How will the Minneapolis vaccine mandate impact attendance?

WriterGoph

Reaction score
read the thread. the anti-vaxxers were calling her a communist. and those were the polite ones.

Wouldn't communism be if they went around house by house and forced the shot on everyone?

Simply saying, "if you want to work at this private company or go to this public entertainment event or space, you need to have a shot" is still giving people a choice.

forever a gopher

Reaction score
I'll be interested to see what the U does (if they're able to make their own rules or not). I have tickets to both hockey and basketball coming up, but I'm not going to bring my 2 and 4 year old to the doctor and get a test just to go to the games, so I guess I might have to sell those tix.

howeda7

Reaction score
Hahaha. I’m sorry you don’t like my posts. Feel free to block me if you’re so offended.

I just asked what people thought. I was incorrect on this. Apparently the U isn’t subject to the city of Minneapolis rules so it’s a moot point unless the school enacts a new policy.
So there's a hole in the city limits where the U is?

GopherLady

Reaction score
read the thread. the anti-vaxxers were calling her a communist. and those were the polite ones.
Glad one of my friends texted me this thread or I would have missed it!

You can't forget about this one that compared showing a vaxx card to dine out to being in the Holocaust!

A comment like this cracks me up:

I'm not on social media, so my exposure is merely places like this. But I don't block anybody, because when you block the people you don't agree with, is when things start to get squirrely. Or better yet, don't like getting into twitter arguments? Don't go on the twitters.

Then you wouldn't understand, AT ALL. Do you get 100 notifications an hour? Do you get the most vile people coming at you, threatening you, and calling you names? Nope. I will use my voice on Twitter or anywhere, and I will freely block any trolls...and that's what they are. I think 95% of the people that replied negatively to this don't follow me, were seeking me out, and knew that more people would see their reply to me than with their 4 followers. My mental health and happiness is important to me, so why would I spend one second on people who I don't respect, vs all the positive, awesome Gopher fans that I want to tweet with (but their messages get buried).

And for the record, I do not think children 5 and under should have to show a vaxx card. I also know that my friends with kids test their kids CONSTANTLY. For an exposure at school (they need a PCR test to come back), for sports tournaments, travel, all the time. I've personally never waited over 24 hours for a Vault test to come back, and have taken about 25 of them. They are free, and at home.

CPTMidnight

Reaction score
So there's a hole in the city limits where the U is?
University has its own police force and their land. Interesting question but I would assume that the Minneapolis council does not pass ordinances for State property. Anyone lawyers know? Built? Anyone?

Zeppelin Gopher

Reaction score
The U isn't
Gopher Lady had a verrrry interesting Twitter thread on this topic. it ended with her blocking a number of people. (she was pro-vax)
Wow what a shock, I can't believe thin skinned Nadine would ever block someone she disagrees with (EXTREME SARCASM, she's the worst)

GopherBlood666

Reaction score
It should improve attendance by removing the foolish "honor" system of counting on the unvaccinated to take the safety precautions.

The vast majority of people are in compliance with the vaccine requirements and would feel safer attending games under these requirements.
I think it's funny that you assume anyone who has not gotten a covid shot to be some ticking time bomb of disease. You would not have cared 2 years ago, and if you did you would have been considered a hypochondriac. If there are people who are really staying home because they don't want to risk coming into contact with the "unvaccinated", they should probably be watching the Gophers from a psyche ward instead of Williams Arena. Even the main stream media is now starting to admit how overblown this whole thing is, get with it already.

CPTMidnight

Reaction score
I think it's funny that you assume anyone who has not gotten a covid shot to be some ticking time bomb of disease. You would not have cared 2 years ago, and if you did you would have been considered a hypochondriac. If there are people who are really staying home because they don't want to risk coming into contact with the "unvaccinated", they should probably be watching the Gophers from a psyche ward instead of Williams Arena. Even the main stream media is now starting to admit how overblown this whole thing is, get with it already.
My daughter attends a State university with 10k students that has no restrictions whatsoever. No masks, no vaccine mandates, on campus, off campus, in class, in dorms, at the d1 basketball games including fans, players, coaches, -nobody. Of course, some people get the jab and some wear masks but it is on them to choose. Kids stay out of class when they have symptoms but in general - life goes on as before.

In the Twin Cities it is easy to get into believing that everyone in the whole world is double masked and triple vaxxed and wringing their hands in fear but it just ain't so.

benlaur

Reaction score
It should improve attendance by removing the foolish "honor" system of counting on the unvaccinated to take the safety precautions.

