hey students

Reaction score
All this talk about people getting black market student tickets makes me think our student section will welcome these sleaze bags with open arms! One would think it would be uncomfortable to be wearing enemy colors in your section. If people can wheel into your territory and cheer for the visitor and you allow it, then open it up to anyone.

From everything i heard, the people in red in the student section during this years stomping of puss-consin basketball took it pretty hard the whole game. I fully anticipate a similarly hostile crowd at football games this year.

Personally, ive already made it known that I will do horrid things to anyone wearing red in my student section's front row.

One would think it would be uncomfortable to be wearing enemy colors in your section. If people can wheel into your territory and cheer for the visitor and you allow it, then open it up to anyone.

I'll never forget sitting with some of my buddies who go to school in Madison for the Gopher/Badger game at Camp Randall in 2004. I was the only person wearing Gold within about a 150-foot radius, so as you can imagine, the heckling was pretty much non-stop (the Gophers losing 35-14, or something in that neighborhood, didn't help). Early in the 3rd quarter, following a sweet TD run by #22 (what was that kid's name again?) I turned to acknowledge some taunting by holding out the word "MINNESOTA" from my shirt. I promptly had a pint bottle of Jim Beam chucked at my head.

I'm not saying I wish Minnesota fans treated Badger fans to flying bottles of Jim Beam, but to use Jay's words, I certainly felt "uncomfortable to be wearing enemy colors" in their section. There are a lot of non-lethal ways to make someone feel uncomfortable in your student section, and I'd like to see these on display this year now that I've been removed from my home (the student section).

The first time I went to the Camp for an Axe game was 2006, and I sat in the student section with a group. After going in, I began to think I should have wore my chest guard and hard hat. It was not the most pleasant thing. IIRC, the game was over before I even got out into the seating bowl.

My next encounter with a bloody red student section was this past January. A few Gopher friends and I were in the middle of the Grateful Red for "When you say Wis-con-sin, you've said CHOKE! Part 1", and their performance was disgraceful. Disgraceful in the sense that they did NOTHING to us. No a$$hole, no flying objects, and no much taunting in general.

Big props to the Barnyard. The reception they gave the few weasel fans was much, much worse than what we got in Madison. IIRC, they madde a couple of weasels cry, and that was before the ChemE Flying Pizza struck.

I was in the Camp Randall Student Section last year, and it really was not bad at all. There was a group of about 8 of us in all out gold, we got a couple asshole chants, but that was it. For most of the game the section was quiet and seemed to care more about the wave than anything else.

If there wasn't red in the student section in 2005, Kucek wouldn't have dropped that punt.

I was in the Camp Randall Student Section last year, and it really was not bad at all. There was a group of about 8 of us in all out gold, we got a couple asshole chants, but that was it. For most of the game the section was quiet and seemed to care more about the wave than anything else.

same as my experience. i was harrassed way less than I had thought a all gold fan would get.

I remember a group of 4 Wisconsin fans infiltrating the student section in the fall of 1999. They sat one row in front of me. I don't remember all the specifics of the game but we lost and there were a few controversial plays (one that I remember was a play where the Wiscy RB fumbled it out the back of the end zone from the ~3 yd line--by rule it should have been our ball at the 20--but the refs were too slow to keep up with the RB & DB to see the play and they ruled it a TD. Replay was not available at the time but the replay on the Jumbotron clearly showed it was a fumble). As it started to become clear we would lose the Wiscy fans in front of me were standing and being obnoxious until a barrage of empty beer glasses flew down upon them--and the people like me that were a few rows behind them. When they ran out of the empty cups of beer they started tossing the cups that still had beer in them. Eventually the Wisconsin players brought the axe over to "chop down" the goal post in front of us and the beer cups flew on to the field to cover the Wisconsin players (ah, the good old days of having a Greek section directly behind the goal post).

It may have been poor sportsmanship but as a fan in the student section that ended up being drenched in beer I still loved it.

It may have been poor sportsmanship but as a fan in the student section that ended up being drenched in beer I still loved it.

May have been? ;) Though, I suppose the fact that the targets were Sconnies needs to be taken into account.

I sincerely hope this type of behavior becomes the norm at TCF, and not an isolated incident here and there like it was in the homerdome. Not condoning any physically violent acts, but the overall uncomfortableness of visitors sitting in the student section is mandatory, I think, to having a good home field advantage.

So in the future, when U students who grew up to the east or the south have their wisky/iowa brethren try to get them tickets so they can come and visit, they will relay the message, "yeah, I can try....but you better be ready to get ready for about 3 1/2 hours of intense verbal abuse, and have a bunch of sh!t thrown at you" Hopefully, that will keep away anything but those diehards, (like those on this thread) from wanting to make the trip.

Top Bottom