins, a 5 seed in the NCAA or higher and at least 1 win, preferabley a Sweet 16. Can't peg an overall record without knowing the non-conference schedule

25 W On Selection Sunday

12-6 in B10 and 2 W in B10 tourney.

2 W in NCAA = 27 W by end of season.

Expectations are simple

1. Big 10 Title
2. NCAA Title
3. Graduate Players.

Goals <> Expectations

1. Big 10 Title
2. NCAA Title

Those are goals, but it's unrealistic to EXPECT that. You're sounding like a crazed Kentucky fan. By that measure, every team except one is a failure each season. Too many things can happen in a single elimination tourney to EXPECT to win every year. All you do is set the team up for failure...which, from your posts appears to be what you want...something to rip on. I hope it makes you happy...

For the rest of us reasonable people, I tend to be in agreement with most of what I've read. The top talent on this team next year will still be freshmen and sophomores. I expect improvement from maturity and experience. Without looking at the actual schedule:

- 21-24 wins and generally more competitive against (and beating) the better teams
- 10-11 BT wins with 1-2 wins over the top teams and a top 5 BT finish
- Progress from young talent
- NCAA tourney 2nd round

I'll be disappointed with anything less than the Sweet 16. Mostly because I think Sampson and Iverson will be bigger and stronger, Hoffarber will find his range again and Joseph will become a more reliable long-range shooter with a year under his belt. I don't expect any of the recruits to be Carmelo Anthony, but I expect one of Mbakwe, White or Williams to make enough of an impact to help us take a step forward.

Top Bottom