Help me decide: Purdue or Ohio State?

ergopher

Reaction score
I had planned on going to the Iowa game, but as my car broke down I wasn't able to go. That said, I was able to cancel my hotel reservation and had not paid for my tickets yet so I have been thinking of possibly flying to one of the two remaining Gopher road games as a replacement. As I have not been to either venue, which would you all suggest? I'm currently split as they both have their pros and cons in my book.

Last edited:

Do you care about the outcome? I’ve never been to Columbus, but have been to West Lafayette twice. There is nothing impressive about WL or the stadium or the atmosphere. All road games are fun, but Purdue is at the bottom of my rankings. I suspect (again, never been) that Columbus would be better in all those categories. We will get smoked tho.

Do you care about the outcome? I’ve never been to Columbus, but have been to West Lafayette twice. There is nothing impressive about WL or the stadium or the atmosphere. All road games are fun, but Purdue is at the bottom of my rankings. I suspect (again, never been) that Columbus would be better in all those categories. We will get smoked tho.
Agree with everything stated here about both WL and the game

Yep....Columbus over West Lafayette and it isn't even close in terms of environment.

I had planned on going to the Iowa game, but as my car broke down I wasn't able to go. That said, I was able to cancel my hotel reservation and had not paid for my tickets yet so I have been thinking of possibly flying to one of the two remaining Gopher road games as a replacement. As I have not been to either venue, which would you all suggest? I'm currently split as they both have their pros and cons in my book.
If you want to look and feel like what it is like to go to an SEC football game, and what College football crazed fans look like go to Columbus. Also attend the Skull session by the Ohio State band in there Volleyball arena, I did in 2001 and I never forgot it. I was waving a Gopher flag out our rented Yukon sun roof pre game. Removed the pole prior to entering the Shoe so I could bring in my M flag. I Still have that M flag, it is very faded and wind worn. We were really low row 3 I think but the Ohio State band was to our right next section over. I was holding up my M flag and Brutus squirted me with a super soaker in the face. I said why don't you come squirt My M flag a little closer. Then the OSU band started jeering me and chanting A-hole. I had to stand up and say I was out of line and let him hit me with the Squirt gun again, cause I was only joking. It was a blast. All in good fun. I forgot the name of the Ribbs place we went to after the game but Buckeyes fans bought our group of Gopher fans a round of beers. Pretty gracious after a loss. Buckeyes fans were pretty good to us about town and wished us a great time. It did help that the weather was Sunny and very warm for November, hell we had to take sweatshirts off even. When OSU got close, the stadium decks and concrete were shaking from the noise it was so loud, the crowd in the stadium not the canned music, what a crowd roar. Cole and Ron Johnson would not be denied that day. The only thing that sucked was a week later Gophers laid egg in the next game cause Coach Mason seemed like he quit knowing Cooper was getting fired. Still have that laminated game stub in a memorabilia album along with pictures of the day. You cherish those rare memory's cause winning in the Horse Shoe is tough even when your team plays it's best game. They are full of NFL talent, even not great teams, that knowing full well OSU is going to score points. There athletes are so good you have hog the ball and keep it out of that offenses hands. It was a great game plan that day for the Gophers and the athletes earned that win. There was a gentlemen that played for Ohio State sitting by us that was in his 90's that had played against Leo Nomelini of the Gophers as an Olineman. He could not stop talking about how strong Leo the Lion was and how he took over the game they played against the Gophers. That was another great memory. He had really old OSU letterman sweater, so don't think he was B'sing us about playing in that game.

Last edited:

If you want to see the Gophers play with a chance at a road victory, pick Purdue.
If you want to see the incredible spectacle of Helmet School football, and don't mind seeing a game Gopher squad hold on in the first half than get crushed to pumice in the second half (as relative depth comes into play), pick Ohio State. Adjust your expectations in advance, depending on venue.

Checked Happy Valley off the college stadium bucket list for the white out last year. Pumped for the Horseshoe this year!

