High school state tourney cancelled.

ltf

Reaction score
Limit participation to players, officials, and families and play the tournament.
People are still going to work, schools and shops are open so why are we acting like getting a few people together in a gym is a problem? Test players ahead of time if that would help. In my neck of the woods, Blooming Prairie made state for the first time in 64 years. These players have no doubt been dreaming of this possibility thru their school years and now no reward. Is fear of lawsuits the issue? If schools from outstate dont like the idea of staying in motels, maybe play the first round at a point halfway between the schools. What am I missing here?

Limit participation to players, officials, and families and play the tournament.
People are still going to work, schools and shops are open so why are we acting like getting a few people together in a gym is a problem? Test players ahead of time if that would help. In my neck of the woods, Blooming Prairie made state for the first time in 64 years. These players have no doubt been dreaming of this possibility thru their school years and now no reward. Is fear of lawsuits the issue? If schools from outstate dont like the idea of staying in motels, maybe play the first round at a point halfway between the schools. What am I missing here?
Every state/college tournament that started out with plans to "play with no fans" that I've seen has ended up cancelling. I'm not sure what the reason is, but it seems no one wants to go through with this scenario.

in a word - lawsuit.

All it would take is for one fan to get sick and die after attending a game, and the lawyers would be lining up around the block to sue the HS league.

Big organizations are risk-averse. And they love to play follow-the-leader. that gives them cover.

It sucks for the players. But - at the same time, if every pro sports league, every level of college sports are not playing, it gets harder to justify playing HS games. The minute they cancelled the NCAA tournament, I knew the HS State Tournaments were toast.

Players, officials, trainers, doctors, game operations, families x 2 teams per game x 1 game running into the next game. That adds up. All those plans that were canceled included media, radio and tv crews (announcers, camera operators, all the people in the tv truck).

There are people with symptoms that can't get tested all over this country.

A lot of people felt fine, never had symptoms and discovered they were infected. Imagine if a player or coach or someone working in the arena discovered they were infected after the tournament? That's a lot of self quarantines because of a high school game.

Not the first time I’ve seen some proposed idea say “test the players ahead of time” and maybe the coaches and officials. Who’s gonna do these tests? With what tests? Isn’t that the main problem with our health care system right now is that they can only test people who were overseas due to the number of available tests?

in a word - lawsuit.

All it would take is for one fan to get sick and die after attending a game, and the lawyers would be lining up around the block to sue the HS league.

Big organizations are risk-averse. And they love to play follow-the-leader. that gives them cover.

It sucks for the players. But - at the same time, if every pro sports league, every level of college sports are not playing, it gets harder to justify playing HS games. The minute they cancelled the NCAA tournament, I knew the HS State Tournaments were toast.

Have them sign a waiver!

in a word - lawsuit.

Yeah, was kind of thinking as well that lawsuits might be the issue. If McDonalds can be sued for a hot cup of coffee then suppose nothing is off limits - ridiculous.

Players, officials, trainers, doctors, game operations, families x 2 teams per game x 1 game running into the next game. That adds up. All those plans that were canceled included media, radio and tv crews (announcers, camera operators, all the people in the tv truck).

There are people with symptoms that can't get tested all over this country.

A lot of people felt fine, never had symptoms and discovered they were infected. Imagine if a player or coach or someone working in the arena discovered they were infected after the tournament? That's a lot of self quarantines because of a high school game.

in a word - lawsuit.

They would never be able to trace an illness to a game, so its not a lawyer issue. Its simple common sense to reduce transmission rates as much as possible.

Yeah, was kind of thinking as well that lawsuits might be the issue. If McDonalds can be sued for a hot cup of coffee then suppose nothing is off limits - ridiculous.

What are you guys talking about? Its common flipping sense. My state has banned all gatherings of more than 250 people.

Reactions: ltf

What are you guys talking about? Its common flipping sense. My state has banned all gatherings of more than 250 people.
Pretty stupid ..what about 249 that is ok...depends on a lot more than just an arbitrary number of people

Just heard North Dakota played 1st round of their state tournament last night and then canceled today. Guess cv is so serious they couldnt play 3 more games in an empty gym despite the rest of the state milling around like normal. Just seems to me like we are not using a lot of common sense with this in a lot of ways - hoarding tp another example.

A reminder - this is just the beginning. every health expert I've heard says that, if the corona outbreak in the US follows the same pattern as China and Italy, the number of cases will double every 6 days, give or take. And they say we will likely hit the top of the curve sometime in April.

This is going to get worse before it gets better.

A month from now, if things happen as predicted, I would not be surprised to see all schools closed or going to e-learning days. Movie theaters and shopping malls could be closed, and essential businesses only left open - gas stations, pharmacies, grocery stores, etc.

If that is the case, forget about Spring sports for HS.

This is pretty ironic. From what I hear, every Wal-Mart, Costco, and Target is in full panic mode and there are way more than 250 people trying to secure the last roll of toilet paper.

This is pretty ironic. From what I hear, every Wal-Mart, Costco, and Target is in full panic mode and there are way more than 250 people trying to secure the last roll of toilet paper.

