I don't understand the negativity for Coach Smith

The Truth

Reaction score
I do understand the dissatisfaction with what started out as a promising campaign that turned into a disaster but when you lose your starting PG and your only other option decides he's unhappy with the coaching staff and his role there isn't much you can do other than pray it works itself out. Obviously that didn't happen.

You didn't really hire a young, super hungry coach with a reputation as an elite recruiter. You hired a defensive minded coach with a solid reputation as a teacher of the game who had success early in his HC career as a guy who turned around struggling programs but had become burned out and complacent at an elite job. What Tubby has done for Gopher Ball is exactly what you hired him to do and what he's good at: He's made Minnesota Basketball respectable again and moving forward it's on much more solid footing than it was at the end of the Haskins scandal plauged era and the Monson debacle.

Yeah, things don't always work out and mistakes are made. Tubby's made them this season and he'll probably make some more. But I think he's done a good job thus far in making Minnesota competitve, returning to the post season, raising the profile of the program with some big wins and I think, before it's over, he'll have one more great run in him.

I do think as a person who observes the program from afar but also has some insight on the coaching staff that there definitly needs to be some changes made to maximaze the footing already in place. Recruiting has to improve, facilities need to get better and at least one young recruiter with solid ties with the high school and AAU coaches in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois etc needs to be added. Jirsa is dead weight. Saul is solid and enthusastic but still young in terms of experience in recruiting at a Big 10 program. Tubby really needs to go outside his comfort zone and hire someone that maybe he hasn't worked with before or doesn't have a presonal relationship with. Or Minnesota can open a checkbook and try to lure George Felton out of retirment. There's a man who is still probably more plugged in with the AAU scene than guys half his age despite being out of the college game for 10 years.

These are some of the steps that need to be taken to take Gopher Basketball to the next level. Whining and crying about what Tubby isn't or looking for answers when the only one was when Nolen went down to injury for a crucial stretch won't cut it.

It is a message board. The highs are too high and the lows are too low. It is the same on every message board.

Well, 6th, 7th, 6th and 9th in the Big Ten is not exactly turning the program around especially since many of his recruits have left. Blaming Al Nolen's injury for this season is the easy way out. Not even Tubby would suggest that. Nolen isn't exactly all Big Ten material. The bigger question is why wasn't there a player behind Nolen that was just as good? Wouldn't take much.

I think I have an open mind at this point, if the 2010 and 2011 recruiting classes have a 55% transfer rate like the 2008 and 2009 classes have had, I will turn skeptical. Hopefully this is an aberration and not the norm.

I think Tubby is getting blame because people thought he would come in right away do do big things. He did that by taking us to the NIT his first year (we only won 9 games the season before) So, a lot of fans, including myself figured it would only be up from there. Which it has been until this year. It amazes me that people are as upset as they are, but I can see it. When you live is a sports state that hasn't done anything in forever, you try to latch onto anything that looks like a winner. Tubby looked to be that, but it hasn't happend yet. I do think it will and happen and the wagon will fill right back up.

On a side note, I know there was some talk about changes being made to the seating at "The Barn". Has there been anymore to that? I hope we can somehow either get students on both ends or do what OSU did and put them a long the side.

http://http://mnsportssidefx.blogspot.com/

http://sportstearsinourbeers.blogspot.com/

Preferred seating changes begin with 2012-13 season. By most accounts it appears preferred seating (all seats with chairbacks will require a fee) will be $500 per seat from endline to endline, $200 per seat for the corners, and $100 per seat on the ends. I'm speaking specifically about the lower deck, would guess similar fees for chairbacks in the first few rows of the upper deck.

Well, 6th, 7th, 6th and 9th in the Big Ten is not exactly turning the program around especially since many of his recruits have left. Blaming Al Nolen's injury for this season is the easy way out. Not even Tubby would suggest that. Nolen isn't exactly all Big Ten material. The bigger question is why wasn't there a player behind Nolen that was just as good? Wouldn't take much.

minngg I am convinced that Nolen must have stole or f'd your girlfriend because you use every posting opportunity to take a swipe at him. It's clear that Nolen was more than "good enough" to play in the Big Ten and his injury a major factor in the Gophers death spiral this past season.

