Hypothetic pickup game…..

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
Willis. Vs. Carrington
Stephens Vs Ihnen
Loewe Vs. Fox
Battle Vs Battle
Curry. Vs Payne

if these 2 teams played tomorrow, I’d bet on next years squad. I know Battle is on both teams. It’s a hypothetical. Play along. My point is, that next year squad already has more talent in this year’s squad. Looking forward to see what Ben can do with a full roster.

Last edited:

I too, think there is already more upside next year. I'm confident or hopeful we add about three
experienced transfers before next season and then there is no wondering...we will have far more talent. We need the transfers for some experienced guards.

Garcia might come off the bench...............

Willis. Vs. Carrington
Stephens Ihnen
Loewe Fox
Battle Battle
Curry. Payne

if these 2 teams played tomorrow, I’d bet on next years squad. I know Battle is on both teams. It’s a hypothetical. Play along. My point is, that next year squad already has more talent in this year’s squad. Looking forward to see what Ben can do with a full roster.

Next years team clearly has more potential and longer term upside.

But youre gonna bet on a team tomorrow with 2 guys that have never played college ball, another that has never played D1 and is out for a full season and another that also is out for the season and to this point has proven nothing more than anyone on the other roster??????

Basically youre hoping cloned Battle is good shooting Battle and the other is off.

Next years team clearly has more potential and longer term upside.

But youre gonna bet on a team tomorrow with 2 guys that have never played college ball, another that has never played D1 and is out for a full season and another that also is out for the season and to this point has proven nothing more than anyone on the other roster??????

Basically youre hoping cloned Battle is good shooting Battle and the other is off.
Nope. I’d take the bet. Next years team is physically more gifted already Ihnen, Fox and Payne are better defensively right now than our squad is. The only assumption that would cause me to hesitate is that Fox and Ihnen come back at least equal to their past health-wise.

Willis. Vs. Carrington
Stephens Vs Ihnen
Loewe Vs. Fox
Battle Vs Battle
Curry. Vs Payne

Fox might kill Loewe. You might need to shuffle the line-up.

Nope. I’d take the bet. Next years team is physically more gifted already Ihnen, Fox and Payne are better defensively right now than our squad is. The only assumption that would cause me to hesitate is that Fox and Ihnen come back at least equal to their past health-wise.
Where do the points come from, though? No newcomers are proven scorers. Ihnen was stationary shooter (and not a great one statistically). He looked like he was picking up a pull up jumper but who knows where he’s at. Fox I’m told is an athlete but not a gifted shooter. Its unwise to expect freshman to come in and put up points consistently.

your talking about a group of 23-24 year olds with six seasons of college basketball under their belts going against a bunch of 17-18 year olds.

Payne is better defensively to you based off high school highlight reels.

Him and Carrington have not played college at all and neither of them are Paolo Banchero in High school.

Just unrealistic to think they would right now would wipe 23 year olds off the court.

In other words. Have that second team play at Michigan. They get run out of the damn gym.

Payne is better defensively to you based off high school highlight reels.

Him and Carrington have not played college at all and neither of them are Paolo Banchero in High school.

Just unrealistic to think they would right now would wipe 23 year olds off the court.

In other words. Have that second team play at Michigan. They get run out of the damn gym.
i mean to be fair....the 1st team would get ran out of the gym if they played Michigan again as well....

Not a frequest poster, but enjoy the banter. I have to go with those saying the new guys coming in are not going to provide the muscle to significantly improve Gophers inside game. To me, this means the portal's going to be important not just for guards which most have been saying. Last year the timing was bad and it was BJ's first year. This year, he needs to hit on a couple of legit big's. The guys they have coming in (so far) don't really have that build IMO. Comparing to what the Gophers have currently is a super low bar. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't see how next year is not another wash with some improvement, hopefully most of the playing time will be from guy's returning at least another year. I expect two years from now to be a competitive Big Ten team.

Willis. Vs. Carrington
Stephens Vs Ihnen
Loewe Vs. Fox
Battle Vs Battle
Curry. Vs Payne

Next year team has a two guard playing Point, a four playing the two and a 4/5 playing the three in this scenario. I'm taking this years team. Add two of Mike Jones, Sy Chatman and Kerwin Walton and a PG to be named later then I'll change my mnd.

Next year team has a two guard playing Point, a four playing the two and a 4/5 playing the three in this scenario. I'm taking this years team. Add two of Mike Jones, Sy Chatman and Kerwin Walton and a PG to be named later then I'll change my mnd.
Unfortunately, Chatman would be in a similar situation to what Parker Fox is doing right now. Rehabbing a torn up knee.

Willis. Vs. Carrington
Stephens Vs Ihnen
Loewe Vs. Fox
Battle Vs Battle
Curry. Vs Payne

Cool, fun, positive thread - txs!

As of right now, the squad on the left kills the squad on the right. We don't have any guards and I hope Carrington is eased into playing time. I'm a little more optimistic about his ability to contribute a bit his FR season but I don't want to have to count on it.

I also think that a portal Big is a absolute necessity. I am not giving up on TT, but let's face it - at this point he is a liability on defense, and the rest of the team can't score enough to make up the difference.

So, the coaching staff needs, at a minimum, to hit the portal and find a PG and a Post who can start on Day 1. Find a competent post, and Payne can work his way into the lineup, while TT sees time at Post, PF or even SF depending on the situation. (providing he can make outside shots).

(disclaimer - post must have good hands.........)

going out on a limb here, but I think Ramberg would be playing a lot more minutes if he had not been injured. Johnson seemed to like his energy off the bench - which is something the current team is really lacking now. So, I do not count out Ramberg as a rotational player next year.

I could see this year's team being stronger at the beginning due to experience and faltering later as their relative lack of talent is exposed, and next year's team struggling early and getting better as the season goes on and they gain experience.

I hope?

As of right now, the squad on the left kills the squad on the right. We don't have any guards and I hope Carrington is eased into playing time. I'm a little more optimistic about his ability to contribute a bit his FR season but I don't want to have to count on it.
Of course, this is hard to predict since the team on the left has played together for a year, and you'd have to depend on Carrington to produce at the point. However, Ihnen and Fox are both excellent rebounders and would provide some measure of interior defense, and Payne would provide both as well as some excellent post moves and athleticism. That front line is light years better than the team on the left. If you don't believe that about Payne, watch him play live. The guy is VERY good and is going to get better. So the team on the left would have better guard play, but peeking into the future, Johnson has recruited a lot of kids for both the Gophers previously and Xavier, and I think he'll find a point guard that will fill that need. If he doesn't there could be some issues.

Willis. Vs. Carrington
Stephens Vs Ihnen
Loewe Vs. Fox
Battle Vs Battle
Curry. Vs Payne

if these 2 teams played tomorrow, I’d bet on next years squad. I know Battle is on both teams. It’s a hypothetical. Play along. My point is, that next year squad already has more talent in this year’s squad. Looking forward to see what Ben can do with a

Best talent doesn't always win,
Best team's win where players know their rolls

Not a frequest poster, but enjoy the banter. I have to go with those saying the new guys coming in are not going to provide the muscle to significantly improve Gophers inside game. To me, this means the portal's going to be important not just for guards which most have been saying. Last year the timing was bad and it was BJ's first year. This year, he needs to hit on a couple of legit big's. The guys they have coming in (so far) don't really have that build IMO. Comparing to what the Gophers have currently is a super low bar. I hope I'm wrong.
We need to get a big that opponents just get out of the way in the paint.

Top Bottom