How will the Minneapolis vaccine mandate impact attendance?

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
I know by starting this what it will turn into…but until it does…how will this change attendance? As of today establishments serving food and drinks (stadiums/arenas included) will require proof of Covid-19 vaccination OR a negative PCR test from within the last 72 hours. (If this is incorrect, I’m sorry)

PCR test results can take quite a while. I was tested Tuesday and was told 2-10 days. So an unvaccinated person without those results is unable to attend…but by the time they get them they will be more than 72 hours old. Then what?

What type of impact will this have on attendance? I honestly don’t know what numbers have been like so far this season.

MUgopher32

Reaction score
I know by starting this what it will turn into…but until it does…how will this change attendance? As of today establishments serving food and drinks (stadiums/arenas included) will require proof of Covid-19 vaccination OR a negative PCR test from within the last 72 hours. (If this is incorrect, I’m sorry)

PCR test results can take quite a while. I was tested Tuesday and was told 2-10 days. So an unvaccinated person without those results is unable to attend…but by the time they get them they will be more than 72 hours old. Then what?

What type of impact will this have on attendance? I honestly don’t know what numbers have been like so far this season.

It can be any kind of test that isnt the at home self tests.

Reaction score

Can you not

Chicago Gophers

Reaction score
What’s the issue?

So on the football board you want to discuss how Minnesota isn't a rival with Iowa or Wisconsin because we don't beat them enough, and you want to discuss vaccine mandates on the basketball board.

Ever get the feeling that you're a toxic personality? Or do you save it all for the internet?

benlaur

Reaction score
So on the football board you want to discuss how Minnesota isn't a rival with Iowa or Wisconsin because we don't beat them enough, and you want to discuss vaccine mandates on the basketball board.

Ever get the feeling that you're a toxic personality? Or do you save it all for the internet?
Maybe you need to chill out.

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score

Hahaha. I’m sorry you don’t like my posts. Feel free to block me if you’re so offended.

I just asked what people thought. I was incorrect on this. Apparently the U isn’t subject to the city of Minneapolis rules so it’s a moot point unless the school enacts a new policy.

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I think the U president will go along with what the politicians decided, so I'd guess that'll mean proof of vax required at The Barn starting with the Rutgers game Jan. 22.

To answer the question, a fair one, I think it will impact attendance, though it might be hard to tell how many fans are lost because crowds have not been very big.

Ope3

Reaction score

Just my 2 cents, feels like a legit topic for the Basketball board, if it is maintained to Gopher attendance.

Mask/Vax Mandates or not, hard to tell what part of the empty seats are due to how they are playing, fans not wanting to be indoors with a mass crowd regardless, other things to do, price, looks great on an HDTV etc...

Last edited:

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
I think the U president will go along with what the politicians decided, so I'd guess that'll mean proof of vax required at The Barn starting with the Rutgers game Jan. 22.

To answer the question, a fair one, I think it will impact attendance, though it might be hard to tell how many fans are lost because crowds have not been very big.
After the gritty L to Sparty, might we be rested to 10K+ When those Iowans come to town in Sunday?

CPTMidnight

Reaction score
You can sidestep the mask mandates by simply munching on popcorn for the game (like everyone else does). If vaccine mandates are in play I would probably just skip the games and watch them on TV however I would need to think really hard on whether or not to re-up for next year's tickets if I might be prohibited from attending.

After all the painful years (since college in the 80s/90s) that I pony'd up for the lower level this would be an appropriate end to the season ticket run. C'est la Vie

34Gopher

Reaction score
I'm vaccinated so I'll still go. However I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, both of whom enjoy going to the games with me. It's an experience I shared with my father and now I get to share with my kids. The kicker with the Minneapolis mandate is only kids under the age of 2 are exempt. Which is really brilliant (heavy sarcasm) considering kids ages 2 through 5 are not even eligible for a vaccine. So unless I'm missing something and the U follows the city, my kids would have no choice but to get tested in order to attend a game.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
I'm vaccinated so I'll still go. However I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, both of whom enjoy going to the games with me. It's an experience I shared with my father and now I get to share with my kids. The kicker with the Minneapolis mandate is only kids under the age of 2 are exempt. Which is really brilliant (heavy sarcasm) considering kids ages 2 through 5 are not even eligible for a vaccine. So unless I'm missing something and the U follows the city, my kids would have no choice but to get tested in order to attend a game.
man can't wait to vote the same people making those decisions for more terms. Just tell them both the kids are 2 not like they have drivers licenses to check

discochris

Reaction score
My guess is that the U is like the airport - it's not technically part of the city, even though the mailing address is such.

For football games, I don't know if it would even apply as that is an outdoor event.
The main issue with indoor events is how long will it take to get in if they have to check everyone. I've heard some horror stories about concerts at the Armory where it took forever to check people at the door. I have been to First Ave. twice though since they instituted a vaccine check and it went smoothly, but First Ave. checks all ID's anyway, so they're used to it.

It's also entirely possible that by next football season, it would be lifted anyway.

2nd Degree Gopher

Reaction score
The main issue with indoor events is how long will it take to get in if they have to check everyone. I've heard some horror stories about concerts at the Armory where it took forever to check people at the door. I have been to First Ave. twice though since they instituted a vaccine check and it went smoothly, but First Ave. checks all ID's anyway, so they're used to it.
I attended a show at the Orpheum that had these requirements. They did a good job of e-mailing ticket-holders the specifics of the policy in advance of the event. They had a pre-check station set up a couple of hours before the performance, so you could get cleared before going for dinner or drinks if that worked it into your schedule. After proving vaccinated status, they gave you a wrist band that enabled you to bypass the vaccine check on the way into the theater. That helped move things along as people were entering the building before the show.

