How the Gophers are handling star prospect Koi Perich

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Greder:

“We just want to make sure Koi is ready to play when Koi has to play,” Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck told the Pioneer Press on Monday. “He’s a really good football player. He’s still developing and has a lot to learn. But we want him to be able to learn on the fly.”

Go Gophers!!

Per Greder:

“We just want to make sure Koi is ready to play when Koi has to play,” Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck told the Pioneer Press on Monday. “He’s a really good football player. He’s still developing and has a lot to learn. But we want him to be able to learn on the fly.”

Go Gophers!!
Astute!!

Get him on the punt or kick off return at least. Need someone that can use their speed to make something happen. Perich has too much speed to be standing on the sideline.

Get him on the punt or kick off return at least. Need someone that can use their speed to make something happen. Perich has too much speed to be standing on the sideline.

Is he faster than every other guy on the punt and kick return?

He;'s the best talent on the team. Redding should be on a sandlot team. NO TALENT. I know, you can't criticize college kids, Well, they are pros now.

Most missed tackles in the Fleck era.

Throw Perich out there, he can probably tackle better than whoever else we had at safety

Oh don’t worry he is not on the sideline, he is on the KOR team! He’s just on the front line of blockers instead of returning the kicks, because everybody knows that’s where you put your most dynamic athletes on KOR!

He is as fast as some if not faster, I will admit I don't know if he can catch a kick consistently. I would like to see some competition at those spots, to see if we can get better field position off punts. Competition stops complacency.

He is as fast as some if not faster, I will admit I don't know if he can catch a kick consistently. I would like to see some competition at those spots, to see if we can get better field position off punts. Competition stops complacency.

You’re assuming a lot here. Like they just give the position to kids. There is as an entire training camp where these things may have taken place.

You’re assuming a lot here. Like they just give the position to kids. There is as an entire training camp where these things may have taken place.
Not assuming anything, I know coaches know who can do what. First improvement would be to force some punts to see if existing guys can produce, next step would be better field position. We seem to be content on just fair catching. But like you said positions are earned. Priority is catching a punt or kick. I just think Perich has good upside on athleticism. Don't get a preseason so learning in games besides practice is only way to know for sure. These next couple games we will see if special teams improve.

Last edited:

Perich is a great natural athlete. Just put him in there and his skill will show.

Remember what he did in the All-American game. If he’s healthy let him punt and kick return and start at safety.

For better or for worse, they are likely trying to preserve his redshirt if they can. I don't know yet if I agree with that or not.

For better or for worse, they are likely trying to preserve his redshirt if they can. I don't know yet if I agree with that or not.
I don’t know about that, I don’t think he would have been playing special teams in game one if that was their goal.

I’m guessing Fleck is treating Koi how he did DT last year. Gave only one carry against Nebraska then played the whole next game. Im expecting/hoping for something similar this week with Koi getting a more expanded role against a worse team

If that was the case, I seriously doubt he would've been out there on kick return and kickoff team against UNC.

Don't think they are trying to preserve the redshirt- Koi will see more and more time as the season progresses.

I let out a little sigh and and perform an eye roll every time I see Redding go back to fair catch a kick.

Either Perich isn’t very good or there is an overly conservative coach inclined to take all his timeouts early in the half in charge.

Patience is a virtue and it should be applied with his situation. No one here knows how he is progressing in practice and also with his hammy.

I get it. People want the home state kid to succeed immediately and want it now. Eskoball is a long way from the BIG

Last edited:

Top Bottom