How is Kevin Whaley doing?

74hokie

Reaction score
He's from my part of the county (South Hampton Roads Virginia). Has he fully recovered from the gun-shot? Do you think he will do punt/kickoff returns this season?

He's from my part of the county (South Hampton Roads Virginia). Has he fully recovered from the gun-shot? Do you think he will do punt/kickoff returns this season?

He looked good in the spring game (1 rushing TD). It looks like they have him just playing half back. He's not very big but he runs tough.

he will be running the ball. (not necessarily starting, though)
from what i have read, he was the best back of spring practice.

Sounds like he looked very good this spring, I'd guess he get's quite a bit of playing time this season.

The running back position is wide open coming in to the fall and Whaley seems to have as good of a chance as anyone of becoming the starter. We return a sophomore that was our starter last season until he was injured in game #2 (medical redshirt so he's still a soph). We also have two rising sophomores that handled virtually all of the carries after the #1 guy went down. Whaley was healthy enough to play at the end of last year so the coaches considered burning the redshirt to get him on the field (he allegedly looked better in practice than the other two freshman). We also bring in a 4* RB from Houston in this class that has great size and speed.

As far as kick returning, we have a rising sophomore that led the conference in kick returns last year that will likely retain the primary KR position. The other deep man last season is a rising senior and Whaley could compete for that but I think the existing #2 deep man is a better blocker and will probably keep his position for that reason.

Good to hear he is healthy and competing for a RB role

he was quite a force in the Tidewater area his Jr. and Sr. season...tons of talent but a little small for most D-1 programs to take a chance on him. He had a shot at playing closer to home but opted to go far from home so he could escape his hometown environment and get a fresh start in college.

Brewster may end up looking good on offering this kid, if he can continue to mature and keep his head on straight.

he did not play, but interestingly enough, matt stommes did. did anyone see him playing???

Minnesota Gophers: 1-Green, Brandon, 3B-Haudan, Blake, 4-Carpenter, Hayo, 5-Gray, MarQueis, 9G-Hughes, Curtis, 16-Kuznia, Ben, 20-Thomas, Jay, 23-Eskridge, D, 24-Sherels, Marcus, 25-Dandridge, Tim, 26-Rallis, Mike, 28-Watkins, Kenny, 33-Sharpe, Rex, 37-Ellestad, Eric, 41-Orseske, Dan, 43-Grant, Ryan, 45-Klitzke, Bryan, 47-Coleman, Ryan, 51-Tinsley, Gary, 68-Edwards, Jewhan, 79-Stommes, Matt, 81-Allen, Bryant, 83-McKnight, D, 85-Lair, Eric, 90-Henderson, R, 96-Kirksey, B, 97-Jacobs, Anthony.

Top Bottom