How To Rehabilitate The Gophers NCAA Bid

Reaction score
Gophers must run the table at home. IF they do, that would be 2 W over ranked opponents (to go with earlier W over ranked opponents Butler and Ohio St).

And Gophers must AT LEAST split the remaining 4 road games. IF they do both, that would put the Gophers at 20 W heading into Big 10 tourney with 11 W in conference play.

Just for good measure, the Gophers should get 1 or 2 W in Big 10 tourney.

Just don't see it

I'm usually quite optimistic. I just don't see it happening this year and I even think White's court issues will be resolved today and he'll suit up for Saturday. After yesterday's performance, or lackthereof, it just ain't gonna happen this year.

I think without a doubt that we'll beat both Wisconsin and Purdue here. I just don't think it will be enough as they've proven that can't win on the road and most likely won't.

I think we will get into the tourney if they win at Illinois and Michigan, and beat Wisconsin and Purdue at tough. It's an uphill battle, but they put themselves in this situation. Having white will be big if it happens.

I think FOT has it pretty close. His scenario would give us 12 BT win, though I still think 11 could do it. It all starts @PSU on Sat. Many thought the OSU game was a 'must win' but I didn't agree, though I didn't expect a drubbing.

I do think the game on Sat is a must win. Need to bounce back and beat a bottom feeder on the road. If we can't win at PSU I don't see how we can beat PU and Wis at the Barn.

I think Saturday's game will be very telling.

Some posters are suggesting Royce may play Saturday. We'll have to see. He could make a difference.

Lets face it

We must face reality. The gophers arent good enough to win on the road unless the other team is hopeless. Just dont count on them winning on the road. We are in huge trouble.

In a very rare moment, I'm going to agree with FOT.

While the Gophers were somewhere between bad and horrendous yesterday, I don't think there were many people who really thought this was a winnable game anyway. To me, it's a bad performance in a game they were probably going to lose. Indiana, Portland and Miami, at the end of the season, are going to be more damaging than yesterday.

I don't think they are dead because of the schedule. But they have to take advantage of their situation.

I think the Gophers can win their next five games. At Northwestern won't be easy nor will the home game against Wisconsin. But neither is impossible either. From there, they need to win one of the road games -- at Illinois or Michigan -- and then beat Iowa at home. That's an 11-7 record and, probably, a winnable first game in the Big Ten Tournament.

I don't think it's impossible and I'm a cynical, negative SOB.

That said, this team is really in a tailspin and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they find a way to lose at Penn State or at home against Michigan.

I'm sticking with this prediction:

Here is the remaining Gophers Schedule with projected outcome
Current record: (13-8, 4-5 Big Ten)

Sat, Feb 06 @ Penn State (Gopher Loss)
Thu, Feb 11 Michigan (Gopher Win)
Sun, Feb 14 @ Northwestern (Gopher Loss)
Thu, Feb 18 Wisconsin (Gopher Loss)
Sun, Feb 21 Indiana (Gopher Win)
Wed, Feb 24 Purdue (Gopher Loss)
Sun, Feb 28 @ Illinois (Gopher Loss)
Thu, Mar 04 @ Michigan (Gopher Win)
Sun, Mar 07 Iowa (Gopher Win)
Big 10 Tournament

Projected Gophers Final record (17-13) = NIT Berth (likely 21-22 wins needed to make NCAA)
- Projected Big ten record (8-10)
- We need to go 8-1 to finish the season to get to 21 wins
- Key games: We will have to win at least all 4 of these games without losing any unexpected games to get to 21 wins:
- Wi at Home, Purdue at Home, Ill away, Michigan away

I don't like our chances. The Big ten tourney could help if we win 2-3 but it will be tough.

anon

In a very rare moment, I'm going to agree with FOT.

While the Gophers were somewhere between bad and horrendous yesterday, I don't think there were many people who really thought this was a winnable game anyway. To me, it's a bad performance in a game they were probably going to lose. Indiana, Portland and Miami, at the end of the season, are going to be more damaging than yesterday.

I don't think they are dead because of the schedule. But they have to take advantage of their situation.

I think the Gophers can win their next five games. At Northwestern won't be easy nor will the home game against Wisconsin. But neither is impossible either. From there, they need to win one of the road games -- at Illinois or Michigan -- and then beat Iowa at home. That's an 11-7 record and, probably, a winnable first game in the Big Ten Tournament.

I don't think it's impossible and I'm a cynical, negative SOB.

That said, this team is really in a tailspin and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they find a way to lose at Penn State or at home against Michigan.

I will go one step further.

Out on a limb here but I say somewhere between 7-11 and 11-7 is where we finish.

I am willing to put money on this!

I sure hope the lads pull it together this Saturday at Penn State. I would love to see us at 7-5 when we play Bucky at the Barn.

A slight ray of hope is we still only have 5 teams ahead of us. Of the five Illinois looks to be the one we have the best chance of catching. Illinois is at 6-3 but they have a final 8 games from hell!

The Illini finish the Big Ten season:
Michigan St
At Wisconsin
Ohio State
at Purdue
at Michigan
Minnesota
at Ohio State
Wisconsin

Go Gophers.

:clap::clap::clap:

Here's An "As-Likely" Scenario For You

superman78-earth.gif

Superman reverses rotation and turns back time (a la Superman I, c. 1978).

:rolleyes:

I'm sticking with this prediction:

Here is the remaining Gophers Schedule with projected outcome
Current record: (13-8, 4-5 Big Ten)

Sat, Feb 06 @ Penn State (Gopher Loss)
Thu, Feb 11 Michigan (Gopher Win)
Sun, Feb 14 @ Northwestern (Gopher Loss)
Thu, Feb 18 Wisconsin (Gopher Loss)
Sun, Feb 21 Indiana (Gopher Win)
Wed, Feb 24 Purdue (Gopher Loss)
Sun, Feb 28 @ Illinois (Gopher Loss)
Thu, Mar 04 @ Michigan (Gopher Win)
Sun, Mar 07 Iowa (Gopher Win)
Big 10 Tournament

Projected Gophers Final record (17-13) = NIT Berth (likely 21-22 wins needed to make NCAA)
- Projected Big ten record (8-10)
- We need to go 8-1 to finish the season to get to 21 wins
- Key games: We will have to win at least all 4 of these games without losing any unexpected games to get to 21 wins:
- Wi at Home, Purdue at Home, Ill away, Michigan away

I don't like our chances. The Big ten tourney could help if we win 2-3 but it will be tough.

I think this is mostly accurate. I see the Gophers winning at Penn State on Sat. I think WI and Purdue will be too much for us, even at home. Sorry but we won't make the dance.

Top Bottom