How will this class fill out?

btowngopher

Reaction score
Kill has 11 verbals already counting McDonald and Twitty. How many can he sign, 17? I'm starting to wonder how the few left over spots will be filled with so much time left for recruiting.

RB- Antonio Ford, Andrew Larson, Koy Brown, Toneo Gulley, and Caleb Belknap seem like they would jump at a Gopher offer if one were to come.

WR- Is Kill done here if McDonald doesn't defect? Bungum would jump at an offer I'd think, as would Anyanwu who might be converted to a wr. Jamel Harbison, Chance Allen, or Blake Webb might be other possibilities.

TE- Will Johnson of course is a major target. I did find an interesting prospect that Kill has offered named Samad Hinds he basically just looks like a big wr in the video I've seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EewVgwQ4-a8

OT- Pirsig and Davidson of course are the major targets here. Kodi Kieler is another big target. Doesn't appear that Kill is really targeting this position too heavily.

OG- Hayes is the major target. Sam Lee and Chase Roullier would probably jump at an offer. Again this is another position that Kill is extending very few offers thus far.

DT- Jean-Marc Charles is being targeted. Karmichael Dunbar and Jonathan Harden are waiting on offers.

DE- Barrington Morris and Pierre Aka are two big targets.

LB- Kill may be done here.

CB- John Gibson, Dion Witty, and Aaron Krah are top targets, while Charles Webb's grades and senior year could earn him a spot.

S- Terry Harden and Dashone Smith are possibilities.

ATH- Charles Rogers has already been offered, D.J. Hebert may end up with one. Both would likely end up as DBs.

Aka is being recruited as a TE, Coy Brown as a LB.

I would expect us to take one more LB but he'd have to project as an OLB.

Add an available scholarship with Tauaefa transfering. Kill also expects some more transfers after two a days.

Kill has 11 verbals already counting McDonald and Twitty. How many can he sign, 17? I'm starting to wonder how the few left over spots will be filled with so much time left for recruiting.

RB- Antonio Ford, Andrew Larson, Koy Brown, Toneo Gulley, and Caleb Belknap seem like they would jump at a Gopher offer if one were to come.

WR- Is Kill done here if McDonald doesn't defect? Bungum would jump at an offer I'd think, as would Anyanwu who might be converted to a wr. Jamel Harbison, Chance Allen, or Blake Webb might be other possibilities.

TE- Will Johnson of course is a major target. I did find an interesting prospect that Kill has offered named Samad Hinds he basically just looks like a big wr in the video I've seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EewVgwQ4-a8

OT- Pirsig and Davidson of course are the major targets here. Kodi Kieler is another big target. Doesn't appear that Kill is really targeting this position too heavily.

OG- Hayes is the major target. Sam Lee and Chase Roullier would probably jump at an offer. Again this is another position that Kill is extending very few offers thus far.

DT- Jean-Marc Charles is being targeted. Karmichael Dunbar and Jonathan Harden are waiting on offers.

DE- Barrington Morris and Pierre Aka are two big targets.

LB- Kill may be done here.

CB- John Gibson, Dion Witty, and Aaron Krah are top targets, while Charles Webb's grades and senior year could earn him a spot.

ATH- Charles Rogers has already been offered, D.J. Hebert may end up with one. Both would likely end up as DBs.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I read somewhere DB Tyreece Jiles does have interest in MN.

I think this class needs:

1 runningback: you need 1 for every class, especially because you can move them if they don't work out. There are a few offers out already, with a reservoir of fringe prospects at home.

1 offensive lineman: there were 6 in the last class, but I still think it would be a mistake to have a recruiting class with no offensive lineman. That's how we ended up needing 6 in this class in the first place. Again, a position we could fill from local prospects.

1 pass-rushing defensive end: This team needs about 2-3 immediately, but for depth purposes I think you need one every class. Don't see any at home, but the staff has lots of out-state offers out.

After that, a speedy free safety would be nice, another wide receiver would be good depending upon McDonald's temperature. We'll probably have a few more scholarships open, and that would be an opportunity to go BPA. As Kill mentioned, the scholarships are uneven among positions in certain classes, but that need not be fixed immediately.

question

Is the thinking that if someone is good enough to play DI ball they will have already have had a good junior year? It seems that there have to be some guys who develop later (in their senior year), were nicked up their junior year, a new coach arrives and know how to use their talents better, etc. They must save a few scholarships for some guys who don't shine until their senior years, or not?

I think this class needs:

1 runningback: you need 1 for every class, especially because you can move them if they don't work out. There are a few offers out already, with a reservoir of fringe prospects at home.

1 offensive lineman: there were 6 in the last class, but I still think it would be a mistake to have a recruiting class with no offensive lineman. That's how we ended up needing 6 in this class in the first place. Again, a position we could fill from local prospects.

