How much will the altitude in Colorado impact us?

Stan

Reaction score
Is this a significant issue? It's hard to prepare for it. Will we go in an extra day early or is not that necessary? Probably pound the rock and a little less no huddle? Just curious what the thoughts are on this.

Not much. If I recall, aerobic endurance eg jogging is reduced by single digit percentages but maximal-effort type activity over a short timespan, eg a sprint or a lineman block is not affected at all.

I would even suggest the dry air, even though less partial pressure o2, will be welcome vs going somewhere with heat and humidity, eg Middle TN State

I don't know the altitude in Fort Collins but I do seem to recall that timing matters as it relates to the effects of altitude. When SDSU played at Northern Arizona recently the team planned arrival leaving only a minimal amount of time between arrival and game time. I seem to recall 24 hours being some kind of magic number.

If anything perhaps ML quick hitters won't bounce to the receiver.

Is this a significant issue? It's hard to prepare for it. Will we go in an extra day early or is not that necessary? Probably pound the rock and a little less no huddle? Just curious what the thoughts are on this.

I have family that visit us from the Kansas City area each year and they're always really tired the first couple days. They're also always out of breath after climbing a flight of stairs to the point that they can't talk. I suspect college athletes are more conditioned to dealing with this, but I do expect some effect on some of the Minn players especially if CSU tries to exploit it.

I figure the altitude will be offset by the lack of humidity.

Our guys just plain can't deal with humidity.

I seem to recall this same discussion when we played NM State a few years back. If memory serves me right, there was no evidence that altitude had any adverse impacts although AggieVision caused some viewers temporary blindness. Anyway, Fort Collins is about 1,000 feet higher in elevation than Las Cruces but I'm guessing not enough of a difference to be a big factor. Any altitude experts on GH that can advise on this one?

I don't know the altitude in Fort Collins but I do seem to recall that timing matters as it relates to the effects of altitude. When SDSU played at Northern Arizona recently the team planned arrival leaving only a minimal amount of time between arrival and game time. I seem to recall 24 hours being some kind of magic number.

If anything perhaps ML quick hitters won't bounce to the receiver.

Flagstaff is about 7000 feet. Coming from SDSU that is indeed a big change. Mpls is about a 4000 foot elevation change from CSU, not hugely significant although noticeable if not given at least 30 seconds to recover between plays. We may need to sub more and have oxygen on hand. When up in the mts here I'm about 8500 feet higher than home, and it does have a real effect on exercise capacity. I would wstimate my times are 10% off from sea level. Heat is far worse for me. If its 80 degrees and sunny its more like a 25% endurance hit vs 60 degrees and cloudy. Heat and efficient exercise don't mix. YMMV.

Probably not much. If the players were running a marathon a lot. Go Gophers!

I have family that visit us from the Kansas City area each year and they're always really tired the first couple days. They're also always out of breath after climbing a flight of stairs to the point that they can't talk. I suspect college athletes are more conditioned to dealing with this, but I do expect some effect on some of the Minn players especially if CSU tries to exploit it.

I used to live in Fort Collins. Fort Collin's elevation is around 5,000 feet. Ram Stadium is closer to the foothills, so I'd say we're looking at around 5,200 - 5,300 feet. Elevation effects are minimal. About the only thing I notice is it takes you a little longer to catch your breath. As has been brought up, heat/humidity issues are a bigger factor.

Most people don't realize this, but Laramie (University of Wyoming) is at 7,100 feet. That would be a factor. However North Dakota had no problem dismantling the Cowboys last week.

Could RamSack be the new DancesforRaiders? I hope so.

No, I don't believe it will be. May be a positive for Mortell to launch some off his foot into thin air though.

Having done mountaineering at higher altitudes (Rainer, Alps, etc.), I never feel the effects until 8,000' or sometimes up to 10,000'. Being in very good cardio shape helps and proper hydration can really make a huge impact. Everybody is affected differently and it isn't consistent for the same person each time they go to a higher altitude. That said, 5,200' isn't that high and like others have said here, the players will likely get short of breath quicker than at sea level, but I don't believe that it will have an impact on the final score.

It didn't bother the Gophers a few years ago when Maroney and Barber ran free all night. My drinking stamina also didn't seem to be affected.

Mary Jane = Altitude Equalizer :cool02:

Top Bottom