Maybe the U could do something like that by setting up a pre-check at the Alumni Center or somewhere similar. Even if only a small portion of the crowd goes through the pre-check, it would help a great deal..

WriterGoph

Reaction score
My guess is that the U is like the airport - it's not technically part of the city, even though the mailing address is such.

For football games, I don't know if it would even apply as that is an outdoor event.

It's also entirely possible that by next football season, it would be lifted anyway.

They have this policy in place here in Denver for Nuggets and Avs games and it doesn't appear to have hurt the crowds much, if at all. The process literally takes 5 extra seconds going into the arena. Before you get to the normal metal detectors inside the arena doors, they have tents outside to check vaxx status and tests - fortunately Colorado is a very progressive state, so we have a MyColorado app that the state created that has digital versions of your driver's license, insurance cards and vaccination card (among a few other things). Since this is an app created by the state govt, you legit don't have to carry a wallet or your ID anymore (even if you get pulled over by a cop, the app is legal ID).

alchemy2u

Reaction score
It should improve attendance by removing the foolish "honor" system of counting on the unvaccinated to take the safety precautions.

The vast majority of people are in compliance with the vaccine requirements and would feel safer attending games under these requirements.

alchemy2u

Reaction score
They have this policy in place here in Denver for Nuggets and Avs games and it doesn't appear to have hurt the crowds much, if at all. The process literally takes 5 extra seconds going into the arena. Before you get to the normal metal detectors inside the arena doors, they have tents outside to check vaxx status and tests - fortunately Colorado is a very progressive state, so we have a MyColorado app that the state created that has digital versions of your driver's license, insurance cards and vaccination card (among a few other things). Since this is an app created by the state govt, you legit don't have to carry a wallet or your ID anymore (even if you get pulled over by a cop, the app is legal ID).
Minnesota uses the Docket app that gets the data directly from the Dept of Health (with your permission).

Moonlight

Reaction score
We have had season tickets for both Basketball and the SPCO (St Paul Chamber Orchestra) for decades. We renewed our tickets for the SPCO, but did not for the BB. The SPCO came out with clear guidelines prior to their season (Ordway similar to Orpheum as shared above). Musicians, like athletes, need to be healthy to perform. We didnt renew BB because it was clear the U was going to be reactive rather than actually make decisions, and also because we knew we'd be far more likely to have to deal with angry anti-vaxxers at the Barn (witness the public anonymous posts here). We like Johnson so that wasnt the issue. But the extent to which we as season ticket holders have been expected to subsidize the program is tiresome and breaks down with these current challenges. We're taking a break this year. We've been to a game this year and it was ok, we might be more apt to attend with this addition. Or we might go to some women's games - they have some talented players.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
It should improve attendance by removing the foolish "honor" system of counting on the unvaccinated to take the safety precautions.

The vast majority of people are in compliance with the vaccine requirements and would feel safer attending games under these requirements.
Right because the vaccinated people are fully immune from having positive test and spreading it to other people at the event

WriterGoph

Reaction score
You can sidestep the mask mandates by simply munching on popcorn for the game (like everyone else does). If vaccine mandates are in play I would probably just skip the games and watch them on TV however I would need to think really hard on whether or not to re-up for next year's tickets if I might be prohibited from attending.

After all the painful years (since college in the 80s/90s) that I pony'd up for the lower level this would be an appropriate end to the season ticket run. C'est la Vie

This is really what it comes down to: if you're okay staying home and missing out on things like in-person events, travel to international countries, eating out at restaurants, you can have a great quality of life.

On the other hand, we only have one life, so each person has to decide how many years they are okay with sitting on the shelf.

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Minnesota uses the Docket app that gets the data directly from the Dept of Health (with your permission).

That's great to hear! So it should help make the check-in process much quicker.

forever a gopher

Reaction score
Gopher Lady had a verrrry interesting Twitter thread on this topic. it ended with her blocking a number of people. (she was pro-vax)
Shocking. She seems like a very open-minded person /s

I don't mean to degrade somebody I don't know. But from reading her interviews, she always seems to have an agenda or perceived bias she is trying to promote. Not somebody I would identify as "objective". Not that she can't be "pro-vax", but the idea that our society now has to block everybody you don't agree with so you only hear voices you like. I'm not on social media, so my exposure is merely places like this. But I don't block anybody, because when you block the people you don't agree with, is when things start to get squirrely. Or better yet, don't like getting into twitter arguments? Don't go on the twitters.

Back on topic, it's somewhat odd that Mpls would require a test of kids age 2-4, since vax isn't available to them. As having two kids ages 2-4, am I really going to go get them a test, wait for the results, just so I can go out to eat? St. Paul is at least making the mandate only for 5+, which makes sense, considering they can get the shot.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Shocking. She seems like a very open-minded person /s

I don't mean to degrade somebody I don't know. But from reading her interviews, she always seems to have an agenda or perceived bias she is trying to promote. Not somebody I would identify as "objective". Not that she can't be "pro-vax", but the idea that our society now has to block everybody you don't agree with so you only hear voices you like. I'm not on social media, so my exposure is merely places like this. But I don't block anybody, because when you block the people you don't agree with, is when things start to get squirrely. Or better yet, don't like getting into twitter arguments? Don't go on the twitters.

read the thread. the anti-vaxxers were calling her a communist. and those were the polite ones.

Top Bottom