Hollins impressed with visit

Gophers need a guy (or two) that can shoot it. If he can play some defense he'll get a lot of PT here.

Did SIGNING Day move up by two months????

Here is Myron's first sentence:

"The Gophers moved one step closer to signing their second 2010 recruit, when the team hosted Tennessee prep Austin Hollins, a 6-4, 170-pound wing, over the weekend."

Note to Myron - the Gophers have not SIGNED any 2010 recruit. Prospects cannot sign until November. I know this is an easy mistake and one that is made on message boards all the time. But, for a newspaper guy from a major market newspaper to whiff on it is not good.

I like what I have seen of Hollins. We could use a guard with a little height.

Here is Myron's first sentence:

"The Gophers moved one step closer to signing their second 2010 recruit, when the team hosted Tennessee prep Austin Hollins, a 6-4, 170-pound wing, over the weekend."

Note to Myron - the Gophers have not SIGNED any 2010 recruit. Prospects cannot sign until November. I know this is an easy mistake and one that is made on message boards all the time. But, for a newspaper guy from a major market newspaper to whiff on it is not good.
Yes, yes, yes ... Myron was not "technically" correct ("committed" is the right word). But, come on, that post is all about showing up Myron. I bet 80-90% of the national writers out there have been just as sloppy at times. You, me, and everyone else reading this board knew what he meant.

I bet 80-90% of the national writers out there have been just as sloppy at times.

No way. In fact, I bet if you polled the 80-90% of national writers (the really good ones) they would roll their eyes at the thought of a guy working for a major newspaper making such a gaffe. Trust me, college writers understand to never use the word "sign" until signing day. It is pounded into them to use the word "non-binding verbal commitment." It is Basic Sports Reporting 101. Myron will learn with experience. I've said it time and time again, he will eventually be a good reporter. But, he should be cutting teeth at the lower levels right now, not covering a Big Ten team in a Top 20 market.

Top Bottom