Here is why Coyle is delaying a decision.

Rog

Reaction score
He knows that Clays is a good coach but -

Can he recruit?
Can he fill the stadium?

Also, Coyle knows that just firing Clays and then saying "Now I have to hire a top coach that has a full coaching staff to bring along" would be next to impossible now, UNLESS
he has an understanding already with a coach yet to play a bowl game. I can only think of one and if that is possible I might go along with Coyle on that. If not, give Clay
a short contract and see what happens.

Waiting only hurts Claeys ability to recruit. It's hard to sell the program to a recruit who doesn't know if you'll be around to be the coach.

Tons of potential coaches still out there. NFL ends on Sunday and possible candidates left coaching college.

I still think Claeys will get the extension to coach into the new facilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fill the stadium....Minnesota fans aren't thrilled about paying the 2nd year of fees. Until that is removed and the program is competing with the big boys we will never have good season tickets any more regardless of the coach. I should add that when we do start competing with the Big boys, perhaps part of the fee can come back on.

If you're going to charge fees for Men's Hockey, Football, and Basketball. Then I think it is fair to charge for the woman as well. We ask for fairness and perhaps their Volleyball, hockey, and basketball teams need to start carrying a little weight. You can't be "crapping" all over the men's football team all the time, charge fees, and expect them to do it all.
The last I knew, there isn't one woman's sport carrying their weight as to paying the bills for their program.

You can

Waiting only hurts Claeys ability to recruit. It's hard to sell the program to a recruit who doesn't know if you'll be around to be the coach.

Glenn Mason once said that success in college football is 80% recruiting. But recruiting doesn't matter for Claeys. In GopherHole we are always being instructed that Tracy and his staff know how to find and coach-up the hidden gems who nobody else wants. After reading this over and over again I stopped paying attention to Gopher recruiting. Recruiting classes ranked 60th or 70th in the country every year mean nothing with a coaching staff who know how to find and coach-up players.

Glenn Mason once said that success in college football is 80% recruiting. But recruiting doesn't matter for Claeys. In GopherHole we are always being instructed that Tracy and his staff know how to find and coach-up the hidden gems who nobody else wants. After reading this over and over again I stopped paying attention to Gopher recruiting. Recruiting classes ranked 60th or 70th in the country every year mean nothing with a coaching staff who know how to find and coach-up players.
Coaching them up means you still have to find the 2 and 3 stars that can be coached up. So Mason is still right. Don't think for a minute that this staff can take anybody and coach them up. They have to "recruit" the type of high school athlete that can get in the wt. room that has the potential to develop. There is more than one way to recruit.

Coaching them up means you still have to find the 2 and 3 stars that can be coached up. So Mason is still right. Don't think for a minute that this staff can take anybody and coach them up. They have to "recruit" the type of high school athlete that can get in the wt. room that has the potential to develop. There is more than one way to recruit.

Claeys has a good record, losing only to the best teams in the league and often almost beating them (Penn St this year, e.g.). He should not be the scapegoat for all that has happened. Maybe he's not a rah-rah coach, but many big winners, including Bud Wilkinson, were quiet types. Starting over would be a huge risk. What they should do, as some here have suggested, is cut season ticket prices. Give TC a reasonable extension and see how recruiting and win/loss goes the next few years. The Mason/Brewster debacle should have taught Coyle and the rest of us what a disaster it is to fire a winning coach after a bowl game.

Huh? Mason didn't win.

He didn't say mason won that bowl game. He said he was a winning coach. I think he won more games than he lost. I'll admit I could be wrong though, not worth my time using google on it.

This is a little like saying that "Gopherhole instructs us" that the sunny side is the best side.

I think that's your attempt at sarcasm unless I read that wrong? I will say that the rankings matter for sure. However, I also thing that Claey's and staff had a pretty good strategy of trying to identify those players that the Power 5's don't think are worthy (not saying they don't have power 5 offers but they are not recruited by every power 5) and get those guys. Those are the 1/3 of all NFL players come from non-power 5 programs. I like the thought but wouldn't that be incredibly hard to predict who is going to be successful in the future? It's pretty easy to see the best athlete on the field and want that guy which is why you get those 4 and 5 star players. Overall though I think they have done a pretty good job of identifying players that were not really highly sought and made them into decent players (Still, Huff's, Cockran when he was here, etc.)