The real question is this: Are you man enough to get your woman back? First step might be to spend a little less time on the comment boards.

I think the dissatisfaction with Tubby can be summed up fairly easily. At the beginning of the last two years expectations for the team have been much higher than the results at the end of the year. Some of the issues with the team have been beyond Tubby's control and some have not. At the end of the day Tubby is the head man for the basketball program and is responsible for the results of the program.

I also think that since Tubby is getting paid $2million a year, we should expect a rather quick turnaround. He is the highest paid state employee. When making this kind of salary, expectations should be high. Losing our pg's as we did, certainly hurt this team, but that does not explain losing our last 10 of 11 games. If we are one player away from flushing a whole season down the drain, then that falls on the coach for not properly recruiting players. I do not believe people want a change, yet, but there has to be some marked improvment next year, otherwise why are we paying him $2million a year?

I do understand the dissatisfaction with what started out as a promising campaign that turned into a disaster but when you lose your starting PG and your only other option decides he's unhappy with the coaching staff and his role there isn't much you can do other than pray it works itself out. Obviously that didn't happen.

You didn't really hire a young, super hungry coach with a reputation as an elite recruiter. You hired a defensive minded coach with a solid reputation as a teacher of the game who had success early in his HC career as a guy who turned around struggling programs but had become burned out and complacent at an elite job. What Tubby has done for Gopher Ball is exactly what you hired him to do and what he's good at: He's made Minnesota Basketball respectable again and moving forward it's on much more solid footing than it was at the end of the Haskins scandal plauged era and the Monson debacle.

Yeah, things don't always work out and mistakes are made. Tubby's made them this season and he'll probably make some more. But I think he's done a good job thus far in making Minnesota competitve, returning to the post season, raising the profile of the program with some big wins and I think, before it's over, he'll have one more great run in him.

I do think as a person who observes the program from afar but also has some insight on the coaching staff that there definitly needs to be some changes made to maximaze the footing already in place. Recruiting has to improve, facilities need to get better and at least one young recruiter with solid ties with the high school and AAU coaches in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois etc needs to be added. Jirsa is dead weight. Saul is solid and enthusastic but still young in terms of experience in recruiting at a Big 10 program. Tubby really needs to go outside his comfort zone and hire someone that maybe he hasn't worked with before or doesn't have a presonal relationship with. Or Minnesota can open a checkbook and try to lure George Felton out of retirment. There's a man who is still probably more plugged in with the AAU scene than guys half his age despite being out of the college game for 10 years.

These are some of the steps that need to be taken to take Gopher Basketball to the next level. Whining and crying about what Tubby isn't or looking for answers when the only one was when Nolen went down to injury for a crucial stretch won't cut it.

The Truth, I moved to Purdue in 1997. I kept thinking how bad coach Keady was. In a few miles South of WL, I saw how bad coach Knight was. Year after year, I kept seeing the changes in college basketball. This year finally something hit the fan. We see young coaches doing more than ever. I kept thinking about the reason. I finally came up with this reason. I am not saying that it is the correct one but it makes sense to me.

I believe college basketball is destroyed just like NBA. We can thank Mr. Stern for doing such a great job of getting us here. The only coaches that are doing well now are the ones who recruit the best players in the country or are the ones who preach street basketball. These young coaches couldn't possibly know as much as Coaches, Smith, Pitinio, Williams, K, Keady, and Knight. They just tell their player to go out and play like you want. There is no coaching involved. Do you think that Heat's coach is really coahing James and the other 2 clawns? Its the same thing in college basketball now. STREE BASKETBALL RULES.

After watching UK-MSU game the other night, I realized how much college basketball is changed. This change was slow but it got here. I realized how well Tubby can coach. When I see UK basketball now, I feel like I am watching NBA. There is not much of excitement.

I feel so bad for thinking less of coach Keady and Knight. I had no idea that one day this was going to happen to all the great coaches.

Please take your sarcasm elsewhere. Coach Smith is not an average coach. He is a winner and like other great coaches, he has done it in a right way. Your coach's final4 will be taken away in a few years anyway.