1 pass-rushing defensive end: This team needs about 2-3 immediately, but for depth purposes I think you need one every class. Don't see any at home, but the staff has lots of out-state offers out.

After that, a speedy free safety would be nice, another wide receiver would be good depending upon McDonald's temperature. We'll probably have a few more scholarships open, and that would be an opportunity to go BPA. As Kill mentioned, the scholarships are uneven among positions in certain classes, but that need not be fixed immediately.

I pretty much agree with most of this.

QB: Set
RB: We need 1. It's pretty obvious we have put our name in on some top notch prospects and we have some good ones at home if those fall through. I'd guess it will come down to Ford or Larsen
TE/H-Back: If Leidner is losing the competition with Nelson, this will be his eventual position. This is the position he was invited to camp to play (he shined at QB, but he obviously has the skill set and willingness to play TE/H-Back). We also have Maxx Williams. I'd guess we will go after 1 more guy. This could be Will Johnson, but I think he ends up an OT.
OT: We are going pretty hard after a small handful of talented local kids (Johnson, Pirsig, and Davidson). I hope we land one of these guys, if not there are a handful of other talented kids in the state (and elsewhere, I just don't know a ton about national recruiting).
OG: There is a good crop of MN Guards (Lee, Roullier, Hayes (might be a DT)). Most of our OL last season probably project to G or C, so I think we end up with 2 OL total.

Defense is tough to really guess because it's so difficult knowing who will end up being a LB/S/DE.

I'd guess Rallis will be an OLB, one of the LB's will be a DE, and Ekpe will be a DT.

So, i'd guess our needs are:
(1) 1 RB
(2) 1 more DB (to go along with Moss and Murray)
(3) 1 OL
(4) 1 DT

That would leave 2 more spots (assuming no one else leaves)....
That could pretty much go to any position. I would imagine that they'd like to add 1 more WR, but with Moulton (last season), Fruechte and McDonald...they probably feel comfortable waiting another season.

Another huge aspect of this class will be the amount of attrition that we see before the season starts. According to MV at FBT, Kill said that there could be as many as 9 more guys leave the program.

Assuming those guys aren't seniors, that could certainly explain some of the recent commits and would make our class a pretty large class (around the 25 max depending on who leaves).

They like guys who have the athletic ability to potentially develop into at least two positions, e.g. Will Johnson, and Hayes. I think they really do want two OTs especially if they don't get the top guys, because the second tier guys(still potentially very good players) will be kids who are effectively huge, mobile TEs who take a long time to fill out to be OTs (I think Kieler fits this profile.) They might be okay with taking zero guards if they can't get Hayes, unless someone else exceptional pops up.

Where does Eastview OG Zack Johnson fit into the picture, if at all? There seemed to be some noise about him last year, but things have quieted down.

Curious to see who, if anyone, will leave the program. Kill seems to be guessing there will be more attrition. I hope we don't get too thin.

Top of my list would be Will Johnson and Jonah Pirsig. Definitely need a RB and more speed on defense as well.

Where does Eastview OG Zack Johnson fit into the picture, if at all? There seemed to be some noise about him last year, but things have quieted down.

Curious to see who, if anyone, will leave the program. Kill seems to be guessing there will be more attrition. I hope we don't get too thin.

Top of my list would be Will Johnson and Jonah Pirsig. Definitely need a RB and more speed on defense as well.

There will probably be a handful of guys that leave, it happens.
I also think chips may fall faster if a few of the top targets commit elsewhere.
Will Johnson and Pirsig would be great gets.
I'm waiting for a speed rusher DE, or a offensive skill player with elite speed, right now our team badly lacks those two things.

Kyle Ready is a de/te type to keep an eye as well, he is a teammate of Kodi Keiler. Jack Lynn is another LB prospect to watch, kind of the same mold as Rallis, kind of a SS/LB tweener.

I am impressed how Kill is working the whole country. He talked about the 500-mile radius rule when first taking the job, but he's hitting the Deep South and the Southeast Atlantic states really hard as well.

any word from Barrington Moss? He would be another great addition to keep the kool-aid flowing

There will probably be a handful of guys that leave, it happens.
I also think chips may fall faster if a few of the top targets commit elsewhere.
Will Johnson and Pirsig would be great gets. agree, that would be great
I'm waiting for a speed rusher DE, or a offensive skill player with elite speed, right now our team badly lacks those two things.
I hope that we score these types of players too. The challenge is that there aren't many of these guys out there and everyone wants them. But we can hope.

Perhaps one of them could move to Center....do we have an heir apparent?

I like the size of Johnell a 6'2" corner would be nice.

