Help me understand these weird blitzes or something we do

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
Our defense is pretty good, I don't want to complain too much.

But we do this thing on defense where:

1. The play starts....

2. A moment or two passes where the play develops.

3. Then a linebacker (I think occasionally a DB) looks like they blitz at end of the line.

4. They take a huge outside looping run around the edge... and sort of drag the blocker with them.

However:

They're so far outside and often eventually behind the QB that they couldn't possibly get to the QB AND ... they're not even holding the edge. And it happens SO LATE that the opposing QB really doesn't seem to have to worry about it / is passing before they would ever get to them anyway...

What is that? Is that meant to just "keep the OL honest" / wonder if we're going to do that? Are they really there to protect against the run and if it doesn't happen they go for the QB? It doesn't seem to do anything directly ...

Our defense is pretty good, I don't want to complain too much.

But we do this thing on defense where:

1. The play starts....

2. A moment or two passes where the play develops.

3. Then a linebacker (I think occasionally a DB) looks like they blitz at end of the line.

4. They take a huge outside looping run around the edge... and sort of drag the blocker with them.

However:

They're so far outside and often eventually behind the QB that they couldn't possibly get to the QB AND ... they're not even holding the edge. And it happens SO LATE that the opposing QB really doesn't seem to have to worry about it / is passing before they would ever get to them anyway...

What is that? Is that meant to just "keep the OL honest" / wonder if we're going to do that? Are they really there to protect against the run and if it doesn't happen they go for the QB? It doesn't seem to do anything directly ...
I was just assuming it wasn't scheme and that our players were just really bad at timing blitzes.

I saw Koi Perich loop around wide and get to the QB too late on a play. It isn't a scheme I'm aware of, that was a lack of execution or timing.

I thought we blitzed too much early against UCLA and didn't have success until we stopped and were more unpredictable in coverage and blitz.

There is a strategy of delayed blitzes. It sometimes can be that a LB or safety is covering the RB 1 on 1 and if they see the RB is blocking another blitzing player, they can decide to then rush the QB.

I don't know if that is what is happening in those situations or not.

There is a strategy of delayed blitzes. It sometimes can be that a LB or safety is covering the RB 1 on 1 and if they see the RB is blocking another blitzing player, they can decide to then rush the QB.

I don't know if that is what is happening in those situations or not.
Either way, they are not working.

Top Bottom