How does the U minimize long term damage from this mess?

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
This mess has the potential to have long-term impact and damage to a football program that really can't afford it. This will likely impact us in recruiting, with ticket sales, fan interest, student athlete trust of admins, the relationship between Claeys and his superiors, the image of the athletic department with the general public, and on and on.

This mess has the potential to have long-term impact and damage to a football program that really can't afford it. This will likely impact us in recruiting, with ticket sales, fan interest, student athlete trust of admins, the relationship between Claeys and his superiors, the image of the athletic department with the general public, and on and on.

Too late. Much of the damage is already done. Kaler and Coyle.

There is no good way to fix this. It's a huge mess.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It may affect recruiting some this year but after that I don't think it will have a major impact on that end.

The real impact will be determined based on how many players are either expelled from school or elect to transfer out. If we lose both Green and Williams because of this the QB situation gets super scary. Tough to say what kind of impact it will have on fans and season ticket sales.

This kind of stuff hurts all giving and will impact the academic and research side of things...do you think big corporations want to be affiliated with dumpster fires?

Kaler and Coyle **** the bed with how this was handled because of poor communication from moment 1. They don't need to reveal confidential info to explain what the process is, why the process is important and how the players are being treated fairly in this process.

Plus they need to understand that these players are young adults and are worthy of consideration and discussion and should not be treated like an after thought. They generate tens of millions in revenue for the U and on most days represent the most public representation of the U.

Kaler and Coyle grossly underestimated the importance of the talent in this process and are now learning the hard way what happens when you slight the money makers...they tend to respond poorly.

And honestly, the players feel like they have nothing to lose because if a teammate can be suspended for a year from school after not being named by the plaintiff in the initial complaint or the secondary TRO...why would they stay and risk their future on such total bull****!

I've got the same sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that I had when the hoops academic scandal broke. I hope I'm wrong, but this feels like a disaster scenario for football.

No matter what happens, anyone with options will leave. This includes coaches.

It could be over in a month or so and then it is just over.... hard to gauge "damage".

I'll repeat my post from the Coyle poll post.

New day. Time to start talking solutions and see if we can save the burning sinking ship.

Here is one guy's starting place for a solution. Goals - respect women, respect due process, respect and demonstrate integrity and values at the University of Minnesota.

I'm under the belief that a football recruit was at this event. As this was a major fail, the recruit host has to go whether involved in the event or not. Those clearly involved in the sexual event are also removed from the team. Perhaps they can remain students, but that behavior cannot be supported by the team and coaches. Tracy needs to publicly agree this is appropriate.

Those not involved in the sexual encounter should receive a quick and fair hearing. Unless significantly egregious behavior that has not been released,they should be reprimanded and asked to lead this next part of the solution.

The marginal participants and the rest of the team and coaches should make consent and respect for women their new off the field agenda, much like the supporting epilepsy was during Jerry's tenure. Ideally, the team would join and support the survivors rally scheduled for tomorrow.

If the mess isn't straighten out to everyone's satisfaction, then many more season ticket holders will leave as well. The brick by brick takes a bit to build. Smashing it down doesn't take long.

Top Bottom