"Hey Minnesota....thank you!"

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
This was the comment given to me by more than one group of Illinois fans after the game yesterday, thanking us for getting them one step closer to firing Zook. One program vendor was trying to hawk his remaining copies after the game by saying "Get your programs...Zook's last program?"

There is definitely some unrest with Zook, similar to where we were with Brewster around this time last year.

That aside, yesterday's game was a pleasure to watch in person. The first half was as much fun as I've had watching the Gophers in some time. The second half was filled with "here we go again" moments, but the team managed to respond each time. So refreshing.

It was a pretty dismal showing by Gopher fans, even by our standards in a 1-9 season. We had about 25 empty rows for the first quarter until other fans moved over to fill it in a little bit. There was a tidbit in this morning's Champaign News-Gazette about how the St. Paul Pioneer Press beat writer didn't even want to show up because the Gophers were so bad, with a Marcus Fuller quite about some "big" women's basketball tournament back home, and that men's hoops opened on Friday. Apparently the only reason he came was because the flight was booked well in advance. I admit to thinking the same thing while en route on Friday, but then again, I'm not getting paid to be there.

Bottom line, though, it felt GREAT to get a win, even in a lost season. And I'm probably one of only a handful of fans to be in attendance for both of our wins this year.

BEAT IOWA

Before the season I was planning on taking a couple road trips and Champaign was on the list. However, the season has been so disheartening that I just couldn't do it. I can't drive that far that long without hope.

Man if I'm the beat writer on this team I'm loving documenting the season. Other than a championship season, what other kind of season gives you as much to write about? We've had hirings, firings, records (both good and bad) set, high hopes, no hopes, controversy ... the guy should be salivating. Of course, the questions he has to ask must be a little tougher when everyone is pissed off ... but I'd take the job.

Before the season I was planning on taking a couple road trips and Champaign was on the list. However, the season has been so disheartening that I just couldn't do it. I can't drive that far that long without hope.

I was in the same boat.

I was in the same boat.

I am as well.

This weekend is exactly why I should always just go with my heart and go to all of the games that I plan on going to. I can't remember being more pumped up about a win in a long time, just because I really wanted this one for the guys on the team. I really wish I would have been there.

Oh well, I am excited for the Iowa game and I hope they get a deserved ovation from the crowd. Brewster is gone so there is no need to boo anymore, so I hope they get the support they deserve.

I was in Champaign. It was awesome. We went with no expectations and ended up having some of the most fun I've ever had at a Gopher game.

Oh well, I am excited for the Iowa game and I hope they get a deserved ovation from the crowd. Brewster is gone so there is no need to boo anymore, so I hope they get the support they deserve.

Well said.

This weekend is exactly why I should always just go with my heart and go to all of the games that I plan on going to.

I learned that lesson with the 2002 Music City Bowl. When we were 7-1 and nationally ranked, I was all about going to whatever bowl game we ended up in, but after getting destroyed in the last four games of the season, and the prospect of facing Arkansas's vaunted running game, I was too disheartened to go. So of course, we steamrolled them.

I can't remember being more pumped up about a win in a long time, just because I really wanted this one for the guys on the team.

Same. Glad we face bye next so we can fully enjoy this for a week before turning attention to the scum from the south.

Top Bottom