Go Gophers

Drex, thanks for your concern, but I only bring it up when posters feel the need to bring it up as an excuse for this season. He simply isn't good enough to be used as an excuse. Sorry. Stop making the excuse and I will stop bringing it up.

The Truth, I moved to Purdue in 1997. I kept thinking how bad coach Keady was. In a few miles South of WL, I saw how bad coach Knight was. Year after year, I kept seeing the changes in college basketball. This year finally something hit the fan. We see young coaches doing more than ever. I kept thing about the reason. I finally came up with this reason. I am not saying that it is the correct one but it makes sense to me.

I believe college basketball is destroyed just like NBA. We can thank Mr. Stern for doing such a great job of getting us here. The only coaches that are doing well now are the ones who recruit the best players in the country or are the ones who preach street basketball. These young coaches couldn't possibly know as much as Coaches, Smith, Pitinio, Williams, K, Keady, and Knight. They just tell their player to go out and play like you want. There is no coaching involved. Do you thing that Heat's coach is really coahing James and the other 2 clawns? Its the same thing in college basketball now. STREE BASKETBALL RULES.

After watching UK-MSU game the other night, I realized how much college basketball is changed. This change was slow but it got here. I realized how well Tubby can coach. When I see UK basketball now, I feel like I am watching NBA. There is not much of excitement.

I feel so bad for thinking less of coach Keady and Knight. I had no idea that one day this was going to happen to all the great coaches.

Please take your sarcasm elsewhere. Coach Smith is not an average coach. He is a winner and like other great coaches, he has done it in a right way. Your coach's final4 will be taken away in a few years anyway.

Go Gophers

The Real Truth.

Devoe Joseph.

He can create offensively, but is less skilled defensively, he was not a bad player. Some people say, "It's Tubby's fault, he didn't recruit well enough." These people seem to forget that Tubby and his crappy recruiting had TWO very servicable, veteran, upperclassmen PG's at the beginning of this season (not to mention Cobbs at the end of last season). What are the odds that 2 players playing the SAME position go down in a single season? Having to rely on your third-string player at any position, much less PG, the leader of the team, is not a recipe for success.

And I don't think Al Nolen was just some run-of-the-mill PG. Maybe not All Big Ten, but he was a good ball handler, he could drive the lane, he was very quick and a great defender. He was a big reason we beat Ohio State in 2010 (aside from the fact that Evan Turner wasn't playing of course:rolleyes: ). No matter how good you think Nolen was, at the very least he didn't suck, and he was an actual PG. He was a better PG than Hoffarber was anyway, and then of course it didn't help that we had to have our starting shooting guard play out of his natural position.

Four things went wrong for us in the last year regarding the PG position:

1. We didn't get Cory Joseph
2. Justin Cobbs transferred
3. Devoe Joseph transferred
4. Al Nolen got injured

I think if just ONE of those things hadn't happened, we would have had a significantly better season and made the tourney. Ok, maybe Justin Cobbs wouldn't have been the savior this season, but this team would have been just fine with Nolen, Joseph, or Joseph running the point.

Am I excusing losing 10 of the last 11 games? No, even with Hoff running the point and all the crap that went down, that shouldn't have happened. Tubby perhaps didn't deal with the team's problems as well as he could have. However, it was a perfect storm that caused all of it to happen at the SAME TIME. Tubby may not have dealt with the problems well, but he never would have had to deal with those problems if he had gotten lucky, or simply not gotten unlucky, just once in this whole PG fiasco.

I personally think the Gophers are very fortunate to have Tubby as our coach.

I guarantee you whoever Joel would come up with to replace Tubby would be nowhere near as good a coach as Tubby.

The last two years have been pretty tough but I do not think it was all Tubby's fault (a lot of it falls at the feet of AD Maturi).

I know for sure when next November rolls around I will be vey excited and looking forward to a great year.

I have total faith in Tubby Smith!!! (and that's not kool aid talking)

Ridiculous

Devoe Joseph.

