How did we beat Louisville?

balds

Reaction score
Watching the ESPN Gameday crew, everyone had Louisville breezing into the final 4. Most had them in the championship game.

I don't buy the one day rest excuse. They are 18-22 year kids, many who played 10-18 minutes in the Ole Miss Game.

Simple, Stats and Nolen Tell The Story

1. Equal number of rebounds, and turnovers; 2 more assists than the Cards.
2. 27-37 at the line vs. 20-33 for them.
3. 7-19 from 3, vs. 4-17 for them.
4. Lastly and more importantly, Al Nolen had 18 points, 5 assists, and just ONE turnover.

You'll win a lot of games with those kind of stats.

7-19 from 3 is huge for us. If we could shoot 7-19 every game..I'd take it.

Just like Izzo owns Tubby, Tubby owns Pitino.

They wernt playing very well at the beginning of the season.

Just watched the game.

Al was a stud who had alot of confidence..... i wonder where all of that went.

Busch played great. Our defense was great. Hoff could still shoot, etc.

Al was the key. They could not stop his penetration, he got into the lane at will, once there he caused huge problems for them. He either scored, got fouled, or dished the rock to someone who was open due to the breakdown of the D.

If Al could get back to that style the Goph's are a very tough team to deal with.

I recall Blake making a couple shockingly long 3's in the second half. His ability to do that, along with Al's then-studliness, made the Gophers a force to be reckoned with. I know you can't catch lightning in a bottle, but you have to think those players are still in there somewhere. This team needs to press the reset button and recapture that, somehow.

Louisville was not playing well. If I remember correctly they had just dropped a game to a D2 team. They were playing on a very tight schedule and they were not well rested. Finally the game was played back in the days when some of our shots went in the bucket.

Louisville was not playing well. If I remember correctly they had just dropped a game to a D2 team. They were playing on a very tight schedule and they were not well rested. Finally the game was played back in the days when some of our shots went in the bucket.

I dont think you remember correctly. They just beat Ole Miss... maybe your thinking about the game they dropped to Western Kentucky. Western Kentucky made the NCAA tourney too.. however.

Watching the ESPN Gameday crew, everyone had Louisville breezing into the final 4. Most had them in the championship game.

I don't buy the one day rest excuse. They are 18-22 year kids, many who played 10-18 minutes in the Ole Miss Game.

to the original poster's question..."how did we beat louisville?"

many factors played into it...including the fact that the gophers played quite well...but i recall that there were some travel 'issues' associated with louisville's trip to phoenix/glendale...

perhaps due to winter weather, their plane was stuck on the runway for many hours...waiting for clearance to take off...then they flew all night to get into phoenix...

might have caught a bit of a break...like bud grant used to say...it's not who you play...it's when you play them...

here is a quote from the article...

"The Cardinals (7-2) looked weary after crossing the country to play less than 48 hours after a tough 77-68 victory over Ole Miss in Cincinnati on Thursday night.

Pitino called it “the trip from hell.”

The Cardinals landed in the desert before dawn on Friday morning, and Pitino said there were no buses to meet the team at the aiport.

“But that doesn’t take away from Minnesota totally outplaying us,” Pitino said. “The trip from hell didn’t stop us.”

here is the link to the full text...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=200812200363

Seems to me we stymied some of Louisville's young talent. Our D discombobulated them and scorers stopped looking to score and passed the ball instead. We took them out of their game. That and we played a little O.

Al drove at will and got to the line non-stop, he was a beast. Why doesn't he look to penetrate more?!

Top Bottom