Hold on. Russell Wilson didn't complete his Graduate program?

wait!what?

Reaction score
Maybe he is completing it while trying to play for the Seahawks.

I heard there are a lot of players in the NFL that didn't complete their bachelor degree.

Did anyone actually think he'd complete it?

I heard there are a lot of players in the NFL that didn't complete their bachelor degree.

so, the rule re: the grad school needs to offer a program that is not available at current school is moot?

so, the rule re: the grad school needs to offer a program that is not available at current school is moot?

Pretty much. They need to change the rule so that you can transfer to any school if you want to, once you've graduated. Nobody with any sense thought that Wilson was going to Wisconsin for an education.

That's not a requirement. It's repeatedly over and over again by the media, but it's not.

ncaa.org disagrees

http://www.ncaa.org/blog/2012/01/transfer-101/

"To qualify, the student-athlete needed to graduate, enroll in a graduate program not offered by the first institution, and receive permission from the first institution to be granted the waiver (like the one-time transfer exception)."

edit: Scratch that, it looks like the rule was just changed last spring. Now any player with at least one year of eligibility remaining can transfer to any program they want.

I was under the impression Wilson did not take any classes in the fall semester last year and then dropped out. Anyone confirm this?

This reminds of a week in the life of Asad Abdul-Khaliq. The article gives a run down of his weekly schedule in a week where he does no schoolwork or attend any class. Not too smart for the Athletic Department to write this up IMO. They added the lighter class load stuff after it was published.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/103003aaa.html

I would rather they would only allow undergrads to play sports.

I was under the impression Wilson did not take any classes in the fall semester last year and then dropped out. Anyone confirm this?
So he didn't even take a class there?

Did anyone actually think he'd complete it?
I didn't, but who would? He was there for what, 2 semesters? During one of those semesters he was the starting QB for a B1G team (OK, you all knew that). My point is that it would be incredibly difficult to finish a Master's degree in that amount of time. Often Master's students take a year (or more) of classes and then spend about a year or so to defend a proposal, complete the research, do the write up, and defend the finished product. There aren't too many students who finish in less than 2 years of full time commitment. The NCAA has to know that most players who go this route will not finish their degree in on year.

I didn't, but who would? He was there for what, 2 semesters? During one of those semesters he was the starting QB for a B1G team (OK, you all knew that). My point is that it would be incredibly difficult to finish a Master's degree in that amount of time. Often Master's students take a year (or more) of classes and then spend about a year or so to defend a proposal, complete the research, do the write up, and defend the finished product. There aren't too many students who finish in less than 2 years of full time commitment. The NCAA has to know that most players who go this route will not finish their degree in on year.
Shouldn't he have been required to at least attend a class though?

As listed on page 43 of the 2012 Spring Commencement program for UW, under the "Master's Degrees" section:

Russell Carrington Wilson

Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis

Did anyone ever tell you guys not to trust what you read on the Internet?

And by the way, Russell Wilson is an outstanding young man. I wouldn't bet against him in whatever he undertakes in life.

Whatever Wilson did or didn't do is of no consequence to me. This rule stinks.

Top Bottom