The vast majority of people are in compliance with the vaccine requirements and would feel safer attending games under these requirements.
Does anyone know math anymore? Have people always been willing to accept things without looking at simple statistics that are available to everyone? Amazing.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
My daughter attends a State university with 10k students that has no restrictions whatsoever. No masks, no vaccine mandates, on campus, off campus, in class, in dorms, at the d1 basketball games including fans, players, coaches, -nobody. Of course, some people get the jab and some wear masks but it is on them to choose. Kids stay out of class when they have symptoms but in general - life goes on as before.

In the Twin Cities it is easy to get into believing that everyone in the whole world is double masked and triple vaxxed and wringing their hands in fear but it just ain't so.

Have you ever considered that in more urban areas the population density is higher and therefore creates more opportunity to spread?

Also, what state does your daughter attend college in?

Allshade

Reaction score
I resemble that remark.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
You can sidestep the mask mandates by simply munching on popcorn for the game (like everyone else does). If vaccine mandates are in play I would probably just skip the games and watch them on TV however I would need to think really hard on whether or not to re-up for next year's tickets if I might be prohibited from attending.

After all the painful years (since college in the 80s/90s) that I pony'd up for the lower level this would be an appropriate end to the season ticket run. C'est la Vie
Good plan. I’ll be at the Rutgers game appropriating the finest empty seats I can find. 😗

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Shocking. She seems like a very open-minded person /s

I don't mean to degrade somebody I don't know. But from reading her interviews, she always seems to have an agenda or perceived bias she is trying to promote. Not somebody I would identify as "objective". Not that she can't be "pro-vax", but the idea that our society now has to block everybody you don't agree with so you only hear voices you like. I'm not on social media, so my exposure is merely places like this. But I don't block anybody, because when you block the people you don't agree with, is when things start to get squirrely. Or better yet, don't like getting into twitter arguments? Don't go on the twitters.

Back on topic, it's somewhat odd that Mpls would require a test of kids age 2-4, since vax isn't available to them. As having two kids ages 2-4, am I really going to go get them a test, wait for the results, just so I can go out to eat? St. Paul is at least making the mandate only for 5+, which makes sense, considering they can get the shot.
I do have an issue with Minneapolis having 2-4 need vax (ineligible) or a negative test. Surprised that the twin cities didn’t have the same mandate.

bga1

Reaction score
This is really what it comes down to: if you're okay staying home and missing out on things like in-person events, travel to international countries, eating out at restaurants, you can have a great quality of life.

On the other hand, we only have one life, so each person has to decide how many years they are okay with sitting on the shelf.
Zero years on the shelf and zero years taking the forced jab that doesn't work.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
@Angry and @Zeppelin Gopher what's so funny about me explaining how the system works at the arenas in Denver?

Oh, you can't go to indoor events anymore starting in two weeks?

Angry

Reaction score
@Angry and @Zeppelin Gopher what's so funny about me explaining how the system works at the arenas in Denver?

Oh, you can't go to indoor events anymore starting in two weeks?
Just the I’m so glad we’re progressive part. It reminded me of a South Park episode.
I’m vaccinated and masks don’t bother me, but the whole thing is pretty silly. Everybody’s getting omicron and no way around it. And for the good of society I’m rooting for it.

Last edited:

Zeppelin Gopher

Reaction score
Just the I’m so glad we’re progressive part. It reminded me of a South Park episode.
I’m vaccinated and masks don’t bother me, but the whole thing is pretty silly. Everybody’s getting omicron and no way around it. And for the good of society I’m rooting for it.
Haha exactly. Reminded me of Gerald Broflovski farting in his wine glass and savoring the flavors

CPTMidnight

Reaction score
Have you ever considered that in more urban areas the population density is higher and therefore creates more opportunity to spread?

Also, what state does your daughter attend college in?
I didn't include the University because it does not matter. 10k students started returning last Sunday at 10AM from 63 countries and pretty much every state and hundreds from MN/twin cities. My daughter's dorm has 1450 students living 2-3 per room with common kitchens, laundry, and study areas. Classes are held in person, all extra curricular activities are active, they just won their first d1 basketball game since coming back with full attendance and no restrictions. Seems pretty dense with a diverse crowd of people.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
I didn't include the University because it does not matter. 10k students started returning last Sunday at 10AM from 63 countries and pretty much every state and hundreds from MN/twin cities. My daughter's dorm has 1450 students living 2-3 per room with common kitchens, laundry, and study areas. Classes are held in person, all extra curricular activities are active, they just won their first d1 basketball game since coming back with full attendance and no restrictions. Seems pretty dense with a diverse crowd of people.

I'm asking for the state, not which school. I'm gonna guess Wisconsin, South Dakota or North Dakota.