Now this is all "armchair" recruitnik speak, but here is my take:

I really think that either Hayes or Olson end up at C. They have both been mentioned to being looked at as possible C's and if I had to guess, it will be Olson. I think Olson plays G this season (if he isn't RS) and then takes over for Wynn next season.

I actually think our future line will be:

OT: Olson
G: Campion
C: Olson
G: Hayes
OT: Gjere

Even if end up landing Pirsig. Pirsig is a tremendous prospect, but I think he is a bit of a project. He could be fantastic, but if you look at his tape and compare him with Hayes or Olson, it doesn't seem nearly as "ready". Also, Campion is a really strong, experienced kid and was real impressive already. I think he plays....

Now this is all "armchair" recruitnik speak, but here is my take:

I really think that either Hayes or Olson end up at C. They have both been mentioned to being looked at as possible C's and if I had to guess, it will be Olson. I think Olson plays G this season (if he isn't RS) and then takes over for Wynn next season.

I actually think our future line will be:

OT: Olson
G: Campion
C: Olson
G: Hayes
OT: Gjere

Even if end up landing Pirsig. Pirsig is a tremendous prospect, but I think he is a bit of a project. He could be fantastic, but if you look at his tape and compare him with Hayes or Olson, it doesn't seem nearly as "ready". Also, Campion is a really strong, experienced kid and was real impressive already. I think he plays....

Let's not leave Sean Ferguson out of the discussion. He'll be a monster. Dick Vermeil (sp?) said so!

Yep, Sean Ferguson made a ton of strides this past spring and he will definitely be (at least) a backup for the next couple seasons. He certainly looks the part and he seems to have potential.

I am also excited to see what the McAvoys and Foster Bush look like in a couple years.

All I know is with Pirsig along with all the rest, the Gophers OL is looking real good. Add Johnson and it is going to be a real strong point for the Gophers. Along with improved play should be a lot stronger recruiting as well.

This class is filling out nicely with Twitty and now Hayes on board. I think with the last few scholarships remaining, Kill can hold out and go for some additional "star power" similar to Hayes. GO GOPHERS!

This class is filling out nicely with Twitty and now Hayes on board. I think with the last few scholarships remaining, Kill can hold out and go for some additional "star power" similar to Hayes. GO GOPHERS!

I was wondering something similar...making sure he got some depth, potential players and then holding out a little for a few higher rated ones.

Let's revisit.

RB- It doesn't appear that Kill is in any hurry to bring any of the aforementioned names on anytime soon.

WR- McDonald's commit is rumored to be growing stronger, how the offense plays this year might impact his decision. New verbal Samad Hinds might end up here

TE- Will Johnson is still a big target and Pierre Aka is still a target. Samad Hinds is on board but he'd have to put on some pounds.

OT- Pirsig, Davidson, and Kodi Kieler are still the main targets.

OG- Hayes is on board and that might do it for guards in this class.

DT- Jean-Marc Charles is being targeted, Hinojosa is another target that list the gophers on top. Karmichael Dunbar and Jonathan Harden are waiting on offers.

DE- Barrington Morris is still being targeted. Hinojosa might play at DE also, some project Aka as a DE also. Kodi Keilers teamate Kyle Ready might be another option.

LB- Kill might go after a couple of OLBs yet, Jack Lynn is one target as is Brian Nicholson.

Haven't heard much new news as far as dbs and athletes are concerned.

Let's revisit.

RB- It doesn't appear that Kill is in any hurry to bring any of the aforementioned names on anytime soon.

WR- McDonald's commit is rumored to be growing stronger, how the offense plays this year might impact his decision. New verbal Samad Hinds might end up here

TE- Will Johnson is still a big target and Pierre Aka is still a target. Samad Hinds is on board but he'd have to put on some pounds.

OT- Pirsig, Davidson, and Kodi Kieler are still the main targets.

OG- Hayes is on board and that might do it for guards in this class.

DT- Jean-Marc Charles is being targeted, Hinojosa is another target that list the gophers on top. Karmichael Dunbar and Jonathan Harden are waiting on offers.

DE- Barrington Morris is still being targeted. Hinojosa might play at DE also, some project Aka as a DE also. Kodi Keilers teamate Kyle Ready might be another option.

LB- Kill might go after a couple of OLBs yet, Jack Lynn is one target as is Brian Nicholson.

Haven't heard much new news as far as dbs and athletes are concerned.

Looks like they got LB Nicholson and DT Hinojosa who is said to plan on committing next week following visit...

I wonder if Kill will take anymore linebackers in this class, I'd think he would be done with Nicholson's verbal.

That's a good question btown. There might also be some things we don't know about some possible attrition occuring somewhere in our LB corps.

I also think our staff probably have a relatively good idea (even though they are talking about bringing guys in and then deciding) on who might be switching to DE (or even possibly DT, eventually).

Top Bottom