Henderson's academics

Looks like SH is not qualified yet, but appears to be on the right track. Kind of surprising seeing that he goes to a private school.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_14166524

I remember one of his coaches stating that he was a great kid, great athlete, and a student that needed to focus more. Kind of sounds like many high schoolers I know. I heard much worse concerns regarding Rodney Williams at this time last year and he pleasantly surprised us.

That is sad that he hasn't qualified yet considering he has had every advantage possible.

More proof that private schools are not the great academic institutions people think they are and the kids are not any better students.

I don't see how this is any reflection on the school. I went to a good private college. I know other athletes who failed out or didn't do so hot. Doesn't make the college worse, it means the students didn't get it done.

I actually prefer when recruits come from public HS's, because private High schools create huge egos and the players can cut way more corners without getting caught.

All I'm saying is that some people think private schools have better students, and that is completely untrue. Private schools are not any better academically than public schools.
________
Intruder

I'm not sure I could disagree more with that. Night and day.

Private schools should and do have better students because they are free to pick and choose which students can enroll, while public schools have to take everybody. Some, not all, private schools offer advanced programs that some high schools do not. All this means is that you can get a better education from a private school if they offer more challenging courses than those available at the public school. A private school also doesn't need to spend resources on students that have trouble participating because of either mental or social handicaps.

Ding ding ding. WAGopher hit it on the head. Private schools have the best of both worlds, they can take the students they want, with the added bonus of not having to be accountable to any state testing standards.

Wow, did this thread get tangential. At any rate, Henderson would do well to get qualified.

All I'm saying is that some people think private schools have better students, and that is completely untrue. Private schools are not any better academically than public schools.

It all depends on the school. Anyone making gross generalizations one way or the other is asking to be made to look foolish.

Actually.

What makes private school better than public schools is the teachers are able to teach because adminstrators are able to get rid of students who show they do not want to be there by their actions or inactions.

We made the decision to send my son to private school (1st Breck then CDH) because he was born with a severe speech impediment that would require speech therapy for 10 years. He needed the smaller class atmosphere (10-12 opposed to 20-30) and size of a private school.

Coach Scanlan said last summer in an interview that SH needed to focus on his academics. Say what you want about Scanlan but academics come first with him. More importantly he and the school will provide the plethora of resources they have to the students.

I will share this, coming out of his junior season my son also had some academic work to accomplish. We sat down with Mr. Scanlan and formulated a plan to get my son where he needed to be by signing date (1st wed of Feb). In the case of my son I decided that he should commit during the summer to remove all the presures and intrusions of being recruited so that he could focus on his academics.

He spent his senior year focusing on his academics. He didn't worry about what position he was playing (RR), stats/performance or being recruited. He put everthing he had in working with the academic folks at school and improving his scores. He qualified in December (two months ahead of schedule) of his senior year and spent the 2nd half of his senior year enjoying his friends before they all went to college. College? He will graduate this spring (In 4-years) and be in grad school during his senior (5th) season of football.

The downside was that once he comitted he started dropping in the all the rankings(he slid to 41st among CB's). Lemming had told me this would happen and strongly encouraged my son to wait. Once he committed Lemming removed him from consideration for All-American game. He also dropped in the state rankings from 2nd to 4th or 5th.

I don't know SH's situation but I do know that CDH has and will do everything they can to get the big fella ready academicly for college. The question is did he do what was/is needed?:cool02:

You can get rid of students who don't want to learn in a public school, too. Have you not heard
of Area Learning Centers? It's just that adminstrators love to torture teachers. Just kidding, but they
don't like to lose the state money, and they don't like to catch hell from parents.

I find this interesting as SH MUST realize that he needs to qualify academically! Right? So what is the deal here. Is he not as gifted in academics as he is on the playing field? Or maybe a bit lazy, unmotivated or possibly not very cerebral. Who knows, maybe he will ace the ACT and life will go on for him.

One would think with all the hoopla and a great situation for SH to cherry pick his school and a very promising future, he would have his ducks in a row by now.

Top Bottom