Hey College Football Fans...Leave Recruits Alone!-Subway Domer (A Notre Dame Blog)

CrocShots

Not Minnesota Nice
Reaction score
http://www.subwaydomer.com/2012-articles/january/hey-college-football-fans-leave-recruits-alone.html

I am proposing a set of standards:

Absolutely NO Facebook. Do not "friend" these recruits or join their "groups." Facebook is much too personal. Even asking to be a friend just to follow what they say is too intrusive.
If you are on Twitter, I think it is OK to follow a recruits account. It's basically public information, so seeing what info is out there is no big deal. However... if a recruit's account is protected, I recommend not following. A protected account needs the approval of the user, which is a lot like Facebook friending. Also, DO NOT INTERACT WITH A RECRUIT FOR ANY REASON. It doesn't matter if you are just saying something like,
"Congrats man! Eastern Michigan needed you and your decision just made my day!" Or,
"Our class is filling up! Still have room at Wyoming for great TE recruits like you. Be a Cowboy and be a LEGEND 4eva!!!"
None of this is OK.
That should be simple enough. Basically, don't interact with someone else's kid. Don't become involved. Don't be a factor- whether good or bad.

The whole article is good, but I liked his standards. Thoughts?

What's so personal about Facebook? Saying it is OK to follow a Twitter feed, but not Facebook doesn't make much sense - what difference does it make, it's just a means of distributing information. I don't think that requiring approval makes any difference. Facebook "friends" aren't real friends. I may agree that posting to them is not a great idea, but I see no problem with people reading the Facebook posts someone chooses to share with the world. I don't follow recruits on either Facebook or Twitter, but I don't see the fuss about it.

I am pretty much in agreement with him on all counts. I don't have a Facebook account and use Twitter very sparingly, but I wouldn't want to even "follow" these high school kids much less leave a comment for them. Yeah, I'm old, but I understand the value of social media and how it has changed the world for the better in many ways. This is one place that it has probably changed things for the worse.

You can call me "old school" or "not a Penn State coach" but I just don't feel right as an adult man following teenage boys on Facebook, Twitter, or watching videos of them on YouTube.

I am pretty much in agreement with him on all counts. I don't have a Facebook account and use Twitter very sparingly, but I wouldn't want to even "follow" these high school kids much less leave a comment for them. Yeah, I'm old, but I understand the value of social media and how it has changed the world for the better in many ways [stalking]. This is one place that it has probably changed things for the worse.

Fixed it.

Do you also refrain from watching them on the football field? High schools actually have events where people are encouraged to watch high school students play games...

What's so personal about Facebook? Saying it is OK to follow a Twitter feed, but not Facebook doesn't make much sense - what difference does it make, it's just a means of distributing information. I don't think that requiring approval makes any difference. Facebook "friends" aren't real friends. I may agree that posting to them is not a great idea, but I see no problem with people reading the Facebook posts someone chooses to share with the world. I don't follow recruits on either Facebook or Twitter, but I don't see the fuss about it.

The difference is that Facebook has (the option for anyway) a potentially larger mass of shared personal information as compared to another site like Twitter. Whereas Twitter often includes a great deal of people following other people they may have found through similar keywords or hashtags and the like, Facebook is usually comprised of people who already had personal relationships prior to or unrelated to Facebook. It's one thing to follow someone on Twitter and see what they're choosing to express publicly across the 'net. Its another thing entirely to be able to see personal photos of their vacations, daily lives, social scenes, families etc. etc. and have all of that access to their immediate social lives and circle. Granted people have different levels of privacy on either of these sites, but as a whole, Facebook is quite a bit more revealing and (potentially) intrusive. Therefore i really do think i'm more comfortable, personally, with the idea of Twitter following being more acceptable.

Facebook is only as revealing or as personal as you want it to be. It's just a communication method. Many people have multiple Facebook account, one for the world at large, and another for actual friends and family.

Following a player on Twitter to see which way he is leaning is no big deal to me. I follow a couple. The GI guys follow most Gopher commits.

I don't really understand the point of "friending" someone you aren't actually friends with, who you will never meet, and who doesn't give a piss about you personally. Watching youtube videos of a player is a 100% different thing in my mind (unless it's videos of them doing something other than playing sports....that's weird).

I already care about sports far more than a healthy and intelligent person should. I draw the line at caring even in the slightest about their personal lives. Even if you're following them just for recruiting info, it still seems like you have to wade through about 99% of personal crap. I have, for example, seen posters say:

"______ recruit just posted that they were "sick of being taken for granted", i wonder if our coaching staff has stopped calling." when it's a transparent case of teenage melodrama with some girl.

all of this is to say that you obviously have the right to follow anyone you want, so long as they accept you (which is another issue...i have no idea why they do). but yeah, put me in the category of people who find it a little creepy. maybe i'm just a luddite.

The thing is, you aren't really "friending" them. It's just a term facebook uses. If they used some other term, would it make any difference?

The thing is, you aren't really "friending" them. It's just a term facebook uses. If they used some other term, would it make any difference?
Honestly, it probably would. Facebook was created to be something different than myspace, which turned into a place where pedophiles could meet kids. Things have obviously changed, but I still view it as a place for people who actually know each other to keep in touch.

For some people, it's for friends to keep in touch, but it can be about your favorite TV shows, products, etc. 343,793 people "Like" the Pepsodent Facebook page. Over 5,000 people "Like" the Minnesota Gopher Football Facebook page.

Top Bottom