WriterGoph

Reaction score

Sue for me being happy our state is forward-thinking. The point you missed was that was I was saying that because we have an app that allows us to have our ID and other pertinent info on it and don't need to worry about having a wallet. But yeah, Colorado was one of the first to legalize Marijuana on a recreational level. The economy and kinds of jobs available here have improved so much since that decision 8-9 years ago. So cheers to being ahead of the curve on a lot of things.

PS. While the Nuggets and Avs and live shows require vaxx or negative test to get into their arena, it's not a requirement for restaurants here.

Wally

Reaction score
Back on topic, it's somewhat odd that Mpls would require a test of kids age 2-4, since vax isn't available to them.

I believe they changed it to over 5.

I went to a concert at Target Center everyone had to be vaxxed or tested. We got our kids tested but at the gate they never even asked for or checked the kids tests...

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Glad one of my friends texted me this thread or I would have missed it!

You can't forget about this one that compared showing a vaxx card to dine out to being in the Holocaust!

A comment like this cracks me up:

Then you wouldn't understand, AT ALL. Do you get 100 notifications an hour? Do you get the most vile people coming at you, threatening you, and calling you names? Nope. I will use my voice on Twitter or anywhere, and I will freely block any trolls...and that's what they are. I think 95% of the people that replied negatively to this don't follow me, were seeking me out, and knew that more people would see their reply to me than with their 4 followers. My mental health and happiness is important to me, so why would I spend one second on people who I don't respect, vs all the positive, awesome Gopher fans that I want to tweet with (but their messages get buried).

And for the record, I do not think children 5 and under should have to show a vaxx card. I also know that my friends with kids test their kids CONSTANTLY. For an exposure at school (they need a PCR test to come back), for sports tournaments, travel, all the time. I've personally never waited over 24 hours for a Vault test to come back, and have taken about 25 of them. They are free, and at home.
25???? I've taken zero. Get a life.

And nothing is free. Someone is paying for it. Either thru taxes or inflation.

Are you 12?

WriterGoph

Reaction score
25???? I've taken zero. Get a life.

And nothing is free. Someone is paying for it. Either thru taxes or inflation.

Are you 12?

What a weird take. So people should NOT get tested because they can do so with no cost through their county government?

CPTMidnight

Reaction score
Official Notice:

The University of Minnesota announced today that it will require attendees at indoor events with 200 or more spectators to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or proof of a negative, third-party COVID-19 test within 72 hours of the event.

The temporary policy, which reflects the University's vaccination announcement made earlier in the day, will start on Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2022, and will end on Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2022. This policy may be extended, and Athletics will work with campus leadership to determine if an extension is needed. Any extension of this policy will be announced prior to Feb. 9.

The COVID-19 vaccine requirement applies to all attendees age five and older. Minnesota's indoor mask / face covering mandate also remains in effect for all home athletic indoor events.

The policy applies to tennis, swimming and diving, track and field, women's basketball, men's basketball, women's hockey and men's hockey games, as these sports meet the criteria (indoor event with more than 200 attendees between Jan. 26 - Feb. 9) for individuals to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative, third-party COVID-19 test.

The first scheduled event with the policy in effect will be Minnesota's home men's basketball game against Ohio State on Jan. 27.

https://gophersports.com/news/2022/...-introduces-temporary-vaccination-policy.aspx

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Official Notice:

The University of Minnesota announced today that it will require attendees at indoor events with 200 or more spectators to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or proof of a negative, third-party COVID-19 test within 72 hours of the event.

The temporary policy, which reflects the University's vaccination announcement made earlier in the day, will start on Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2022, and will end on Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2022. This policy may be extended, and Athletics will work with campus leadership to determine if an extension is needed. Any extension of this policy will be announced prior to Feb. 9.

The COVID-19 vaccine requirement applies to all attendees age five and older. Minnesota's indoor mask / face covering mandate also remains in effect for all home athletic indoor events.

The policy applies to tennis, swimming and diving, track and field, women's basketball, men's basketball, women's hockey and men's hockey games, as these sports meet the criteria (indoor event with more than 200 attendees between Jan. 26 - Feb. 9) for individuals to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative, third-party COVID-19 test.

The first scheduled event with the policy in effect will be Minnesota's home men's basketball game against Ohio State on Jan. 27.

https://gophersports.com/news/2022/...-introduces-temporary-vaccination-policy.aspx
Temporary policy?

That’s basically saying the same thing as 3 weeks to flatten the curve. Moving goalposts, here we come.

My goodness, why don’t they at least grow a pair of balls and say it’s for the rest of the season? But they won’t do that because they’re trying to stave off people asking for a refund on what’s left of their season tickets effective immediately.

Top Bottom