http://gopherfootball.tripod.com/brickhouse.html

Norsk_Gopher

Reaction score
Memories of a Brick House

MemorialStadium.jpg

I’m not sure how long I have been going to Gopher football games (at least 25 years but most likely less than 32) but I don’t have any memories of the Brick House other than walking past it until it was torn down; I was 4 when they moved to the Metrodome. To be honest, I didn't think that I would enjoy football anymore at TCF Stadium than I did the Metrodome, but I do. That said, I thought I would make this post so we as a group can make one more trip down memory lane prior to kickoff tomorrow night. For those who did attend games at the old Memorial Stadium, what can you tell us about it, how did it feel? Any fun facts? Below are some general facts:

Place: Memorial Stadium (1924-1981)
Nickname: Brick House
Capacity (final configuration): 56,652 (without temp bleachers)
Record attendance: 66,284
Torn Down: 1992
Fun Facts: Both the Vikings (vs. Green Bay) and the Kicks (vs. Ft. Lauderdale Strikers) played a game there. The original entrance can be seen at the McNamara Alumni Center.
Wikipedia Page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Stadium_(University_of_Minnesota)
University Page: http://brickhouse.lib.umn.edu/

My Dad and my Grandma, both being longtime season ticket holders and alum's, often would remember games at Memorial Stadium. They both loved having games on-campus and loved the pregame festivities with the band and things of that nature.

Unfortunately, they quit playing in Memorial Stadium three years before I was born, so I never got to experience attending a game there. My experience has all be at the dome throughout college at the U and post-grad at TCF, which I have definitely enjoyed almost every home game there as a season ticket holder! (I have missed three. :( )

Good thread though! Looking forward to reading some other comments on it. :)

My first game was in 1973. My Saturdays always started with brunch an a couple drinks at Paul's Place. A Bus ride to the stadium. At that time we had bench seating, the isles were narrow. The bathrooms were antiquated. It need refurbishing then. Through out the 70's great games were played there. UCLA, Washington, Michigan. All wins for the ages. We saw USC. And the Heroic Hohensee performance against The Ohio State and Art Schlicther. Jay Carroll was unbelievable. Those teams had no facilities comparable to any opponent. Weight room might have been a weight bench, some dumbbells, an a medicine ball or two. Salem closed out the 1981 season with that Ohio State win and a 6-5 record. There was no support for refurbishing The Brickhouse. And the multiuse metro dome beckoned. For those of us who saw the band on University. The frat houses out on the lawn, the buzz on campus. Going to the metro dome was a form forced exile. Sure there were a few great games in the dome, but nothing compares to playing outside on campus.

My first game was in the mid 70s at the brickhouse with our little league football team. Ended up seeing 3 games there, great memories at that old place. It was never the same in the dome and when TCF first opened I finally bought my first Gopher Football season tickets and it has been great. Although I saw a few games over the years in the dome I never had a desire to purchase season tickets.

I went to a number of games at Memorial, starting in 1968 vs. OJ Simpson and USC. (Full disclosure - I was in my HS band, and the U used to have one game every year where they had "Band Days." HS bands from MN could go to the game, sit in the end zone, and at halftime, the HS bands would play a song or two along with the Gopher Marching band.)

After HS, when I was going to Augsburg, I made it over for a few Gopher games with my brother or other friends. I remember watching Warren Moon play for Washington (Gopher Victory.)

Yes, the facilities left a lot to be desired by modern standards, but it was a fun place to watch a game.

I can't remember the year, but when the Gophers changed to artificial turf, they gave out little souvenir squares of turf to fans. I had that thing sitting on my desk for years - don't remember what happened to it.

Nice replies so far, keep them coming. What did the place smell like? How where the sightlines? Any special in-game traditions (pretty sure no t-shirt guns back then)?

Nice replies so far, keep them coming. What did the place smell like? How where the sightlines? Any special in-game traditions (pretty sure no t-shirt guns back then)?

Had the pleasure of experiencing Memorial Stadium about 6 times before it's demise. First trip up from Austin was in 72' with a church youth group. I was a football fan and also a band person who immediately became hooked on Gopher Football before the first snap of the game. The sites and sounds of a large stadium and a large college marching band had me on the edge of my seat. I don't recall who we played but I am pretty sure Rick Upchurch was on that team. In following years saw USC, Ohio State (Hohensee/Carroll win) and the last game ever played at Memoral Stadium against the stinking Badgers. I owe my passion for Gopher Football to Memorial Stadium and that fine fall afternoon in 1972.

I remember going to several games at the brick house in the 50's. The ushers at that time were boy scouts. I think one of them could have been Dr.Don. Anyway it was a boy scout with a beer in his hand.