There aren't 50 people within 10 feet of you in Costco like an event, its all about reducing risks and no one knows at what point the risk factor jumps so a point is being set.

The mighty Jalen Suggs will not win a state championship in anything his senior year. Angry he will not be a Gopher, but feel sorry for the kid.

There aren't 50 people within 10 feet of you in Costco like an event, its all about reducing risks and no one knows at what point the risk factor jumps so a point is being set.

Then why not also cancel schools, movies, shops, etc. Why just cancel state tournament that will be played in front of no one ?

Then why not also cancel schools, movies, shops, etc. Why just cancel state tournament that will be played in front of no one ?

Not sure why playing in front of no one isn't being done other than cost, I'm guessing liability if a player is positive and infects others and inability to test for it are factors.

Reactions: ltf

Why is it common sense? Schools and shops are open, theaters are open, people milling about all over. Why is some people getting together in a gym different?

Florida, Illinois, Virginia and Washington Close Schools for Coronavirus

American College of Surgeons - Each hospital, health system, and surgeon should thoughtfully review all scheduled elective procedures with a plan to minimize, postpone, or cancel electively scheduled operations....(Only a matter of time before the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Urologic Association, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, etc say the same)

UCSF Notes from a Convening of Experts - March 10th - 40-70% of the US population will be infected over the next 12-18 months. After that level you can start to get herd immunity. Unlike flu this is entirely novel to humans, so there is no latent immunity in the global population. The fatality rate is in the range of 10X flu.

They are looking at opening up shuttered hospitals.

All travel for work by University hospitals has been banned. All medical conferences have been cancelled.

Good Lord people... Wake up!

Stop buying N95 masks. Unless you are directly caring for someone who is ill or you are ill yourself, you are not doing anything to protect yourself from this virus. However, you are directly impacting the supply of these masks such that healthcare providers don’t have enough supplies to protect themselves to care for our most vulnerable. Doctors in Seattle are having to reuse N95 due to a shortage and this is not the manufactures recommendation.

I agree that a lawsuit is a reason for this...maybe not even 1% of the reason.

Do your part. Do not perform the ultimate act selfishness where you endanger others and completely screw over your physicians/healthcare system.

Florida, Illinois, Virginia and Washington Close Schools for Coronavirus

American College of Surgeons - Each hospital, health system, and surgeon should thoughtfully review all scheduled elective procedures with a plan to minimize, postpone, or cancel electively scheduled operations....(Only a matter of time before the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Urologic Association, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, etc say the same)

UCSF Notes from a Convening of Experts - March 10th - 40-70% of the US population will be infected over the next 12-18 months. After that level you can start to get herd immunity. Unlike flu this is entirely novel to humans, so there is no latent immunity in the global population. The fatality rate is in the range of 10X flu.

They are looking at opening up shuttered hospitals.

All travel for work by University hospitals has been banned. All medical conferences have been cancelled.

Good Lord people... Wake up!

Stop buying N95 masks. Unless you are directly caring for someone who is ill or you are ill yourself, you are not doing anything to protect yourself from this virus. However, you are directly impacting the supply of these masks such that healthcare providers don’t have enough supplies to protect themselves to care for our most vulnerable. Doctors in Seattle are having to reuse N95 due to a shortage and this is not the manufactures recommendation.

I agree that a lawsuit is a reason for this...maybe not even 1% of the reason.

Do your part. Do not perform the ultimate act selfishness where you endanger others and completely screw over your physicians/healthcare system.

No one is denying any of your post. Just seems lack of common sense to cancel one lightly attended event while so much else is business as usual.

Does anyone know if TV contracts are for a flat fee -- meaning the NBA/NHL/MLS/NCAA/MSHL etc. all get paid for the TV rights they negotiated even though the games aren't being played? Sure they're losing ticket revenue, but are they also losing TV revenue?

No one is denying any of your post. Just seems lack of common sense to cancel one lightly attended event while so much else is business as usual.
What is ‘so much’?

Everything seems pretty different for my non
physician/surgeon counterparts? Brother works from home and is not allowed in his main hub. Teachers are either off or moving their classes online. Friends have cancelled domestic vacations and trips bc of the gravity of the situation. Grocery stores have nothing in them at some locations.

Already discussed on various boards how the economy changes from sports not being played. People cannot retire if they did not plan well w their 401. People in college are leaving campus to learn online. Those same upcoming graduations w have a harder time finding jobs bc people are not retiring.
Production from various sectors decreases w those who are ill or the need to change protocols.

Would like clarification on what you mean?

Maybe it is not for you and your friends/colleagues (or area of the country). I concede it may not be affecting everyone for whatever reason.

Just trying to raise awareness bc I do think ppl deny the post. Luckily, you do not and can help w spreading facts to help your doctors rather than fear (or false statements from the executive branch ? )

in a word - lawsuit.

SON - this is like a nuclear bomb exploding. I don't think the biggest worry is about lawsuits in a life and death situation like we are in. This pandemic that can potentially killed thousands or even more. It will disrupt the economy and strain government and civic entities beyond what we have never seen before.

