How about #9 Jackson

He seemed to figure the game out as the season progressed. He will be tough for the new guys to keep off the field.
He was great today, I think he will be our #1 receiver next season.

I know we've talked about it a bit already, but it's weird how a couple of slight improvements and our WR room looks pretty deep.

CRAB
Jackson
Wright
Brockington
Crooms
Spencer

He's a great receiver and it's my opinion that two years of Sanford messed with Tanner's development because if Tanner had more confidence throwing that ball the last few years Jackson's numbers would be a lot higher.

Yeah, he’s a stud. With CRAB coming back and the further development of Brockington, who I think can be a game breaker a la Bateman, the WR room looks like a strength next year. Who’d a thunk it?!? If just one of the transfers steps in and is a player, we have multiple weapons on the field at WR that is going to prevent teams from doubling us in coverage. And don’t forget Spann-Ford.

If we can solve the RB issue, we just might have the most explosive and dynamic offense in the Fleck era on our hands. Of course that requires Fleck allowing it to play out that way. It also requires a RB to step up. I’m sorry, but I have zero confidence in Potts as a starter. He’s too indecisive as a runner and he can’t get the tough yards. There is potential in the younger players but we obviously haven’t seen it. I’m worried that next year the backfield will as big an issue as the WR corp was this year.

He's a great receiver and it's my opinion that two years of Sanford messed with Tanner's development because if Tanner had more confidence throwing that ball the last few years Jackson's numbers would be a lot higher.
I like PJ and I think it's a massive achievement that we are somewhat ho-hum about a 9 win season, but I think some of this is on PJ.

We are way too often run-run-pass. If it's not run-run-pass, it's because of a holding penalty or we get stuffed on first down. My point is that we are often only throwing when they KNOW we're throwing and/or when we need a first down. You can and should take more chances on early downs.

When you are as run-heavy as we got at times, you put your QB into REALLY difficult positions. I think part of Athan's success has been PJ throwing earlier in downs when Athan took over.

Yeah, he’s a stud. With CRAB coming back and the further development of Brockington, who I think can be a game breaker a la Bateman, the WR room looks like a strength next year. Who’d a thunk it?!? If just one of the transfers steps in and is a player, we have multiple weapons on the field at WR that is going to prevent teams from doubling us in coverage. And don’t forget Spann-Ford.

If we can solve the RB issue, we just might have the most explosive and dynamic offense in the Fleck era on our hands. Of course that requires Fleck allowing it to play out that way. It also requires a RB to step up. I’m sorry, but I have zero confidence in Potts as a starter. He’s too indecisive as a runner and he can’t get the tough yards. There is potential in the younger players but we obviously haven’t seen it. I’m worried that next year the backfield will as big an issue as the WR corp was this year.

Agreed on the RBs, especially in critical short yardage situations. The Gophs will need to come up with something other than RUTM. Since 2018, they have been blessed with very strong short yardage runners with Mo or Seth Green or both. That will need to change.

Agreed on the RBs, especially in critical short yardage situations. The Gophs will need to come up with something other than RUTM. Since 2018, they have been blessed with very strong short yardage runners with Mo or Seth Green or both. That will need to change.
I'm not ripping on anyone, but I don't believe that will be Potts or Williams in that role. I think it will be Evans (or maybe one of the FR).

The only reason I believe this is that if our best options at RB next season were Potts and Williams, I think we would have added a transfer. I trust that PJ realizes the importance of that position.

The reason that is important is that we were pretty good on third and short last year without Mo. I have to believe we think he have that kind of talent in the pipeline.

I'm not ripping on anyone, but I don't believe that will be Potts or Williams in that role. I think it will be Evans (or maybe one of the FR).

The only reason I believe this is that if our best options at RB next season were Potts and Williams, I think we would have added a transfer. I trust that PJ realizes the importance of that position.

The reason that is important is that we were pretty good on third and short last year without Mo. I have to believe we think he have that kind of talent in the pipeline.

It seems like the Gopher running game has been tailored to suit Mo's strengths the past few years but not the other RBs. That strength being an inside to outside zone stretch play. When a back other than Mo comes in, the Gophs seem to run the same plays and blocking schemes, but those schemes don't fit Potts nor Williams.

Potts needs to get the ball in space where he can use his shiftiness. Williams seems more like a classic slashing quick hit gap blocking type back and he's a decent receiver.

I'm looking forward to what Evans and and the two incoming highly rated recruits bring to the table.

Well part of that may also be that Mo is excellent at getting yards where they dont exist. I like Potts but he is not going to create yards from nothing.

I think we'll see a lot of Evans.

He feels like a playmaker guy.

Here is hoping he keeps it going.

Jackson has been tremendous this year. Several huge catches (sideline play at WI/TD today), don't recall many drops. Had games this year of :

6-110
6-51
5-88
5-86
4-73
Thanks for compiling those stats, based on memory alone I didn't think he was super impactful because our passing game was so blasé but he really did have a significant impact

I thought Jackson really improved this year. Just needs to be more consistent. Wished Wright would have done the same but he didn't do much.
Jackson has been tremendous this year. Several huge catches (sideline play at WI/TD today), don't recall many drops. Had games this year of :

6-110
6-51
5-88
5-86
4-73

Jackson just needs to stay healthy. He has all the makings of being a very good WR, just has to stay on the field.

Jackson is really good and he's going to need to be. Those counting on contributions from Wright are going to be disappointed.

It seems like the Gopher running game has been tailored to suit Mo's strengths the past few years but not the other RBs. That strength being an inside to outside zone stretch play. When a back other than Mo comes in, the Gophs seem to run the same plays and blocking schemes, but those schemes don't fit Potts nor Williams.

Potts needs to get the ball in space where he can use his shiftiness. Williams seems more like a classic slashing quick hit gap blocking type back and he's a decent receiver.

I'm looking forward to what Evans and and the two incoming highly rated recruits bring to the table.
It was noticeable today several pitches were called to get Potts into space. They rarely run that for Ibrahim. I think Potts and Evans have similar running styles, and perhaps we will see a lot less of the one-cut zone schemes and RPOs next season. That would be awesome.

Spencer/Jackson = Bateman/Johnson in 2023. Crooms and BSF will also have great years because it’s an embarrassment of riches in terms of weapons.

Thought Potts was doing just fine in 2021 when he was leading the big ten in rushing

Spencer/Jackson = Bateman/Johnson in 2023. Crooms and BSF will also have great years because it’s an embarrassment of riches in terms of weapons.
Sorry but nothing will equal 2019 Bateman/Johnson. As deep as Ohio State has been at WR they haven't even put two WR on the first all big ten team. Doesn't mean no one else can be good, but I seriously doubt we will see that again

Top Bottom