Hewitt fired at Georgia Tech; when do the Tubby rumors start?

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
I just figured I'd consolidate what will be a lot of bantering into one thread.

Note: I don't even plan on participating, just didn't want 15 different threads on it wasting space on the board.

Tough Break For Hewitt

Ga Tech won't hire (or even consider) a 60 year old replacement.

Maybe he can get Saul an interview, that way we can get a new assistant coach and go undefeated next year;)

Note: I don't even plan on participating, just didn't want 15 different threads on it wasting space on the board.

I appreciate the effort, but you know it's going to happen anyway.

Its called sarcasm. Relax buddy, its a college basketball message board there's no reason to getting riled up for no reason. Go youtube Tubbys 1998 national title run and enjoy the day.

Its called sarcasm. Relax buddy, its a college basketball message board there's no reason to getting riled up for no reason. Go youtube Tubbys 1998 national title run and enjoy the day.

No, it's ridiculous. Tubby deserves his share of the blame for 2011 meltdown. Saul doesn't. Period.

No, it's ridiculous. Tubby deserves his share of the blame for 2011 meltdown. Saul doesn't. Period.

Tubby is responsible for any and all blame for the miserable 2010-11 season. Saul, as a highly paid member of the coaching staff, certainly is responsible for his areas of the team.

Is the kid only collecting a salary for fun? Or does he have responsibilites that are part and parcel of the team?

I agree that is why I said it. It was a sarcastic post referring to the thread concerning Saul being over his head a few days ago.

Again, relax before you youtube Tubby cutting down the net go look up the definition of sarcasm.

As a Tech alumnus and donor to the GT AA, the (fairly credible) rumors we're getting is that (a) the AA was able to negotiate a lower buyout of Hewitt in the neighborhood of $2MM (brining his buyout to ~ $5.2MM) and (b) the fundraising effors were very successful to not only buy Hewitt out, but to at least go after a reasonably big-named coach. We've been hearing that the AD is particularly keen to go after Kevin Stallings at Vandy, although it's unlikely he would leave Vanderbilt for Tech. The other name who is even less likely to leave is Brad Stevens (if he leaves, it would probably be to a Top-10 job). I suspect they will settle for a proven mid-major coach. While the Atlanta media is abuzz about Tubby, I'm told there is no interest on either end. It's a great long-term job with a new practice facility, new gym, Atlanta recruiting, ACC affiliation, and an exceptional AD. But I doubt Tubby would be at Tech beyond a few years.

For Tech, as was previously mentioned, hiring a 60-year-old coach is probably not the best match to rejuvenate the program (I don't think 'rebuild' is the right word here, because there will be a pretty good core of players returning, plus with Atlanta recruiting, rebuilding efforts are not nearly as much of a long-term project). His offensive sets might resemble Hewitt's too much.

For Tubby, he will have a team that is better positioned to win next year at Minnesota than at Tech. Moreover, Tech's gym is being renovated and their games will be played offsite (split between Philips Arena where the Hawks play, but also in suburban Gwinnett). It will be a tough year to be Tech coach next year, and at Tubby's age it's probably far too risky as he would probably want to win right away.

I'm sure the rumors will be flying about Tubby leaving for other ACC jobs (NC State, Miami, maybe Wake). But Tubby fans will not have to worry about him departing for ATL.

I refuse to be involved with this pi$$ing contest, so I withdraw from this competition and am gonna go be a referee at the Big Ten Tournament.

And I promise I will referee a complete game and not quit during the last few seconds of the game.

The hate on Saul on this board is a joke.A unnamed source says he is in over his head.All fueled by two of the best known members of this forum.Yeah it's all the fourth in the chain of commands fault.Make him give his salary back.Of all the Tubby bashing,some deserved this is the just plain dumb.

Ok, but don't you think it's safe to say that the entire coaching staff did a lousy job this year? This includes ol' Saul.

Ok, but don't you think it's safe to say that the entire coaching staff did a lousy job this year? This includes ol' Saul.

So did the players. Plenty of blame to go around. As for me? Screw it, I gonna have a beer and enjoy College Basketball anyway.

AJC says:

Mike Anderson, Missouri: He presides over a Top 25 program in a major conference. (And Missouri can throw money at him to stay.) But he grew up in Birmingham and coached at UAB and worked under Nolan Richardson at Arkansas, and he might have a hankering to return to the South. And I for one would love to see his full-tilt style shake up the rather staid ACC.

Scott Drew, Baylor: He coached under his famous dad Homer at Valparaiso and has worked since 2003 in Waco, where he inherited a program leveled by a scandal involving the murder of a by a former player. Last spring he took the Bears to the Elite Eight, after which he signed a 10-year extension. Not sure he’d leave for Tech, but how much longer is a coach this young (40) and skilled apt to stay in Waco?

Brian Gregory, Dayton: He doesn’t fit the definition of a Hot Young Guy. He’s 44, which isn’t that young, but he’s 167-89 in seven-plus seasons at a mid-major that takes the sport seriously, and he apprenticed under Tom Izzo at Michigan State.

Cuonzo Martin, Missouri State: Here’s your Hot Young Guy. Martin was Glenn Robinson’s wingman at Purdue when the Big Dog was the best player in college basketball. Martin played in Europe and survived non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and has become a coach of growing portfolio. He won 24 games last season at Missouri State, which as Southwest Missouri State perpetrated a memorable NCAA tournament upset of Clemson at the old Omni. Another reason to like Martin: He worked under Gene Keady at Purdue, and Keady assistants do well. Think Kevin Stallings at Vanderbilt, Bruce Weber at Illinois and now Matt Painter with the Boilermakers.

