Hire Simon as OC NOW!

I didn't get the hire. Simon did as well as anyone possibly could with a one-game audition. And PJ hired an OC who'd already been an OC at 3 different places and a head coach by age 37. Kind of an impressive resume, but then you realize that WKU fired him after two years as a HC. How many head coaches get canned after two years?

Simon might be head coach if the athletic department doesn't start making money somehow.

I mean Simon technically is an OC, we know Sanford is calling plays but how much input does Simon have on everything? They sit right next to each other in the booth every game.

Amen!!!! Sanford is Robb Smith part deux! Figure it out Fleck.
Feels like the sane scenario as with Smith could play out: Sanford is retained, starts as primary OC next year, the offense stinks again big time, and Fleck is forced once again to dismiss his buddy mid-season to try to salvage what's left of the schedule.

Issue right now is that wideouts can’t get open so Morgan is holding the ball too long. And because he is out of sync

Sometimes they’re getting beat physically
Sometimes they’re running man beater routes against zone
Sometimes they’re running zone beater routes against man
Somethings they’re getting open and we are missing them.

Part of that is coordinating, part of that is recruiting, part of that is needing to get better at wideout and at QB (I think his reads are more complicated this year)

Yeah, Simon coached a hell of a game against Auburn. Now, the offense is as predictable as Kill's RUTM offense and that isn't a compliment.
You are so correct. The entire offense seems to be some variation of Ibrahim runs with an occasional slant mixed in. You can get away with that bland of an offensive pallet against bad defenses like Maryland and Illinois, but I doubt it is gonna work against anyone else left on the schedule.

Simon IS co-OC. just saying...
And Callahan is "running game coordinator".

Fluff titles that mean "they help with making the game plan". Whoopty do, every coach helps with the game plan.

Sanford is calling the plays and making the decisions, probably with a bit of oversight or general direction from Fleck (ie, "you've got 4 downs on this one Mike", that type of thing).

The following stats are for Jordan Love, former QB at Utah State.

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2017Utah StateMWCFRQB1212923554.916316.96.586119.3
*2018Utah StateMWCSOQB1326741764.035678.69.4326158.3
*2019Utah StateMWCJRQB1329347361.934027.26.42017129.1

.............. anyone catching what I did here???? (Hint: 2019. Who was the OC and QB coach???? Then, who was the OC and QB coach in 2018?)

I don't know if Simon is the answer, but he had been here long enough to know what we could do and could not do with the players we had. I don't know why Fleck felt the need to bring someone brand new into the mix, and that someone actually has never proven to be very good either. This could be easily remedied by handing the play calling to Simon, but I'm afraid it might go deeper than that, like maybe there were new schemes and philosophies installed by Sanford, which is probably why Morgan looks so lost.

Make the move to Simon, just like they did with Rossi.
The only reason I'd like to see this happen is that maybe Simon would have the stones to tell Fleck that Morgan is gonna be watching from the bench from now on... Maybe Tanner can be the assistant QB coach. He seems destined to be a coach someday... probably much sooner rather than later, too.

The only reason I'd like to see this happen is that maybe Simon would have the stones to tell Fleck that Morgan is gonna be watching from the bench from now on... Maybe Tanner can be the assistant QB coach. He seems destined to be a coach someday... probably much sooner rather than later, too.
Or maybe he’d have Morgan playing like the QB he coached against Auburn.

Or maybe he’d have Morgan playing like the QB he coached against Auburn.
Well, maybe... He might help him get some confidence back, so he's not afraid to heave up some of those passes.

And as to that Auburn game, this pass exemplifies that whole season for me..

Well, maybe... He might help him get some confidence back, so he's not afraid to heave up some of those passes.

And as to that Auburn game, this pass exemplifies that whole season for me..
That’s great coordinating and quarterbacking.

unlike last week when a wideout dropped a wide out dropped a wide open slant

Top Bottom