High school ratings

MillionMoves

Reaction score
Using the simple method of comparative scores, here are the top 20 Minnesota HS basketball teams thru Tuesday. Hopkins is an extremely impressive 9 points better than 2nd place Henry Sibley. Future Gopher Royce White leads the talented Royals with a 13.1 scoring average.

1 Hopkins
2 Henry Sibley
3 Osseo
4 Eden Prairie
5 St Cloud Tech
6 Mpls Washburn
7 Cooper
8 Edina
9 Grand Rapids
10 St Bernards
11 Pelican Rapids
12 St Paul Johnson
13 Wayzata
14 Minnehaha Academy
15 Lakeville North
16 Mankato West
17 Champlin Park
18 Maple Grove
19 Shakopee
20 Buffalo

Only 4 outstate schools...Not surprised, but it never used to be that way, back in my day that is...The Big Nine used to always (it seemed) have at least one if not two schools in the top 20...Southern Minny basketball seems to have gone downhill big-time.

trout, now you are taking me back in time...Who were the members of the Big Nine way back? Thanks.

Mankato West has been on this list for probably the last 4 or 5 years since they won state last. Owatonna was probably on this list a couple years ago as well, but other than those two teams the Big 9 hasn't been as dominant as it once was. Early 2000's the Big 9 was pretty stellar though with West and East battling it out in Kato, Woodside at Albert Lea, and Faribault had a pretty good team too. Also, JM had a pretty good team with Longar Longar.

Mankato West has been on this list for probably the last 4 or 5 years since they won state last. Owatonna was probably on this list a couple years ago as well, but other than those two teams the Big 9 hasn't been as dominant as it once was. Early 2000's the Big 9 was pretty stellar though with West and East battling it out in Kato, Woodside at Albert Lea, and Faribault had a pretty good team too. Also, JM had a pretty good team with Longar Longar.

Well, I'm from Austin. Played on the 72 team that was a great story...for us and Packer Land. We were so-so during the Big Nine Conference that year...I think we took 4th place, but we had Jim Riles who averaged 27pts/game... As they say we caught fire and beat a few teams and met Mankato West for the region title at Mayo Civic Center...Great game, sold out arena, we won and met Mpls North (#1 rated team in the state) in our 1st game at the Barn...Smoked them, something like by 20 pts...Won our next game (St Paul North) and then played Mark Landsberger and Moundsview in the large school title game....Lost by 9 or so....We had no answer for Mark....Great experience!

OK. Big Nine back in the 60's:

Winona, Rochester JM, Rochester Mayo, Austin, Albert Lea, Mankato, Faribault?, Northfield?, Waseca?, Owatonna?, Who were they again?

trout, now you are taking me back in time...Who were the members of the Big Nine way back? Thanks.

The original Big Nine---- Austin-Albert Lea-Faribault-Red Wing-Winona-Rochester JM-(add Rochester Mayo)_-Owatonna-Mankato-(add Mankato West) There's another Rochester school (Century) as well today...

OK. Big Nine back in the 60's:

Winona, Rochester JM, Rochester Mayo, Austin, Albert Lea, Mankato, Faribault?, Northfield?, Waseca?, Owatonna?, Who were they again?

Thank you Dr Don -- I forgot Nothfield....

Red Wing I forgot about. Thanks Trout.

Sorry about the 'Glory Days' thread....but it's fun memories!

Why apologize? Maybe some of the youngsters on the board enjoy some history. If not? They do not know what they are missing. Thanks for the memories, Trout. Sincerely, Dr. Don

Well, I'm from Austin. Played on the 72 team that was a great story...for us and Packer Land. We were so-so during the Big Nine Conference that year...I think we took 4th place, but we had Jim Riles who averaged 27pts/game... As they say we caught fire and beat a few teams and met Mankato West for the region title at Mayo Civic Center...Great game, sold out arena, we won and met Mpls North (#1 rated team in the state) in our 1st game at the Barn...Smoked them, something like by 20 pts...Won our next game (St Paul North) and then played Mark Landsberger and Moundsview in the large school title game....Lost by 9 or so....We had no answer for Mark....Great experience!

Ah you must have played against my dad. Jim Northenscold from Mankato West.

Probably... it was a great game AND (ask your dad) it was on TV....

Yeah I will have to ask my dad about it. I seem to remember him talking about a huge game against Austin.

Top Bottom