He can create offensively, but is less skilled defensively, he was not a bad player. Some people say, "It's Tubby's fault, he didn't recruit well enough." These people seem to forget that Tubby and his crappy recruiting had TWO very servicable, veteran, upperclassmen PG's at the beginning of this season (not to mention Cobbs at the end of last season). What are the odds that 2 players playing the SAME position go down in a single season? Having to rely on your third-string player at any position, much less PG, the leader of the team, is not a recipe for success.

And I don't think Al Nolen was just some run-of-the-mill PG. Maybe not All Big Ten, but he was a good ball handler, he could drive the lane, he was very quick and a great defender. He was a big reason we beat Ohio State in 2010 (aside from the fact that Evan Turner wasn't playing of course:rolleyes: ). No matter how good you think Nolen was, at the very least he didn't suck, and he was an actual PG. He was a better PG than Hoffarber was anyway, and then of course it didn't help that we had to have our starting shooting guard play out of his natural position.

4. Al Nolen got injured

I think if just ONE of those things hadn't happened, we would have had a significantly better season and made the tourney. Ok, maybe Justin Cobbs wouldn't have been the savior this season, but this team would have been just fine with Nolen, Joseph, or Joseph running the point.

Am I excusing losing 10 of the last 11 games? No, even with Hoff running the point and all the crap that went down, that shouldn't have happened. Tubby perhaps didn't deal with the team's problems as well as he could have. However, it was a perfect storm that caused all of it to happen at the SAME TIME. Tubby may not have dealt with the problems well, but he never would have had to deal with those problems if he had gotten lucky, or simply not gotten unlucky, just once in this whole PG fiasco.

Why in the world would you try and inject some logic and reasoning in the middle of a good coach-bashing thread like this?

I suppose the next thing you're going to say is that losing Moe Walker had nothing to do with the team's lack of depth either. Don't be stupid...

The Real Truth? I'm not buying it.

You mention how the only coaches having success are the young coaches who can recruit and let players do whatever they want on the court. When I've watched teams coached by Brad Stevens, Matt Painter, Sean Miller, Chris Mack, Jamie Dixon, Mark Fox, Shaka Smart, and others over the last few years I've seen well-coached, fundamentally sound teams made up of players who often fall outside elite national recruits.

When Bob Knight lead the Hoosiers to the last undefeated season in college basketball, he was 36 years old. Don Haskins won his seminal NCAA title with Texas Western at age 36. Dean Smith's first trip to the Final Four was also at age 36. Pitino was a bit younger at age 35 when he made the Final Four, Coach K was 39 when he first made it to the national title game. Of the coaches listed above, only Stevens and Smart are coaches who brought teams to the Final Four in their 30's; both went to their first Final Four at age 33, the same age that Knight was when he went to his first Final Four.

Knight was a better college basketball coach at age 36 than he was at age 56, when he was typically exiting the NCAA tournament in the first round. That's not to say that Knight knew more at age 36 than 56, but his results as a young man were better than as a coach with all that experience. Was it his relationship with players? His ability to recruit players? Was he able to adjust to the game like he did as a young coach?

There's something to be said for the innovation and energy that a younger man brings to his profession. A younger man is also less removed from the players he coaches in age and experiences and that may play a significant role in how he's able to get players to buy into the program.

I personally think the Gophers are very fortunate to have Tubby as our coach.

I guarantee you whoever Joel would come up with to replace Tubby would be nowhere near as good a coach as Tubby.

The last two years have been pretty tough but I do not think it was all Tubby's fault (a lot of it falls at the feet of AD Maturi).

I know for sure when next November rolls around I will be vey excited and looking forward to a great year.

I have total faith in Tubby Smith!!! (and that's not kool aid talking)

You are correct, Joel wouldn't be able to find a better basketball coach than Smith. However, he could easily find a better recruiter, and these days, that's all it might take.

Devoe Joseph.

4. Al Nolen got injured

Exactly my feelings. There certainly isn't any excuse for the way the season ended. Even with everything that happened, there's no reason to lost 10 out of 11. But it's certainly understandable for the team to not perform nearly as well after Nolen went down.

