Henry Brooks waiting to hear from Minn, Miss. St after tearing ACL

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Miller Grove's Henry Brooks was a hot commodity until tearing the ACL in his left knee in the state quarterfinals. The 6-7 forward has an offer from Georgia Southern and is still waiting to hear back from Minnesota and Mississippi State.

"It's a tough on Henry, really tough," Miller Grove coach Sharman White said. "There is a good lesson to be learned out of this situation here for a lot of kids. Henry is a superb student [with a 3.9 GPA] and won't have a problem getting an academic scholarship, if that turns out to be the case."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school/coaching-changes-create-recruiting-886151.html

Go Gophers!!

Miller Grove's Henry Brooks was a hot commodity until tearing the ACL in his left knee in the state quarterfinals. The 6-7 forward has an offer from Georgia Southern and is still waiting to hear back from Minnesota and Mississippi State.

"It's a tough on Henry, really tough," Miller Grove coach Sharman White said. "There is a good lesson to be learned out of this situation here for a lot of kids. Henry is a superb student [with a 3.9 GPA] and won't have a problem getting an academic scholarship, if that turns out to be the case."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/high-school/coaching-changes-create-recruiting-886151.html

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the info Bleed. This is what I was asking a few days back about offering him an academic Scholarship. I don't know how it would work. Maybe he has to go to DIII for a year or two. Feel sorry for the kid. I wish him all the best. Either way, I hope he comes here. He seems to have a lot of heart.

Go Gophers

Thanks for the info Bleed. This is what I was asking a few days back about offering him an academic Scholarship. I don't know how it would work. Maybe he has to go to DIII for a year or two. Feel sorry for the kid. I wish him all the best. Either way, I hope he comes here. He seems to have a lot of heart.

Go Gophers

I would say Gophers could sign him and redshirt him for his injury, depending on who else Tubby has lined up to fill Colton's scholarship.

Really to bad for the kid to have that happen and also too bad that an injury could cause him to lose a basketball scholarship. Can't even imagine how tough that is.

Gopher or not, hope that he is able to recover from this whole situation and do well!

Wow...talk about a terrible break for the kid. Potentially his whole career affected at a terrible time for one of the worst injuries in basketball to happen. Gotta feel for him...

This is a rare situation where an NLI signed in the early period could have been very beneficial to a kid.

PS - Not trying to be rude, but no way do we bring the kid into the bball program at this point. Wish him well, though.

This is a rare situation where an NLI signed in the early period could have been very beneficial to a kid.

PS - Not trying to be rude, but no way do we bring the kid into the bball program at this point. Wish him well, though.

Being realistic is not always being rude. I agree with you.

... or maybe even just making your choice with a verbal, instead of dragging things out as some of these kids tend to do. I would think the honorable coaches would honor the verbal if you've already given the commitment, assuming that the injury is treatable.

Not saying this kid dragged things out or was looking for a better offer, but clearly some do, and I often think that they better hope they don't get hurt in the mean time.

An ACL tear isn't the death sentence it use to be. Assuming MCL or PCL isn't also torn he could be ready by the first practice.

... or maybe even just making your choice with a verbal, instead of dragging things out as some of these kids tend to do. I would think the honorable coaches would honor the verbal if you've already given the commitment, assuming that the injury is treatable.

Not saying this kid dragged things out or was looking for a better offer, but clearly some do, and I often think that they better hope they don't get hurt in the mean time.

I agree - if Brooks had received an offer and given a verbal commitment to that school, I would hope the school would still try to bring him on board despite not having a binding agreement (i.e., NLI).

An ACL tear isn't the death sentence it use to be. Assuming MCL or PCL isn't also torn he could be ready by the first practice.

Very true, he could easily be back by November. It's just the timing of the injury, given the scholarship situation, that is unfortunate.

Maybe this has already been talked about but who else are we looking at to now take Coltons scholarship... do we really see the unknown kid from transitions as a viable option?

Maybe this has already been talked about but who else are we looking at to now take Coltons scholarship... do we really see the unknown kid from transitions as a viable option?

If you believe the rumors, there is already a top recruit in line for a scholarship that will be announced on signing day (Maybe DeAndre Daniels?)

Otherwise the other recruit who had visited was Brooks.

There are also the multiple transfer here rumors.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out, but personally I think Tubby was well prepared for all of this after last year blew up in his face.

If you believe the rumors, there is already a top recruit in line for a scholarship that will be announced on signing day (Maybe DeAndre Daniels?)

Otherwise the other recruit who had visited was Brooks.

There are also the multiple transfer here rumors.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out, but personally I think Tubby was well prepared for all of this after last year blew up in his face.

DeAndre Daniels trimmed his list and is no longer considering us (not that he was strongly considering us before, if at all).

DeAndre Daniels trimmed his list and is no longer considering us (not that he was strongly considering us before, if at all).

No one ever confirmed that DeAndre was the one the rumor was about, not saying I believe it, but who knows.

Also, his "list" means nothing come signing day, especially if Tubby is trying to make it look like MN is out of it.

I do not think Daniels is coming here at all, but just saying if you believe that rumor the player in question could still, IMO, be Daniels and it very well may not be. I have no idea.

If Brooks is going to play PF, he could use a year in the weight room. You hate to see this happen to him obviously, but it could end up being a good thing. I've torn my ACL, it's far from a death sentence when you are that young. Since we already have about 6 new players next year, I'd be fine with getting a guy who will redshirt (possibly Brooks) or saving the scholarship until next year when Tubby has a full set of recruits to go after.

