Here's my hope

WilliamsArenaGuy

Reaction score
A lot of people have said because we are so bad this year there is no way we could win more than maybe 6 games next year. That's just too big of a jump.

However, Clem's last team, a good team that made the tourney before the scandal came out, lost in the first round of the BTT to Illinois, the worst team in the BT. That '99 Illinois team went 3-13 in conference but had a lot of young talent. After upsetting us, they actually made it to the final of the BTT, nearly getting an absurd automatic bid.

The following year they jumped all the way to 11-5 in conference and a 4 seed in the NCAA tourney. The next year they were 13-3 and shared the conference title.

Am I expecting the Gophers to go to the finals of the BTT this year? Do I think they'll be a 4 seed in the NCAA next year? No. But could they make a big jump? Yes. This is just one example to show it's not impossible. The team will have a whole new look next year. After Nebraska I was ready to give up, but they are fun to watch again. I will remain optimistic even with the losing.

I sent my friends a text yesterday saying I was starting to love these winless bastards. I actually think they are going to be all right.

The life of a Gopher fan...

I've been following since 1964. There will always be ups and downs......deal with it people.

No one here invented complaining.

The Illini added Frank Williams in that turnaround year who went on to become a first round NBA pick. And added Brian Cook who also went on to be a number one pick in the NBA draft. So, there is that part of the story too.

I've been thinking about that 1999 Illinois team lately, too. Not as an example of what the Gophers might or will do, but as an example of a team that had trouble buying a win during the season but was obviously talented enough to make some hay when they put things together a little.

The Illini added Frank Williams in that turnaround year who went on to become a first round NBA pick. And added Brian Cook who also went on to be a number one pick in the NBA draft. So, there is that part of the story too.

Right. And we're adding a lot next year. So maybe someone will be even better than expected. And maybe they won't. That's basically my point. Just because we can't get a win this year doesn't mean there isn't the potential to get many next year.

Right. And we're adding a lot next year. So maybe someone will be even better than expected. And maybe they won't. That's basically my point. Just because we can't get a win this year doesn't mean there isn't the potential to get many next year.

Yeah. Why not us? I'm with you.

My hope is we don't go 0-19 vs. Big Ten teams this season.

First things first.

I said it but the way they have played lately and reports from practice with lynch last week make it appear possible. Fingers crossed but either way i wont quit watching or cheering for them. Go gophers!

I think Gophs will be a much better team next season. It should be noted that very connected basketball people already knew Bill Self was a extraordinary coach. Richard Pitino may prove that he is special too but he was not the first choice and has not shown that yet. If he can go 11-7 or so next year and get a 7 seed he could be on his way. Great coaches do that at minimum by year 4. Many of them win the conference by year 5.

I've seen a lot of people on here, twitter, etc. saying that it's unrealistic to make a big jump next year, and based off what's looking like a ~2-16 finish this season, we should brace ourselves for something like 7-8 B1G wins at most next year.

My question; Why? Next years team is going to be totally different, as has been rehashed over and over and over. But why does what this years final record finishes at have anything to do with next year? If they had closed out either of the Indiana games, the Purdue game, and maybe the Illinois game... somehow that would change the outlook for next years final record? If they finished 5-13 this year, it would give them the ability to jump to 11-7 next year, but 2-16 won't?

I've seen a lot of people on here, twitter, etc. saying that it's unrealistic to make a big jump next year, and based off what's looking like a ~2-16 finish this season, we should brace ourselves for something like 7-8 B1G wins at most next year.

My question; Why? Next years team is going to be totally different, as has been rehashed over and over and over. But why does what this years final record finishes at have anything to do with next year? If they had closed out either of the Indiana games, the Purdue game, and maybe the Illinois game... somehow that would change the outlook for next years final record? If they finished 5-13 this year, it would give them the ability to jump to 11-7 next year, but 2-16 won't?

Well for one, you are being optimistic in hoping for 2-16. A 5-13 team is a competitive bad team. Better than a couple teams and maybe a win or two over a decent team. 2-16 is a historically bad team, especially if their only wins are against another historically bad team (Rutgers).

Will have five guys joining the rotation next year with the 3M's Dorsey and Konate. We should be able to win eight. I could see it range from 6-10. Depending on how we close out games. Schedule should be interesting. Willing to bet we see Wiscky, Maryland, sparty and OSU twice

Well for one, you are being optimistic in hoping for 2-16. A 5-13 team is a competitive bad team. Better than a couple teams and maybe a win or two over a decent team. 2-16 is a historically bad team, especially if their only wins are against another historically bad team (Rutgers).

But that doesn't mean that adding 5 talented plays, plus improvement from the returning players, won't translate into a winning season next year.

Don't worry, we still have 2 games against Rutgers

I'm not real worried about those. Rutgers is at a different level of stink. Will be surprised and discouraged if there's not a sweep of the Scarlet Knights. Gophers will beat someone else, too, maybe even Thursday night.

One big difference between the 1999 Illini and the 2017 Gophers is Lon Kruger. He had been to 9 tournaments, including an Elite Eight and a Final Four.

Who knows, maybe Pitino will become a great coach, but Kruger was a proven winner at that point who has continued to prove it wherever he went.

Top Bottom