Chris Mooney, Richmond: Good young coach — he’s 38 — at another pedigreed mid-major. He played under the legendary Pete Carril at Princeton, which means, surprisingly enough, that he runs the Princeton Offense. Mooney led the Spiders to the NCAA tournament last season.

Mark Turgeon, Texas A&M: Played under Larry Brown at Kansas, coached under both Brown and Roy Williams there. Turgeon also signed a contract extension after last season, in which he took the Aggies to the NCAA tournament for the third time in three tries. Not sure he’d leave for Tech, either, unless he just wants out of College Station and into the ACC. (A&M is rumored to be bound for the SEC, which might or might not be a consideration.)

Craig Neal, New Mexico: Known as Noodles when he played at Tech, where he first served as Mark Price’s backup before becoming an outstanding point after Price departed. He has been Steve Alford’s chief assistant in Albuquerque since 2007, and last season the Lobos were 30-5 and entered the NCAA tournament as a No. 3 seed. I cannot imagine a circumstance in which Neal would not crawl to Atlanta for a chance to coach his alma mater.

Herb Sendek, Arizona State: He’s the dullest guy in the world, and he’s not a great recruiter. He left N.C. State in a snit because Wolfpack fans weren’t satisfied with five consecutive NCAA tournament appearances. There’s a chance Sendek could get fired this season. It’s not often a big-time program hires a coach who has just been canned at another school, but Sendek does have a history of winning in the ACC. He was 46-34 in league play his final five seasons at State.

I for one would not shed a tear if GT went after Tubby Smith and hired him. Tubby's National reputation was built over 16-17 years ago at Tulsa and his NC was 13 years ago at Kentucky with players recruited by Rick Pitino. If we look at what coach Smith has done in the past six years, which I think is a pretty good sample size, it is pretty telling. Has the game "passed him bye?" I cannot say that, but clearly he has not adjusted to changes in the college game. This year was particularly telling with the defensive philosophy of packing it in the lane and not giving up easy shots. Teams torched Minnesota from the 3 point line. I could also provide example of the lack of an offense in the last 5 minutes of the game, but that stuff has been discussed all over this board.

Back to my point about the last six years. IMHO, conference record is a key indicator of a coach and the state of the program. Check out these numbers. Not exactly HOF worthy.

2005-06 Kentucky 9-7
2006-07 Kentucky 9-7
2007-08 Minnesota 8-10
2008-09 Minnesota 9-9
2009-10 Minnesota 9-9
2010-11 Minnesota 6-12

I am not breaking any news here, these are the facts and we are all well aware of them. People tend to say, "Who is Minnesota going to get that is better than Tubby Smith?" I for one, think Minnesota can do better in terms of results. Tubby is a big name, he was a "home run" hire at the time. But the results have not been there. Player development seems to have lacked. Can we do better in terms of National reputation, probably not. Can we do better in terms of results? Absolutely. It seems clear based on the last 6 years that Tubby is a .500ish coach in conference play. Minnesota can get better results.

Also, according to the website I checked, Saul's salary in 2009 was just over 89K.

Tubby ain't going anywhere. Great gig here. No pressure to win and a very nice paycheck. Why give that up? I've said this many times before....

What is so appealing about Tubby these days anyways - other than his NC 13 years ago with another coach's players? Like many have said, he's 60 years old and outside of Kentucky where the name "Kentucky" recruits itself, he hasn't made any noise in almost 15 years. Who is gonna fork over $2 million/year for mediocre results? Go get a young up and comer for half the price and he will likely achieve the same (or better) results. Tubby's best days are way behind him. Let him continue to coast into retirement and ride off into the sunset....

Nice clean up

Nice thread clean up by the admins. Seems to be a bunch of "Off-Topic" comments no longer within this thread.

:D

:clap::clap::clap:

Tubby ain't going anywhere. Great gig here. No pressure to win and a very nice paycheck. Why give that up? I've said this many times before....

What is so appealing about Tubby these days anyways - other than his NC 13 years ago with another coach's players? Like many have said, he's 60 years old and outside of Kentucky where the name "Kentucky" recruits itself, he hasn't made any noise in almost 15 years. Who is gonna fork over $2 million/year for mediocre results? Go get a young up and comer for half the price and he will likely achieve the same (or better) results. Tubby's best days are way behind him. Let him continue to coast into retirement and ride off into the sunset....

Lol....what? That's the only place he has been other than here (4 years). In just-as-relevant news, Tom Izzo hasn't done anything outside of Michigan State in a long time

Lol....what? That's the only place he has been other than here (4 years). In just-as-relevant news, Tom Izzo hasn't done anything outside of Michigan State in a long time

Wow, you need to do your homework regarding Tubby's career.

Many fans of Tubby will be running rumors around like crazy that he is being considered for just about every job out there. There is a big difference in fan rumors and the people who write the checks and do the hiring.

I have serious doubts about any team that is trying to rebuild and rejuvenate it's program being hot to hire a coach that has averaged about .500 in conference wins over the past 6 years, not won a NIT or NCAA game in the past 5 years, and just coached a team to losing 10 of its last 11 games. I just do not feel that the "Tubby name" has the same appeal it did 10 years ago.

I have always thought Minn would be Tubby's last job before retirement and I stand by that.
Tubby may coach another 5 years in which he will have time to try and bounce back from this year.
I also think he is trying to groom Saul to take his place when he is ready to step down.
He needs some more time to teach Saul and build enough good will with the Minn. Athletics Dept. so that they
would consider giving him a chance when Tubby is done.

Nepotism just may suck. Ask Bob and Pat Knight.

Wow, you need to do your homework regarding Tubby's career.

See the bolded "almost 15 years" of your prior post. Now please name anywhere he has been other than Kentucky and MN in the last "almost 15 years" (for the record I am counting 13 as almost 15 so....)

Top Bottom