Brooks recruitment picked up in part (large part IMHO) due to him being available in the Spring where demand far exceeds supply. I don't think you will see a major program take him now. If you look at his stats and his game, he was kind fo a "glue guy" (think Damian Johnson) for his HS team averaging around 10 ppg I believe. Not the type of talent that you take injured and hope can return to health.

If Brooks is going to play PF, he could use a year in the weight room. You hate to see this happen to him obviously, but it could end up being a good thing. I've torn my ACL, it's far from a death sentence when you are that young. Since we already have about 6 new players next year, I'd be fine with getting a guy who will redshirt (possibly Brooks) or saving the scholarship until next year when Tubby has a full set of recruits to go after.

Brooks is very good. He's long and can block shots. He's someone that could develop into a force. Talor Battle got hurt during his senior year and a lot of schools backed off from him, except Penn State. It turned out pretty well for them. Id' rather get Brooks and possibly have him redshirt than get someone who really has no business at a D1 school.

The Gophers offered on March 5 according to Rivals. Red shirting him will be a good thing with this academically/athletically talentd kid with a lot of character & heart. People recover from torn ACLs and should not be a death sentence. I'd venture to say reaffirm the offer.

The Gophers offered on March 5 according to Rivals. Red shirting him will be a good thing with this academically/athletically talentd kid with a lot of character & heart. People recover from torn ACLs and should not be a death sentence. I'd venture to say reaffirm the offer.

If a site really gives a March 5 date, it's not even close to correct.

Regardless, there are tons of possibilities with regard to kids to bring into the program.. you don't turn up the recruiting heat on a kid who tore his ACL at the end of his senior year. Good luck, Mr. Brooks

Brooks is very good. He's long and can block shots. He's someone that could develop into a force. Talor Battle got hurt during his senior year and a lot of schools backed off from him, except Penn State. It turned out pretty well for them. Id' rather get Brooks and possibly have him redshirt than get someone who really has no business at a D1 school.

I completely agree. His team was full of good players as well. He could easily have had flashier stats if he played for a different team.

If we end up with an open schoarlship or two in July/August as happened this year, I hope we will still offer him. I'd rather have a talented redshirt than another last-minute grab.

Just to be clear: I think it would be borderline insane for us to give the kid a scholarship at this point in time.

Just to be clear: I think it would be borderline insane for us to give the kid a scholarship at this point in time.

While I get that you wouldn't offer it to him over someone who can help you now, why is it insane? Is his injury any more sever than Moe Walker's for example? If he can redshirt without harming depth, I don't see why it would be a terrible move unless you have reason to think he's not going to recover.

While I get that you wouldn't offer it to him over someone who can help you now, why is it insane? Is his injury any more sever than Moe Walker's for example? If he can redshirt without harming depth, I don't see why it would be a terrible move unless you have reason to think he's not going to recover.

You never know how guys heal from an ACL injury, some are never the same.

Even a late-grab would be less of a risk (although less reward probably as well) than Brooks is.

I seriously feel bad for the kid and hope that he is able to still succeed, but for MN to offer now is probably unreasonable. I can think of very few situations where you offer.

I think his best option is to grab a D1 scholarship if he can, ASAP, and get free school at least or look for a JC option to prove he has healed and ready to play D1 again.

Es I think it is a harder recovery than Month Walkers, but he also does not weight 300 lbs. I doubt we offer him without a very good understanding of the injury and surgery.
y

Yes. A torn ACL is worse than a torn PCL, which is what Mo had. Having said that, I wouldn't be mad if we offer him unless his injury is a Shaun Livingston or Willis McGahee type severity or if there is truly a better option. We got lucky with Chip, but I wouldn't be all that thrilled if we offer someone who is barely even being recruited by D1 schools. Mbakwe tore his ACL and word has it he's still pretty athletic. If there aren't better options maybe he's worth the risk.

Having said that, I wouldn't be mad if we offer him unless his injury is a Shaun Livingston or Willis McGahee type severity or if there is truly a better option. We got lucky with Chip, but I wouldn't be all that thrilled if we offer someone who is barely even being recruited by D1 schools. Mbakwe tore his ACL and word has it he's still pretty athletic. If there aren't better options maybe he's worth the risk.

1) I'd be irate if we brought Brooks in on scholarship.
2) I don't see us as having got lucky with Chip.
3) When did Mbakwe tear his ACL?
4) There are better options.
5) Sorry, it's been a long day and a trying life. Coffee time, bro.

1) I'd be irate if we brought Brooks in on scholarship.
2) I don't see us as having got lucky with Chip.
3) When did Mbakwe tear his ACL?
4) There are better options.
5) Sorry, it's been a long day and a trying life. Coffee time, bro.

My bad, I remember hearing that Mbakwe tore his ACL his freshman year, but maybe it turned out that wasn't the case and I never got my facts straight. About Brooks though, I didn't say we should offer him. I just said I wouldn't be mad if we did IF there are no better options. I've never seen Brooks play, so I have no idea how good he is. Is he a mid-major talent who only got high-major interest because he's a spring recruit? I have no idea, but if that's the case, obviously it would be a bad idea to offer him after a torn ACL. I just don't want us to offer someone who is barely good enough to play D1 out of desperation. Maybe it'd be a good idea to hold onto Colt's scholarship until next year unless the staff has someone in mind who they truly think can help the team. A big-time transfer sure would be nice.

Regarding Chip, he needs to improve defensively, but I think he has the potential to be a very good offensive player in the Big Ten if he sticks around. Given what my expectations were for him when he initially committed I consider that lucky. If you disagree that's fine, but that's my opinion.

Sounds like Brooks comitted to Penn though. Good for him and good for them. Hopefully he has a full recovery and has a good career there.

Top Bottom