If it's purely about football, the extension is a no-brainer.

There are definitely questions with Claeys. But at the U of MN, 9 win seasons are extremely rare.
As far as recruiting goes, he has had 1 class and that class was fantastic last season.
Filling up the stadium, IMO, the ONLY way that happens at the U of MN is by winning consistently. That salesman type of stuff (Brewster or a PJ Fleck) really only works when you have success. I'm not ripping on that type of coach, I'm just saying that winning is the only thing that matters in terms of filling up the stadium.

This is a little like saying that "Gopherhole instructs us" that the sunny side is the best side.

That's really not what it is.

We have constantly outperformed our recruiting rankings. To be a Big 10 power, we need to eventually improve recruiting. But it would be extremely difficult to argue that our staff hasn't done a really good job of finding lesser recruited players.

That isn't finding the sunny side, it's a fact.

That's really not what it is.

We have constantly outperformed our recruiting rankings. To be a Big 10 power, we need to eventually improve recruiting. But it would be extremely difficult to argue that our staff hasn't done a really good job of finding lesser recruited players.

That isn't finding the sunny side, it's a fact.
I don't disagree with that at all. You completely missed what I meant. Probably my fault.

Well this part is true. They have done a good job of finding the under recruited guys. Doesn't mean they still don't need to get better at landing the highly ranked guys too.

Agreed. Most of it is finding the guys who fit the program and have good potential in the weight room and in practice to maximize that potential. Mas did it year after year with the offense, especially the OL.

Just admit you are out to get Claeys. You are just jumping on any situation you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another point: Claeys is 11-8 in his first 19 games. Between Warmath (who was also 11-8) and Claeys, only one coach did better: Gutekunst at 12-7. Kill, Brewster and Mason were 7-12, Wacker 6-13, Stoll 8-11 and Salem 8-10-1. Fesler, just before Warmath, was 6-10-3. Claeys' eight losses were to really good teams and the Gophers were in all of those games.

instead of looking at this negatively, do you think its wise to wait a few days if you intend to extend. Otherwise all the critics come out against the extension based on a bowl win and turning your back on what has happened. By first meeting and talking about "expectations", Coyle can announce an extension after he and TC met and are on the same page, which would help limit some backlash.

instead of looking at this negatively, do you think its wise to wait a few days if you intend to extend. Otherwise all the critics come out against the extension based on a bowl win and turning your back on what has happened. By first meeting and talking about "expectations", Coyle can announce an extension after he and TC met and are on the same page, which would help limit some backlash.
I think this is right on. Nice take.

I hope your take is right, but it's hard to overlook the part when Coyle and Kaler led people to believe that Claeys was in on the decision to suspend. Only way his message doesn't seem like CYA to me is if he has a replacement lined up and can't reveal it yet.

The reason Coil hasn't yet made a decision is because he hasn't yet been told what to decide.

Just think how good we would become if we had a top notch S and C program. I have absolutely no confidence in Klein. Maybe I will be proven wrong. If so, we will be traveling to a New Years bowl game.

Kaler and Coyle should be seen as being dragged around by a committee report, and expecting the Head Coach would go along. When he didn't and sided with the players it was a support for the idea of due process. Just what does that mean at the U. Did the committee seek any of the 10 to respond to the charges, with or without a lawyer? Was their testimony included in the report? That is the sticky little problem. Their due process rights were denied and that was the basis of the boycott. They should have stood together and boycotted the bowl, if these rights were important. It would seem the dollars drove the bus. Possibly a deal was in place if they ended the boycott.

If Coyle does not have a candidate for every position at the U Athletics he is not doing his job. It has been an awful year. He needs to find a Wrestling Coach, The Hockey team is just middling around, but the Football Coach is job one. Winning is the only thing. Yes, I said it. The team won 9 games, and was in the mix to win the west. If you make the change, it should be clear you will accept nothing less than a Conference Championship, and win the Big 10. Anything less, is change for the sake of change.

If you do bring in a new coach how do your really know how good he is? With the new facilities shouldn't we get better regardless of who the coach is? We know what Claeys has done here. There are a lot of unknowns.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He didn't say mason won that bowl game. He said he was a winning coach. I think he won more games than he lost. I'll admit I could be wrong though, not worth my time using google on it.

If memory serves, he lost more in the Big than he won.

Top Bottom