Helmet stickers unveiled

Not a fan of stickers, but it seems they have a good approach here. Can earn a sticker and can lose a sticker...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That is about as boring as you can get with a sticker. I like them.

There is a fella who sits in section 214, around row 8 or so that deserves at least one of these.

There is a fella who sits in section 214, around row 8 or so that deserves at least one of these.
YES. 100% agree. Guy is the biggest Gopher fan I know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GREAT. HOW WILL I KNOW IF IT IS THE GOPHERS THAT ARE PLAYING IF THERE ARE STICKERS ON THEIR HELMETS?!?!

“Almost all of them are things that helped the team win,” said Claeys. “Against Oregon State, Tyler (Johnson) make a block that helped get Mitch into the end zone.”

Players can earn stickers throughout the season, but the competitive Claeys said they can also lose them as well.

“If they make a critical error during a game, they lose a brick,” he said. “It’s not an all-good and forget the bad. It’s a little bit of a process, but it is important to play well. You are not going to get rewarded if you made a bunch of mistakes.”

Awesome I really like the approach! Sticker is boring but it seems to fit the staff's style.

Those are unimaginative and look overly large, and if someone earns a lot of them they're going to smother his helmet. Once again, like the Jerry Kill tribute sticker last season, the U needs an experienced graphic designer to bring some creativity and style into the process...think Georgia's dog bones, Florida State's tomahawk and Ohio State's buckeye leaf.

I'm fine with the bricks, fit's the overall philosophy of one brick at a time. I hope they are not too big, but I'm assuming they did some mock-ups using a bunch of stickers to check the size.

per ESPN: Gophers push players to achieve the 'Gold Standard'

The Minnesota Golden Gophers football coaching staff is holding its players to the "Gold Standard."

The team debuted helmet stickers in Week 2 against Indiana State reserved for excellent and winning plays, labeled with the words Gold Standard. Players, according to a release from the school, can earn them for wins, touchdowns and other superlative plays. Players wearing stickers against Indiana State received them off a 30-23 win over Oregon State in Week 1.

"We want to reward kids who make plays that help the team win a football game," head coach Tracy Claeys said. "As the staff is grading film they write down the plays for kids who they think helped us win and give them to me. Then I go back and watch those plays."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...serving-players-gold-standard-helmet-stickers

Go Gophers!!

So are the sticker colors reversed for the maroon helmets? Claeys said "almost all of them are things to help the team win" what does "almost" mean here?

So are the sticker colors reversed for the maroon helmets? Claeys said "almost all of them are things to help the team win" what does "almost" mean here?

Maybe you get a sticker for hitting some high academic marks too or something.

Something that isn't direct, but is important.

I'd like them to be bricks. If a player gets enough, he can build a wall!

So Poock probably earned and then lost his in the opener...:)

I wonder if the exception to the "plays that help the team win the game rule" might be record book performances. Carpenter's three field goals, of more than 40 yds, was something never done before in a Gopher game. I wonder if it would have gotten a brick if it had occurred in a loss?

Frankly, I'd rather see this on the maroon lids.

MN_helmet_brick_tambland_meta.0.png

So if a player gets a sticker, the training staff needs to put one on each colored helmet, right? (maroon, gold, white, black helmets)

I htink the words are dumb. A simple brick outline would have been fine.

You also get one for saying "no" to gang-bangs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about not getting benched for a good performance. Maybe even start a game if you do really good. Oh, that's right, it's all about positive affirmations.

Personally, I feel the stickers on helmets should be reserved for team victories in games played.

Game changing performances, earned individual performance stickers or awards are great too. They belong somewhere in the football complex.

What about earning stickers for academic excellence and citizenship? The kids should recognized for their hard work off the playing field.

The size of the brick sticker they showed - are they going to run out of room on the helmet? They should be much smaller and maroon on gold helmets/gold on maroon helmets.

I htink the words are dumb. A simple brick outline would have been fine.

I agree 100%. The words are stupid. The stickers should be a little smaller and look like a brick! The corners also shouldn't be rounded. Bricks don't have rounded corners. They look like a grade school kid designed them. I think this is what the kids now days call an epic fail. They can get the texture of a brick on the jerseys, you'd think they could on a fricken sticker too. Brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about not getting benched for a good performance. Maybe even start a game if you do really good. Oh, that's right, it's all about positive affirmations.

Yea, other helmet schools like Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan State, etc... would never do such a silly thing. It all starts from that generation of players that expect immediate rewards for just doing their job as a part of the team.... in the 1960's.... a player Like Dick Butkus would punch you in the face if you tried to give him a sticker!

IMG_0069.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea, other helmet schools like Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan State, etc... would never do such a silly thing. It all starts from that generation of players that expect immediate rewards for just doing their job as a part of the team.... in the 1960's.... a player Like Dick Butkus would punch you in the face if you tried to give him a sticker!

View attachment 4423

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Achey, are you suggesting we’re a helmet school?

Glad they are understated and not huge, not a fan of the "Gold Standard" slogan on them.

Top Bottom