How many Dorm Visit Trespass Charges are issued

GopherFish

Reaction score
This seems so BS to charge Royce with Trespass which ultimately appears to be the straw breaking the camel's back. It seems the police had a vendetta against Royce for not being as cooperative as they'd like. I'd like to know how often trespass charges are issued for dorm visitors? If its only Royce or very rare, then this is BS. If Royce is singled out...he has every reason to feel threatened for his safety. This travesty should not exist and I blame Maturi and Tubby for not doing anything about it. I wish Gopher fans would picket and protest these rentacops and the others involved in this travesty--FREE ROYCE!!!

This seems so BS to charge Royce with Trespass which ultimately appears to be the straw breaking the camel's back. It seems the police had a vendetta against Royce for not being as cooperative as they'd like. I'd like to know how often trespass charges are issued for dorm visitors? If its only Royce or very rare, then this is BS. If Royce is singled out...he has every reason to feel threatened for his safety. This travesty should not exist and I blame Maturi and Tubby for not doing anything about it. I wish Gopher fans would picket and protest these rentacops and the others involved in this travesty--FREE ROYCE!!!

I just posted this on the long Royce thread... You're right... that's the nature of T-Hall... if you don't want people in your room, lock your door.. otherwise, people will just walk in for conversation... If they charged everyone every time that happened, they'd give out 1000's of misdemeanors EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tresspassing charges are much more likely to be pressed by the law if they coincide with a incident of theft.

Tresspassing charges are much more likely to be pressed by the law if they coincide with a incident of theft.

But apparently they don't because they didn't charge him with theft...

I blame Royce's friend for not confessing.

Way to go buddy! You are a scholar and a gentleman!

Well, from what I understand...he wasn't charged with trespassing simply for being in the dorm was he? I thought he was charged with trespassing because he'd previously been kicked out of the dorm. Small difference.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just going off of what I read here and I don't know how much of it is fact vs. fiction. The kicked out of 2 dorms thing was news to me.

I know when I lived at Dinnaken we had people charged with trespassing who had been kicked out. Territorial was much more loosey goosey, but I don't remember people getting "banned". I must've been hanging out with the wrong people.

Well, from what I understand...he wasn't charged with trespassing simply for being in the dorm was he? I thought he was charged with trespassing because he'd previously been kicked out of the dorm. Small difference.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just going off of what I read here and I don't know how much of it is fact vs. fiction. The kicked out of 2 dorms thing was news to me.

I know when I lived at Dinnaken we had people charged with trespassing who had been kicked out. Territorial was much more loosey goosey, but I don't remember people getting "banned". I must've been hanging out with the wrong people.

No... he said he was charged with 3 counts of trespassing because he went into 3 dorm rooms in territorial hall... not because he was in territorial... that's why the charge is so bogus.

He might have been kicked out in the sense that he could no longer live there (e.g. loud music or having alcohol could get you kicked out), but that doesn't mean he cannot visit there unless he was subject to some restraining order, which I highly doubt. He may or may not have been there to visit someone, but even if not, I'm sure mormons, salesmen and random students looking for a party wouldn't have been hassled or charged with trespass and they don't live there.

He might have been kicked out in the sense that he could no longer live there (e.g. loud music or having alcohol could get you kicked out), but that doesn't mean he cannot visit there unless he was subject to some restraining order, which I highly doubt. He may or may not have been there to visit someone, but even if not, I'm sure mormons, salesmen and random students looking for a party wouldn't have been hassled or charged with trespass and they don't live there.

Apparently he was there because someone said he should come and introduce himself.... he had no restraining order...

No... he said he was charged with 3 counts of trespassing because he went into 3 dorm rooms in territorial hall... not because he was in territorial... that's why the charge is so bogus.

But was that after he'd been banned from Territorial?

I do remember now that when parties were broken up, the dorm cops would take everyone's name down. If you were too stupid to make up a fake name, you'd get on "the list". And too many times on the list and you'd be out for good.

I recall once at Pioneer I was in line as they were taking names and it was SO hard to come up with a fake name...

I do remember now that when parties were broken up, the dorm cops would take everyone's name down. If you were too stupid to make up a fake name, you'd get on "the list". And too many times on the list and you'd be out for good.

I recall once at Pioneer I was in line as they were taking names and it was SO hard to come up with a fake name...