I attended two games in Memorial Stadium when I was a kid. I remember sitting in the SE corner for one of them and the NE corner for the other. I can't even remember the opponent for the game where I sat in the NE corner, but it was a victory. I remember the other one better. It would have been in the late 70's and it was against Oregon State. It was a close loss. I remember my dad bitching about how a lowly Pac 10 team could come in here and beat the Gophers on their own field. Of course, what followed in the 80's and 90's made that close loss look pretty good in hind-sight.

They used to have mass band events where all kinds of local high school bands would fill the west bleachers and get to play along with the U band. One of the games I attended had that going on too.

I was a little kid, growing up in a little farming town so anything as large as Memorial Stadium was bound to impress me but I do remember the feel that it was pretty old, even then. As a kid, I was all for the move to the metrodome. But, this is why we don't let little kids vote.

Anyone notice how well organized the bus parking is in the photo?:rolleyes:

I attended two games in Memorial Stadium when I was a kid. I remember sitting in the SE corner for one of them and the NE corner for the other. I can't even remember the opponent for the game where I sat in the NE corner, but it was a victory. I remember the other one better. It would have been in the late 70's and it was against Oregon State. It was a close loss. I remember my dad bitching about how a lowly Pac 10 team could come in here and beat the Gophers on their own field. Of course, what followed in the 80's and 90's made that close loss look pretty good in hind-sight.

They used to have mass band events where all kinds of local high school bands would fill the west bleachers and get to play along with the U band. One of the games I attended had that going on too.

I was a little kid, growing up in a little farming town so anything as large as Memorial Stadium was bound to impress me but I do remember the feel that it was pretty old, even then. As a kid, I was all for the move to the metrodome. But, this is why we don't let little kids vote.

just looked it up: Saturday, October 7, 1978. Oregon State 17, Minnesota 14.

I've actually looked it up before for a similar conversation here on Gopher hole but I just re-forget the year I went to that game each time I look it up.

Look at the crowd in the photo above to the right of mid-field. Looks like the fans made an M, like the S at Penn State. Here's another picture where you can see the M more clearly. Does anyone remember how they did that?

una23434_8a94f57b75.jpg

I starting attending games around 1970. It was fun walking down University Avenue before games and in particlar homecoming. The fraternities really stood out in those days because the band would march down U Ave. As far as the stadium, it was a neat old place with its' horseshoe design. I remember during one game a dog somehow getting in through the open end and running across the field to a great applause by the fans. Speaking of fans and applauding, I recall the fans applauding the Gophers after a close loss to Michigan (I doubt I'll ever see something like that again). I also recall the last game against SIN-BAD and unfortunately losing to the skunks. What I remember most from that last game is that some students used snow to spell out a players name and number on the upper wall in the closed end of the stadium. I happened to look down at the sidelines when that particlar player (I don't recall who?) was tipped off by a teammate to look up to see his "message.". Said player had a big smile on his face when he saw it. It's amusing the oddball things I recall and so little about the games.

Lets GoWay back

This is how I remember it as a U student in the late 40's. Leo the Lion, Bud Grant, Tonnemacker (sp), Billy Bye, etc. were the post war players. (This was a couple years before Paul Geil)

The student section including grad students started at the 50 yard line on the visitors side and extended all the way to the center of the closed end. Freshman started at the closed end and were able to work their way around toward the 50 yard line. (I never made it there because I just had a 4 year degree) It was common to "cheat" when getting your season tickets. I was a "Junior" after one year of school!!!!!

There still was a carry over from pre war years where some men wore Raccoon Coats.

Game day atmosphere was huge. The only show in Town. Bierman was in his last years as coach.

University ave was closed for the game. The greek houses were loaded with their alum returning for the games.

By the way. The students were made up to a large degree with returning WWII vets (Me included) so it is difficult to describe the atmosphere.

There was a student "Card" section that was high up on the 50 yard line that would spell or make different images.

Gee this brings back memories!

This is how I remember it as a U student in the late 40's. Leo the Lion, Bud Grant, Tonnemacker (sp), Billy Bye, etc. were the post war players. (This was a couple years before Paul Geil)

The student section including grad students started at the 50 yard line on the visitors side and extended all the way to the center of the closed end. Freshman started at the closed end and were able to work their way around toward the 50 yard line. (I never made it there because I just had a 4 year degree) It was common to "cheat" when getting your season tickets. I was a "Junior" after one year of school!!!!!

There still was a carry over from pre war years where some men wore Raccoon Coats.

Game day atmosphere was huge. The only show in Town. Bierman was in his last years as coach.

University ave was closed for the game. The greek houses were loaded with their alum returning for the games.

By the way. The students were made up to a large degree with returning WWII vets (Me included) so it is difficult to describe the atmosphere.