The funny thing about those who say "where's the depth?" or whatever, before the season started, I think most of us would agree that we had pretty good depth. We had 3 capable big men (Mbakwe, Sampson, Iverson) and 4 guards/forwards (Nolen, Joseph, Hoffarber, Williams), two of which could run the point. That's 7 guys with good experience. If we don't have significant injuries or transfers, we're a very deep team this season.

Exactly my feelings. There certainly isn't any excuse for the way the season ended. Even with everything that happened, there's no reason to lost 10 out of 11. But it's certainly understandable for the team to not perform nearly as well after Nolen went down.

The funny thing about those who say "where's the depth?" or whatever, before the season started, I think most of us would agree that we had pretty good depth. We had 3 capable big men (Mbakwe, Sampson, Iverson) and 4 guards/forwards (Nolen, Joseph, Hoffarber, Williams), two of which could run the point. That's 7 guys with good experience. If we don't have significant injuries or transfers, we're a very deep team this season.

Would you rather be deep, or talented? I agree that the Gophers will be deep, but I'm not sure they'll have enough top-end talent to compete for a top 6 finish in the league. There is little evidence to suggest that any player will make a significant leap in overall performance with Smith at the helm. We'll see though. Mo Walker could be a nice player and Andre Hollins looks pretty decent. Let's break it down a little more:

Rodney Williams, has been a pretty harsh disappointment thus far but will most certainly play a larger role next season. Maybe that will give him the confidence to actually assert himself.

Ralph Sampson III, another disappointment. Sadly, he'll probably be the Gophers top offensive threat.

Andre Hollins, looks like he's got a chance to start right away. I'm excited about this kid for sure.

Austin Hollins, proved he's not as good a shooter as some expected. With an NBA coach for a dad, he could grow his skills.

Mo Walker, questions surround how he will react after missing a season with a significant injury. If he fully recovers, he could be a good player at both ends.

Elliot Elliason, hopefully he added 15-20 pounds.

Oto, might be a good spot-up shooter, but no one really knows what this kid has to offer.

Chip, probably come off the bench and offer what he did this season. Bad shooter, great slasher.

The Real Truth? I'm not buying it.

You mention how the only coaches having success are the young coaches who can recruit and let players do whatever they want on the court. When I've watched teams coached by Brad Stevens, Matt Painter, Sean Miller, Chris Mack, Jamie Dixon, Mark Fox, Shaka Smart, and others over the last few years I've seen well-coached, fundamentally sound teams made up of players who often fall outside elite national recruits.

When Bob Knight lead the Hoosiers to the last undefeated season in college basketball, he was 36 years old. Don Haskins won his seminal NCAA title with Texas Western at age 36. Dean Smith's first trip to the Final Four was also at age 36. Pitino was a bit younger at age 35 when he made the Final Four, Coach K was 39 when he first made it to the national title game. Of the coaches listed above, only Stevens and Smart are coaches who brought teams to the Final Four in their 30's; both went to their first Final Four at age 33, the same age that Knight was when he went to his first Final Four.

Knight was a better college basketball coach at age 36 than he was at age 56, when he was typically exiting the NCAA tournament in the first round. That's not to say that Knight knew more at age 36 than 56, but his results as a young man were better than as a coach with all that experience. Was it his relationship with players? His ability to recruit players? Was he able to adjust to the game like he did as a young coach?

There's something to be said for the innovation and energy that a younger man brings to his profession. A younger man is also less removed from the players he coaches in age and experiences and that may play a significant role in how he's able to get players to buy into the program.

coolhandgopher, I am not sure what to say. Your points are very valid. Unlike mine, your posts are very intelligent. I do enjoy reading your posts.

I like to mention two things: 1. why isn't Pat Riley taking over the coaching job in Miami? 2. the year after coach Knight's departure, IU went all the way with Mike Davis. That team was filled with great players. We all know that Mike Davis is a great guy but cannot coach. The reason that he won all of those games was because of the team that coach Knight had built. Players did anything they wanted on the court.

My point here is that NCAA has become like NBA. Players are ruling now. You could give Lamb, Night, and Jones to any coach in the country and get the results that Calamari got this season. I believe that X and O coaches are in trouble. Seriously, is there a coach better than Pitino out there. Ok, maybe a few but not that many. Rick has not met the expectations of Cardinal land.