If you want to look and feel like what it is like to go to an SEC football game, and what College football crazed fans look like go to Columbus. Also attend the Skull session by the Ohio State band in there Volleyball arena, I did in 2001 and I never forgot it. I was waving a Gopher flag out our rented Yukon sun roof pre game. Removed the pole prior to entering the Shoe so I could bring in my M flag. I Still have that M flag, it is very faded and wind worn. We were really low row 3 I think but the Ohio State band was to our right next section over. I was holding up my M flag and Brutus squirted me with a super soaker in the face. I said why don't you come squirt My M flag a little closer. Then the OSU band started jeering me and chanting A-hole. I had to stand up and say I was out of line and let him hit me with the Squirt gun again, cause I was only joking. It was a blast. All in good fun. I forgot the name of the Ribbs place we went to after the game but Buckeyes fans bought our group of Gopher fans a round of beers. Pretty gracious after a loss. Buckeyes fans were pretty good to us about town and wished us a great time. It did help that the weather was Sunny and very warm for November, hell we had to take sweatshirts off even. When OSU got close, the stadium decks and concrete were shaking from the noise it was so loud, the crowd in the stadium not the canned music, what a crowd roar. Cole and Ron Johnson would not be denied that day. The only thing that sucked was a week later Gophers laid egg in the next game cause Coach Mason seemed like he quit knowing Cooper was getting fired. Still have that laminated game stub in a memorabilia album along with pictures of the day. You cherish those rare memory's cause winning in the Horse Shoe is tough even when your team plays it's best game. They are full of NFL talent, even not great teams, that knowing full well OSU is going to score points. There athletes are so good you have hog the ball and keep it out of that offenses hands. It was a great game plan that day for the Gophers and the athletes earned that win. There was a gentlemen that played for Ohio State sitting by us that was in his 90's that had played against Leo Nomelini of the Gophers as an Olineman. He could not stop talking about how strong Leo the Lion was and how he took over the game they played against the Gophers. That was another great memory. He had really old OSU letterman sweater, so don't think he was B'sing us about playing in that game.
Check your ticket stub. Gophers won in 2000 at the shoe. My son and I sat with the Alumni where we met a lineman from the Gopher team that last won in the shoe in 1949!

If you pick OSU, you’re doing it for yourself.

If you want to support the Gophers, and actually see them in a fair legitimate game that they can win, you will pick Purdue.

Went to Ohio St in 2009 and followed up with Vikings at Pittsburgh game next day. Decker dropped a pass in the first half and was close until second half. The seats were really high up for the non parents visitor section. Went to Penn St last year. So many people and crazy atmospheres. Hope its a 3:30 or a night game.

My dad and I are likely taking creative charters to Purdue this year as we know someone who is a sr at Purdue this year and get to knock another stadium off the list. Illinois, Nebraska, Michigans, Maryland, Rutgers and Indiana left.

Should be great whatever you decide.

Went to Ohio St in 2009 and followed up with Vikings at Pittsburgh game next day. Decker dropped a pass in the first half and was close until second half. The seats were really high up for the non parents visitor section. Went to Penn St last year. So many people and crazy atmospheres. Hope its a 3:30 or a night game.

My dad and I are likely taking creative charters to Purdue this year as we know someone who is a sr at Purdue this year and get to knock another stadium off the list. Illinois, Nebraska, Michigans, Maryland, Rutgers and Indiana left.

Should be great whatever you decide.
I highly recommend Steve and his wife (Dorothy?) if you want a turn key experience. Creative Charters

The only downside is if you wanted to do some exploring. My guess is Purdue would be perfect. Don't know if there is much to do in or around West Lafayette. You can even get a game ticket for an additional fee through them. That is assuming that there are tickets available.

Go to Ohio State for the total experience
Yep, go to the horseshoe get beer thrown in your face. Been there, don’t need to go again. Plus you only have 18 inch seats. Be ready to stand the whole game. Purdue - the most beautiful campus in the B1G. Will go again.

