I kind of like this new 18 member league called the B1G: it kind of is following the 32 member league called the NFL...in revenue sharing any way.

walrus

Reaction score
Just look at how successful the NFL has been in building wealth for the NFL franchise owners! Most importantly, the NFL in it's present form, has been built on the concept that only one team can be the best every year. The rest of the franchises are to varying degrees "losers..."

Since the Vikings became a franchise member of the NFL in 1961 they have NEVER been the BEST team in the NFL, Damn, unless they win the 2025 Super Bowl, that will be 64 straight years of being a loser to some degree. And people are still willing to fill the stadium every week to see a team that most likely will only frustrate them in the end. Granted, they have been "runner-up" a number of times, but that was long ago now. Heck 64 years ago, Gopher Big Ten Football won an National Championship as it was called back in 1960.

Now we have the 18 team B1G. And we have the SEC, another league that just like the B1G is based upon the majority of teams being losers and generally are not deemed worthy of being the best team in any given year. Most of the SEC teams have been also rans just about every season. Unfortunately, ONLY the NFL has worked out a reward for all the "loser-class-franchises that are so necessary for the NFL to be the top football league in America. They invented the draft that rewards the biggest losers in the NFL.

The NFL does negotiate TV contracts for all franchises. As a result, they have revenue sharing. They also have salary caps. They are regulating how much a team can spend as it stockpiles talent on some franchises. How long was New England top dog? Now Kansas City? Just look at the decades the Lions were laughing-stock...the Bears...some of the other also-rans in the NFL.

Now the B1G has tv and streaming deals that pay all conference members and finally a play-off system so each B1G member school gets huge revenue sharing checks.

The B1G and SEC now need to find ways to have salary caps and other ways to reward the schools that play the "loser" role that helps allow Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State USC, et. al to be year in and year out powerful top dogs.

At least Minnesota gets a great revenue share from the stature of being a B1G conference member.

Maybe that's a good way to fund ALL the athletic programs the University of Minnesota runs...in Mens' and womens' sports. And, with the B1G Network a lot of these sports are televised. Choose your favorite carefully. Maybe you too can be rooting for a team that is competing for a conference championship!

Gopher Football is taking care of all the sports programs of the U of M...that is at least noteworthy to a certain extent.

Last edited:

Just look at how successful the NFL has been in building wealth for the NFL franchise owners! Most importantly, the NFL in it's present form, has been built on the concept that only one team can be the best every year. The rest of the franchises are to varying degrees "losers..."

Since the Vikings became a franchise member of the NFL in 1961 they have NEVER been the BEST team in the NFL, Damn, unless they win the 2025 Super Bowl, that will be 64 straight years of being a loser to some degree. And people are still willing to fill the stadium every week to see a team that most likely will only frustrate them in the end. Granted, they have been "runner-up" a number of times, but that was long ago now. Heck 64 years ago, Gopher Big Ten Football won an National Championship as it was called back in 1960.

Now we have the 18 team B1G. And we have the SEC, another league that just like the B1G is based upon the majority of teams being losers and generally are not deemed worthy of being the best team in any given year. Most of the SEC teams have been also rans just about every season. Unfortunately, ONLY the NFL has worked out a reward for all the "loser-class-franchises that are so necessary for the NFL to be the top football league in America. They invented the draft that rewards the biggest losers in the NFL.

The NFL does negotiate TV contracts for all franchises. As a result, they have revenue sharing. They also have salary caps. They are regulating how much a team can spend as it stockpiles talent on some franchises. How long was New England top dog? Now Kansas City? Just look at the decades the Lions were laughing-stock...the Bears...some of the other also-rans in the NFL.

Now the B1G has tv and streaming deals that and finally a play-off system and B1G member schools get huge revenue sharing checks.

The B1G and SEC now need to find ways to have salary caps and other ways to reward the schools that play the "loser" role that helps allow Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State USC, et. al to be year in and year out powerful top dogs.

At least Minnesota gets a great revenue share from the stature of being a B1G conference member.

Maybe that's a good way to fund ALL the athletic programs the University of Minnesota runs...in Mens' and womens' sports. And, with the B1G Network a lot of these sports are televised. Choose your favorite carefully. Maybe you too can be rooting for a team that is competing for a conference championship!

Gopher Football is taking care of all the sports programs of the U of M...that is at least noteworthy to a certain extent.
The Vikings were the best team in the NFL in 1969. They were NFL champions that season.

As for the rest of this drivel, what the hell are you even trying to say?

The Vikings lost to the damn Chiefs in the 1970 Super Bowl. What the hell are you even trying to say? Look it up. The Vikings NEVER have been top dog in football in America.

Last edited:

The Vikings lost to the damn Chiefs in the 1969 Super Bowl. What the hell are you even trying to say? Look it up. The Vikings NEVER have been top dog in football in America.
You did not say the top dog in football in America. You said, and I quote:

Since the Vikings became a franchise member of the NFL in 1961 they have NEVER been the BEST team in the NFL

The 1969 Vikings beat the Browns in the NFL championship game. The score was 27-7.
They went on to lose the Super Bowl to the AFL champion Chiefs. The next year, the leagues merged.

Maybe make sure the nurses give you your meds on time.

The 2009 Vikings really were the best team that year, but…I don’t want to divert into the “sports entertainment” choreography so common in that league.

Arguably 1998 although Atlanta just straight up beat the guys.

Oh well. Water under the bridge.

You did not say the top dog in football in America. You said, and I quote:

The 1969 Vikings beat the Browns in the NFL championship game. The score was 27-7.
They went on to lose the Super Bowl to the AFL champion Chiefs. The next year, the leagues merged.

Maybe make sure the nurses give you your meds on time.

I was stationed overseas for that game with the Browns in 1969 S0, I didn't see it or even hear it on the radio. And, that Super Bowl with the Chiefs was in January of 1970. I was away from my base in December and January of 69/70 so I missed a lot of football back in the states. I was sitting on a Destroyer off the coast of North Korea for that game with the Chiefs. Some buddies from my home base who took great pride in getting a message sent to me that Hank Strom and his Chiefs had beaten my Vikings. They were, of course Chiefs fans.

By the way, I married a Nurse Anesthetist and we are still together and going strong today. Life is so damn good, disco. Best to you buddy. Have a nice day.

All I know is the Vikings are infinitely more fun to watch and follow this year than the Gophers and college football in general. You have an ownership group that is all in on winning and a league structured for competitive balance.

On top of that, you have just flat out better athletes and more creative, unique offenses. I’ve been an all in college fan for the last two decades, but it’s hard to argue that the NFL is a much superior product these days.

't likeAll I know is the Vikings are infinitely more fun to watch and follow this year than the Gophers and college football in general. You have an ownership group that is all in on winning and a league structured for competitive balance.

On top of that, you have just flat out better athletes and more creative, unique offenses. I’ve been an all in college fan for the last two decades, but it’s hard to argue that the NFL is a much superior product these days.
Good for you for finally deciding what you like...and don't like. Life just may be too short to waste decades deciding you don't like something! But, that is probably just my take on life. Over and out.

Last edited:

Top Bottom