Doesn't matter... he said they said specifically that it was for entering the rooms, not the dorm itself... otherwise it'd be one charge for going into t-hall... it's 3 because he went into 3 rooms...

plus, he's so publicized that people recognize him... i'm sure he would've been stopped if he wasn't allowed in T-Hall

I should have a pretty dinged up record that's for sure...we used to go hit up random rooms all the time if we heard music playing and see what's going on...

Let's just tell it like it is. The police tried for three months to pin a theft on Royce. They failed. The trespassing charges are both an effort to save face and retaliation against Royce for not confessing or implicating others. The entire episode is a travesty and Royce should be concerned that the retaliation against him may not be over.

Let's just tell it like it is. The police tried for three months to pin a theft on Royce. They failed. The trespassing charges are both an effort to save face and retaliation against Royce for not confessing or implicating others. The entire episode is a travesty and Royce should be concerned that the retaliation against him may not be over.

Couldn't have been said any better...

He was never banned from Territorial because he had never lived there as stated in the article.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14310768

And now they check id's when trouble is had in the dorms.... especially Territorial which is still the freshmen party dorm.

UMPD is really looking bad here. If a ticket was issued for every time someone poked their head into someone else's room, the CAs wouldn't have time to do anything else but write people up.

IDs were always checked and recorded in situations. Preferrably U-cards, but if they weren't students, drivers licenses sufficed. If they weren't forthcoming with the IDs, we informed them that we would have to assume everyone was under the age of 18, and John Q. Law would be dealing with them instead of us. That usually did the trick.

im pretty sure 95% of the UMN student body a good 40,000+ would have a record if going into another dorm/dorm room without prior planning was a misdemeanor every time. even from the police record it states that they went in, but when asked to leave they did promptly.

This whole trespassing thing is not the issue. Tubby has indicated that he wasn't going to let Royce play anyway. The police never stopped Royce from playing. It was Tubby's decision. I am sure he has his reasons but it is hard for me to believe this has been handled in the best way possible.

This whole trespassing thing is not the issue. Tubby has indicated that he wasn't going to let Royce play anyway. The police never stopped Royce from playing. It was Tubby's decision. I am sure he has his reasons but it is hard for me to believe this has been handled in the best way possible.

It seems pretty obvious this is about Tubby, he doesn't give a rip about White. It is all about his image and how he is percieved. White is adding to it by making stupid statements. It is time for White to get out of there for his own good.

I honestly dont think it was tubbys decision to not let him play. if anything thats the party line handed down from the AD

You are asking the wrong question. The right question is "How many university students get charged with trespassing in the dorms that don't walk into dorm rooms they aren't invited in."

The answer is ZERO. I'd bet 99.9% of the U's student population never sees this charge, because they don't ever do this. If you aren't in the wrong place, you don't have these problems. But when you walk around like a punk, act like a punk, you get treated like a punk. That's my opinion.

If my daughter was in her room (with her door closed) and some stranger walked in uninvited, I would be concerned. Is this not just common sense? Disregard the fact that you just got caught stealing clothes and shoving a security guard down just prior to this. Knock on the freaking door and get invited in. I suppose if there are keys left in a strangers car and you needed to run to the store quickly it would be ok to take it. As long as you brought it back? Come on people! This guy does not get it, and I'm starting to believe he never will. I feel sorry that he hasn't gotten better guidance in his life to understand basic principle's of being a citizen.

But apparently they don't because they didn't charge him with theft...

It makes no difference whatsoever if he was charged with theft or not. There was a theft and the police believe Royce knows who the thief is. They charged Royce with trespassing to keep the pressure on him to say who the thief is. The police want the thief. They don't care if Royce can play basketball or not. Seems like a good idea to me.

I guess the police can operate however they want.Unfortunately tubby is not going to have a chance to teach rw about life lessons because of the idiotic moral standards placed on a 19 year old. people may not like his attitude, his MOA mistake, his Jwalking charge, his class load,his GPA (These are all irrelevent qualities people dislike about RW per other posts). But the facts are he has not been convicted of a felony, has not been arrested, only accused but is in fact a student with a 3.4 gpa in good standing and a heck of a Basketball player. If the standards the maturi set were based on Innocent until proven Guilty. --hence The RULE of LAW--Tubby would have a chance to teach him the greater life lessons and with MBWKE a NCAA Berth!

Sorry to be blunt and the poloce can conduct themselves how they must.It is too bad that kids lives are affected by this approach when they did not need to be.

Top Bottom