Check your ticket stub. Gophers won in 2000 at the shoe. My son and I sat with the Alumni where we met a lineman from the Gopher team that last won in the shoe in 1949!
It was 2000, yikes(getting old). Were you in the section down below by the OSU band or that next section of Gopher fans to the left over in the end zone practically on the field? Did you guy's go to Heinygate or the Skull Session? I remember the lineman from the Gopher team that last won in the shoe in 1949(Huge hands) , same with OSU gentleman with the lettermans sweater pre-game who said he played in 1949 game, kept talking about Leo Nomelini. I have the ticket stub laminated in a photo album of that day with the pictures but I don't look at it very often. Lack of space is right, and when your down really low almost by the field it is really hard to see the game action at times. Never felt a stadium concrete shake like that game. We had some dudes throw shaken up full cans of beers at us when we passed by Fraternity's walking back, and some Frat dudes tried to spray our group with a water hose. It was hot that day. They had a cool one way set up to drive in and out of there and it was a long walk from parking to the Horseshoe. Brutus kept having the band heckle me cause of my Gopher M flag. We stayed in Cincinnati on Thursday, relatives(flew in that airport in KY). First time I ever saw fans walking around with full cases of beer and open containers and the Cops didn't say squat. Stayed at a Motel 6(Ugh) where they tried to not give us our room because we got in late(Called ahead). Worst beds ever. last time I have ever slummed at a dump hotel like that but the room rates were ridiculous even for 2000 for 2 nights. It was the last time I went to Columbus, had a relative pass since that time that was with us. Don't know if I want to go back without him apart of it.

I have been to West Layfette with Creative Charters 3 times, 2 fly in charters on game day and 1 stay. That was also a fun experience(They take care of all the details) except Gophers lost the 2 fly in game days. I don't know if I would go to Purdue any other way except Creative, because it is harder to book your own trip there. If you want to see the Gophers have a shot at winning, and listen to the Boiler Up on the score board, and sit high up in the End zone this is your jam. Seems like WL would be a pain in the arse to drive to with the miles of cornfields that are in that part of Indiana.

Last edited:

It was also October, not November as gopherdudepart2 indicated. It was Ray Christensen’s last season calling Gopher football and he finally got to call a Gopher win at the Horseshoe.

It was also October, not November as gopherdudepart2 indicated. It was Ray Christensen’s last season calling Gopher football and he finally got to call a Gopher win at the Horseshoe.
Yep 10/14/2000. I didn't get to hear Ray on the Radio but I imagine that was big deal. I was in Columbus in person, just bad memory of the dates, been on several road trips over the years and drank quite a bit of beer that afternoon and evening. We didn't have cell phones, so no video of me having Brutus soaking me in the face with the Super soaker gun from field level but there were witnesses.
You win two times against Ohio State in 50 years you keep the ticket stub and you laminate it even if that is a weird thing to do. I haven't brought that photo album out in over 20 years because a buddy that was close was on that trip and passed in 2003. He was the glue that got us all to travel to Gopher road games. We bought our tickets through the Gopher ticket office, as season ticket holders. I know I got the date wrong in the original post but I was at the game. OSU was having a down season and there fans absolutely hated John Cooper that was for sure, everyone around town was bitching about the coach. Loudest stadium roar I have ever heard, the Big House you sit so high as a visitor near the scoreboard that it is a lot harder to hear the crowd so it is not nearly as loud as the Shoe. I should have remembered this because 2001 the Baylor game was cancelled because of 911. That and that God awful call in Overtime in Purdue where our receiver #7 caught a touchdown in bounds and the referee called him out because of the two toned space of green and the White out of bounds play in the Dome. 2001 was a bad year with a lot of bad losses, that and the alternating debacle of QB's between Travis Cole and AAK.

Last edited:

Top Bottom