We had 2 players this season who transferred because of lack of playing time. Please give me an example of this from 20-30 years ago. In the past, players would work their butts off to earn the playing time. Now, they make us bitch at the coaches for not developing them.

Like I said before, I beleive in Tubby's system. He can and will do it here in MN in a right way. We will be back here next year around this time.

To all Gopher fans on this board, please don't read too much into what The Truth and his firend say on this board. They only come here to bash Tubby when UK is winning. Where were they at the beginning of this season?

Go Gophers

Drex, thanks for your concern, but I only bring it up when posters feel the need to bring it up as an excuse for this season. He simply isn't good enough to be used as an excuse. Sorry. Stop making the excuse and I will stop bringing it up.

Whether Nolen was all BT material or not, is not the issue. He was our point guard. When we lost him we lost that very important piece of the puzzle. You can argue that the team was never as good as many hoped it would be. I agree. But, it can't be said that the loss of Nolen was no big deal. It was.

Part of a coaches job is to keep players he recruits. At least that is what I was told when players from other teams transfer. All I am saying is losing one average player to injury should not derail a GOOD team's season. With Nolen we win 3 or 4 more games. Tops. Even giving those to Tubby, we have a lot of work to do before we are looked at as a competitor in the Big Ten for a championship. My god, if losing a player of Nelen's caliber is going to wreck your season, we are too thin to expect to win down the stretch anyway. At the end of the year we were the 2nd worse team in the Big Ten. With or without Nolen, that is inexcuseable.

Part of a coaches job is to keep players he recruits. At least that is what I was told when players from other teams transfer. All I am saying is losing one average player to injury should not derail a GOOD team's season. With Nolen we win 3 or 4 more games. Tops. Even giving those to Tubby, we have a lot of work to do before we are looked at as a competitor in the Big Ten for a championship. My god, if losing a player of Nelen's caliber is going to wreck your season, we are too thin to expect to win down the stretch anyway. At the end of the year we were the 2nd worse team in the Big Ten. With or without Nolen, that is inexcuseable.

I enjoy how you conveniently ignore 420's transfer.

Your record is broken - time to sing a different tune.

I'm sorry isn't VCU and Butler in the final four? If there ever is evidence that less talented players and teams can be coached up and successfull it is this year!!

Kentucky may have had more talent last year than this year, but I feel this team is more coachable. McDonald's All American's tend to like to play for coaches who give them the green light to freelance some on offense. This explains Matta and Calipari.

I didn't ignore Joseph's transfer. At least my broken record is the truth. Yours is a lie. Joseph transferred due to playing time and a riff with the coach. It is just easier for you to let Tubby off the hook by saying it was dope. Maybe you can explain each transfer and make excuses for them, but when you total them all up......the person at the top must accept the blame for the depth of the team.

I didn't ignore Joseph's transfer. At least my broken record is the truth. Yours is a lie. Joseph transferred due to playing time and a riff with the coach. It is just easier for you to let Tubby off the hook by saying it was dope. Maybe you can explain each transfer and make excuses for them, but when you total them all up......the person at the top must accept the blame for the depth of the team.

Please show me where I let Tubby off the hook.

You're trying to pretend it was the loss of one player, when it was, for the latter half of this season, the loss of 3 (including Mo Walker), and for the last couple seasons, the loss of many more (Cobbs, White, Carter) for a myriad of reasons.

I'm not saying it's not Tubby's fault. I'm saying that it's time for you to stop pretending it was just one player.

Devoe is an idiot regardless. Lost a year of eligibility basically, only gets to play half a season, couldve been a starter when nolen went down, Failed classes intentionally etc.. hes just stupid regardless whos fault it was

Devoe transfering is devoe thinking he's all that. I bet he doesn't play any more at Oregon than he did in Minnesota. With a healthy Nolen, show me where devoe deserved more playing time than Hoff or Al. He probably didn't and he couldn't face that reality. Hoff was 10 times the shooter and Nolen was at least twice the point guard. He would be starting next year had he stayed though so I don't buy the playing time arguement because he would had 2 years as a starter.

Top Bottom