No lawsuit is going to stand.

Off-Topic:

These are slow times in college sports. So, there is time to dilly-dally until Dilly Bar Dan is back in business.

Speaking of lawsuits. There was a big one in history.

I am reminded of Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain suing the Axis Power and Hitler for peace. He and French Premier Edouard Daladier secured a "non-aggression" pact from Hitler and Mussolini. After getting off the airplane on a rainy drizzly day on September 30, 1938, he waved a copy of the treaty he secured jubilantly.

The prime minister read to the nation the brief agreement that reaffirmed “the desire of our two peoples never to go to war with one another again.” The British public were jubilant. “Now I recommend you to go home and sleep quietly in your beds.” As Britain slept, the German army marched into Czechoslovakia in “peaceful conquest” of the Sudetenland.

This brought Winston Churchill into the government as First Lord of the Admiralty to begin the war planning. IMHO, Sir Winston Churchill is one of the most important individual in history in rising to the challenge of Hitler and victory in World War II. He was an astute and consummate statesman. A very persuasive leader in British history when they needed one.

He had a great affinity for the American people. His mother, Jennie Jerome, was an American born on New York.

Last edited:

You have mentioned common sense repeatedly. The epiphany for me was when Geno Auriema was on ESPN. He talked about how nobody is supposed to shake hands even. Yet it would be ok for players to compete with each other in close proximity, breath/sweat and handle the ball itself? Where is the common sense in that?

Also even the Jazz players that have tested negative are still in self quarantine, because the exposure can take several days to incubate to the point where they would test positive.

You have mentioned common sense repeatedly. The epiphany for me was when Geno Auriema was on ESPN. He talked about how nobody is supposed to shake hands even. Yet it would be ok for players to compete with each other in close proximity, breath/sweat and handle the ball itself? Where is the common sense in that?

Also even the Jazz players that have tested negative are still in self quarantine, because the exposure can take several days to incubate to the point where they would test positive.

100% agree. My disconnect is why so much of the rest of life is going as normal, but cancel this lightly attended event.

What is ‘so much’?

Everything seems pretty different for my non
physician/surgeon counterparts? Brother works from home and is not allowed in his main hub. Teachers are either off or moving their classes online. Friends have cancelled domestic vacations and trips bc of the gravity of the situation. Grocery stores have nothing in them at some locations.

Already discussed on various boards how the economy changes from sports not being played. People cannot retire if they did not plan well w their 401. People in college are leaving campus to learn online. Those same upcoming graduations w have a harder time finding jobs bc people are not retiring.
Production from various sectors decreases w those who are ill or the need to change protocols.

Would like clarification on what you mean?

Maybe it is not for you and your friends/colleagues (or area of the country). I concede it may not be affecting everyone for whatever reason.

Just trying to raise awareness bc I do think ppl deny the post. Luckily, you do not and can help w spreading facts to help your doctors rather than fear (or false statements from the executive branch ? )

Minnesota schools not canceled, theaters open, shops open. Maybe will get to the point of mass disruption but until then let the kids play imo.

Does anyone know if TV contracts are for a flat fee -- meaning the NBA/NHL/MLS/NCAA/MSHL etc. all get paid for the TV rights they negotiated even though the games aren't being played? Sure they're losing ticket revenue, but are they also losing TV revenue?
Frankly, in such an unprecedented scenario, I wouldn't be surprised if contracts are not honored down to the last letter.

They might say "just go ahead and sue us, this is all going to court anyhow, we aren't paying you a dime until then".

Minnesota schools not canceled, theaters open, shops open. Maybe will get to the point of mass disruption but until then let the kids play imo.
Well, I suppose it is extremely unlikely that those four states who did change their schools (along all the other broadway theaters that are closed) are not the NBA and MN is the NHL/MLB/the masters...?

Students still are going to class at the U of M? I don’t know. Interesting if so.

I do hope that you do not have to cancel airfare to see family who aren’t local or if you drive to see them, can only look through a window for safety.

Would seem hypocritical that you don’t deny the facts of the post and also acknowledge what the CDC, WHO, and epidemiologists say about the importance of containment and flattening the curve.... and yet want the contradiction.

But perhaps not. To each their own.

Well, I suppose it is extremely unlikely that those four states who did change their schools (along all the other broadway theaters that are closed) are not the NBA and MN is the NHL/MLB/the masters...?

Students still are going to class at the U of M? I don’t know. Interesting if so.

I do hope that you do not have to cancel airfare to see family who aren’t local or if you drive to see them, can only look through a window for safety.

Would seem hypocritical that you don’t deny the facts of the post and also acknowledge what the CDC, WHO, and epidemiologists say about the importance of containment and flattening the curve.... and yet want the contradiction.

But perhaps not. To each their own.

If I understand, your point is that Minnesota is behind the curve and SHOULD be isolating more, which certainly is reasonable and in such an environment would agree that state tourneys be canceled. Just seems to me that until we get to that point of mass isolation that we are unfairly singleing out an event that is very meaningful to these kids. State tourney is taken away but kids are still intetacting in school, dont see how anything is gained.

Top Bottom