I am surprised that the two-point chart says to go for two when up four points

Chris Monter

Reaction score
I'll admit that if I were a coach I would go for two a lot. My feeling is that if you can't get three yards half the time, you don't deserve to win and I think that it would put extra pressure on your opponent. However, if you needed the traditional extra point to tie a game or other situations, I'd go for one.

Despite this, I am surprised that the chart (I posted the link) tells you to go for two when up four. I understand that if you make it, it makes it a six-point game and the opponent would have to score a touchdown and make an extra point to get the win. However, the odds of missing an extra point are often slim.

While watching the game with a buddy who is IU alum, I said that if they miss the two-point conversion, it will come back to haunt them and it did. If the score is 42-40, they would never attempted that lateral and would have simply kicked a chip shot field goal by the school's all-time top kicker and Minnesota is suddenly 6-3, instead of 7-2.

http://www.theredzone.org/Features/TwoPointConversionChart.aspx

Just my thoughts.

Chris Monter

I could understand going for 2 if there was just a minute left or so. But you're right, it was odd.

I understand, but if IU is up by 5 when Williams scores, the Gophers then go for 2. Assuming they make it, it's still a 3-point game.

Good call Breakin' The Plane. I hadn't thought of that. My friend, the IU alum, felt that they should have used their running QB on the two-point conversion, which would have given them a running and/or passing option.

Chris Monter

with how easy they were scoring on our defense, that should have come in to play too.

Top Bottom