There was a student "Card" section that was high up on the 50 yard line that would spell or make different images.

Ah...that must be the M in the above photos. Looks cool!

Look at the crowd in the photo above to the right of mid-field. Looks like the fans made an M, like the S at Penn State. Here's another picture where you can see the M more clearly. Does anyone remember how they did that?

una23434_8a94f57b75.jpg

Look at all the railcars in that railyard, wow.

Memorial was ready for the 1924 season, but wasn't dedicated officially until the Illinois game. My dad, a grade school kid, hawked newspapers outside the stadium that day and snuck in to see the Gophers stop Red Grange in a 20-7 win.

As a kid myself, I remember the aroma of cigar smoke that used to float over the crowds, and the balloons that were released on Homecoming kickoff. Also, Paul Giel's one-man demolition of a rated Michigan team in 1953.

to this day, when ever I outside and smell cigar or pipe smoke, I think of Memorial Stadium.

What I remember most from that last game is that some students used snow to spell out a players name and number on the upper wall in the closed end of the stadium.

I remember being at a game where they spelled out "FIRE CAL STOLL" in snow.

I've put it on this board before, so sorry if you've read this before. I was really introduced to Gopher football by my oldest friends and their parents. They had season tix, and I was fortunate enough to go with them to many, many games as a very young kid. Felt so awesome when we were old enough to leave the tailgate by ourselves and wander into Dinkytown and grab something at McDonald's. Always hung out in front of the fraternities when the band came down University. Great, great memories. Alas, my first year at The "U" was the first year they moved to the dome.

I truly value the times I have with my own boys and their friends at the games now. I see them and know that I am giving them lifelong memories.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:
Thanks Rog

:clap::clap::clap::clap:
Thanks Rog

Yeah. +1 Rog. I got too caught up in my own nostalgia to really think about how fantastic that period of time must have been for you. Let's bring it back and create those memories for the kids at the game, starting Thursday!

Memorial was ready for the 1924 season, but wasn't dedicated officially until the Illinois game. My dad, a grade school kid, hawked newspapers outside the stadium that day and snuck in to see the Gophers stop Red Grange in a 20-7 win.

As a kid myself, I remember the aroma of cigar smoke that used to float over the crowds, and the balloons that were released on Homecoming kickoff. Also, Paul Giel's one-man demolition of a rated Michigan team in 1953.

Appreciate the recounts of your memories, doing the math you aren't 35 like me, it is nice to get a historical perspective.

I was a student with season tickets for seasons 79-81. We would get all of our friends to buy tickets in the student section (which at that time was around the 50 yard line). I too remember Boy Scouts as selling programs outside the stadium (or doing some type of service work). Once a game, we would usually grab one of the girls in our group and then start passing her up above our heads towards the top of the stadium and everybody along the way would continue passing her until finally we would yell "Throw her over!" The ushers would kindly tell us to stop (and we did - nobody got kicked out, just good clean fun). I remember a game that I couldn't attend (had to study for a test), so I stayed back in my Frontier Dorm room with the window open. I can still hear the roar of the stadium through that window! Interesting note - if you ever see old footage or photos of games back then, you'll notice very little Gopher gear or maroon and gold clothing. People just wore whatever warm clothing they had (you'll see lots of plaid, plain sweatshirts, and jackets).

A few memories.

Jules Perlt was a gem on the PA with his unusual voice and style. He usually would announce a score like this: Mishegannn 6.......(pause) Perdooo 7

The concourse's were dank and dark and also reeked of hot dogs and stale popcorn and the bathrooms of pinesol or some other disinfectant. Like someone said, it was basically a dump but had its own charm.

The band was very active and some of the sections would roam the stadium in the fourth quarter playing from various places. There were slow moving airplanes flying overhead pulling their ad banners. The mass bands on Band Day was impressive.

University Ave. was alive and who can forget the band marching towards the Brickyard??

It was always a neat feeling to walk up the narrow steps to the stadium entrance. I didn't get to many games back in the 70's being busy raising a family three hours from the TC's but it seemed as if the weather was always good.

We took my high school teams to a couple of games and paid $1 a ticket and the school paid for the bus and driver.

The band was very active and some of the sections would roam the stadium in the fourth quarter playing from various places.

University Ave. was alive and who can forget the band marching towards the Brickyard??

We took my high school teams to a couple of games and paid $1 a ticket and the school paid for the bus and driver.
These are things that should happen again. (Yes we all know about the band marching down Univ Ave, but that street should be more vibrant than it is on gameday)
The band having the trumpets or trombones roam the stadium a little more would be a welcome addition, I remember them doing it in the past at hockey games and occasionally at football and it was really fun.

Top Bottom