Huskers QB must clear concussion protocol; Thursday might be decision day - Omaha.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
LINCOLN — Tommy Armstrong likely will start the practice week Tuesday standing next to offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf as Nebraska begins preparations for Minnesota.

It maybe won’t be clear until later in the week where the NU quarterback is standing when the Gophers visit Memorial Stadium.

Husker coach Mike Riley said Monday that Armstrong was in concussion protocol, the required follow-up after the senior was knocked unconscious Saturday night during the 62-3 loss at Ohio State.

It was good news that Armstrong appeared to be feeling well, Riley said, but he also acknowledged that would mean nothing until Armstrong was cleared by NU medical personnel.

“That’s what we have to wait for,” Riley said. “This is out of our hands, which is a good thing.”

Riley said he anticipated that Armstrong would not practice Tuesday, leaving fifth-year senior Ryker Fyfe to take the snaps with the No. 1 offense. Fyfe would make his second career start if Armstrong remains unavailable, with Zack Darlington becoming the backup.

“I’m really reluctant at this stage of the year to put Patrick O’Brien in that spot, just because I’d like to keep his redshirt if at all possible,” Riley said.

Although Riley would not speculate on when he thought Armstrong could potentially return, he put Thursday as the point where the Huskers would probably need to make a decision on whether he would be in position to play or not.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_3f8561e2-52e6-5cff-83be-9e639482522d.html

Yeah. I think Riley just wants Minnesota to split prep between defending Armstrong and defending Fyfe.

NU’s detailed concussion protocol includes a student-athlete needing to complete a computerized neurocognitive test prior to release. Upon determination that he or she is back to his or her normal neurological state, the student-athlete is then monitored during a return to different levels of activity.

According to the protocol, if the unrestricted sport activity training level is tolerated without worsening or new symptoms, the student-athlete is allowed to return to full participation and competition.

Yeah. I think Riley just wants Minnesota to split prep between defending Armstrong and defending Fyfe.

Or, the institution has a concussion protocol in place, and are adhering to those rules.

Armstrong will be a mess after missing Tuesday's practice. He'll never catch up.
Advantage: Gophers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many times have we seen the Gophers list a player as "out" on Tuesday, and he shows up on the field on Saturday?

I expect Armstrong to play - until kickoff comes on Saturday and he's standing on the sideline in street clothes. Until then, I assume he's playing.

Or, the institution has a concussion protocol in place, and are adhering to those rules.

Fair enough, but I still think Riley is taking full advantage of the opportunity. Like S.O.N. I think T. Armstrong will play. I also think Riley already knows way more than he is discussing with the media. No big deal. Many coaches do this.

The conference has a protocol in place and the doctors are independent of the school is my understanding.

How many times have we seen the Gophers list a player as "out" on Tuesday, and he shows up on the field on Saturday?

I expect Armstrong to play - until kickoff comes on Saturday and he's standing on the sideline in street clothes. Until then, I assume he's playing.

My thoughts as well. He's the starter until he doesn't.

The conference has a protocol in place and the doctors are independent of the school is my understanding.

Still think the coaches have an idea of where he is at in this process. It's his starting QB. A am sure he is being updated frequently.

Regarding prep, hopefully coach Sawvel has a plan to exploit the perceived weaknesses in the Nebraska OL. Won't matter as much who the QB is.

The concussion protocol is a four step process, it takes a minimum of four days, at best you only get to miss progressing one day. What no one knows is if a repeat day will happen.

If Armstrong clears protocol, he will play and start. If he doesn't, he won't play. Simple as that. No one here has any medical knowledge as to if he will or won't be cleared so it's pointless to speculate. We will know on Thursday.

If Armstrong clears protocol, he will play and start. If he doesn't, he won't play. Simple as that. No one here has any medical knowledge as to if he will or won't be cleared so it's pointless to speculate. We will know on Thursday.
My point is that, even the doctors don't know, they go through the steps. Wednesday is the earliest he can be cleared.

My point is that, even the doctors don't know, they go through the steps. Wednesday is the earliest he can be cleared.

Lets say he's cleared Friday like afternoon?? Does he still start Saturday???

Top Bottom