Helmet Schools

DarrenTheGreek

Gov. Victory Bell Ringer
Reaction score
In another thread someone mentioned that in order to be considered a "helmet school", one must win a national championship. So it got me thinking at what point does a former national champion lose their "helmet school" status. Throwing this out there for discussion purposes. Here are the schools that have won a national title since 1960, the most recent year they won it, the total number of times they have won it in the last 53 years and whether I would consider them a "helmet school". The only reason I chose 1960 is because it was the last time the Gophers won it. Note: I'm only including national champions from "major" services. (e.g. BCS, AP, UPI/Coaches)

Alabama, 2012, 9, YES
Auburn, 2012, 1, YES* (asterisk put here because the controversy around Cam Newton has many discounting whether this was legit or not)
Florida, 2008, 3, YES
LSU, 2007, 2, YES
Texas, 2005, 3, YES
USC, 2004, 5, YES
Ohio State, 2002, 2, YES
Miami, 2001, 5, NO
Oklahoma, 2000, 4, YES
Florida State, 1999, 2, YES
Tennessee, 1998, 1, NO
Michigan, 1997, 1, YES
Nebraska, 1997, 5, YES
Washington, 1991, 1, NO
Colorado, 1990, 1, NO
Georgia Tech, 1990, 1, NO
Notre Dame, 1988, 4, YES
Penn State, 1986, 2, YES
BYU, 1984, 1, NO
Clemson, 1981, 1, NO
Georgia, 1980, 1, NO
Pitt, 1976, 1, NO
Michigan State, 1965, 1, NO
Minnesota, 1960, 1, NO

Now what does this say? It says that after approximately 10-20 years that the "luster" of a national championship begins to wear off a program. Miami probably lost their "helmet school" status recently because they haven't been much of a factor in recent years but it could certainly be debatable. Same with Tennessee. Michigan and Nebraska retain their "helmet school" status largely because of their tradition. Nebraska has won multiple national titles in this period and Michigan still has the reputation of being the most winning D1 program in history. Notre Dame and Penn State have gone over 25 years now without a title but probably retain their status (debatable) because of their history of contending for several decades. Washington, Colorado, GTech, BYU, Clemson, Georgia, Pitt, MSU and Minnesota just haven't been consistent enough to warrant the ranking of "helmet school".

So...
Strong helmet school: Alabama, Florida, LSU, Texas, USC, Ohio State (all have won in the last decade)
Borderline helmet school: Auburn, Miami, Oklahoma, Florida State, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Penn State
Not a helmet school: Tennessee, Washington, Colorado, GTech, BYU, Clemson, Georgia, Pitt, MSU, Minnesota

The one program not to win a national championship that I would argue is close to attaining "helmet school" status is Oregon. If they can win one, they'll get that status for at least a decade.

when they've had a 15-40 year drought of relevancy...

Penn State YES but Miami NO? You're only flaw in this, the Hurricanes are DEFINITELY a helmet school. PSU, no way..

Flip Miami and Auburn and your list is perfect.

I don't think you need recent title to be a helmet school. Michigan didn't win one from 1949 to 1997 and they were a helmet school every year in between. I think you can take the term 'helmet school' literally, how recognizable is your helmet. Stop 100 guys on the street and ask them to write the name of the team next to each helmet. The implication is that everything is easier for them, be it filling a stadium, enticing a recruit, or drawing eyeballs on Saturday. In that sense Oregon might be considered a helmet school. I'm not sure why you need a different definition.

I don't think you need a national title to be a helmet school. I think you just need to be recognizable. Oregon doesn't have title, but I would argue they're a helmet school now based on hype around them. To me helmet schools are the ones high school football players recognize the most on a national level. Basically they're national brand like Coke or McDonalds.

I'd have to say Clemson is a definite "Yes," too.

Id say Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan, OSU, Notre Dame, Penn St, Alabama, Penn St, Tennessee and USC are all strong helmet schools. And it would take practically decades of not just losing but bad losing for them to ever lose that status. Id say FSU, Miami, Florida, LSU, UCLA, A&M, Clemsen ,and Georgia are all practically on the same tier although id rank the first 4 higher than the second 4.

I don't think you need a national title to be a helmet school. I think you just need to be recognizable. Oregon doesn't have title, but I would argue they're a helmet school now based on hype around them. To me helmet schools are the ones high school football players recognize the most on a national level. Basically they're national brand like Coke or McDonalds.

+1
might be at the top of the list for most recognizable to today's kids!

The reason the national title was a criteria is that the poster tried to argue (or at lest imply) that Wisconsin is not a helmet school but Minnesota is.

The thing to remember about this list is the only people whose perception matters are the 17 and 19 year olds being recruited.

Top Bottom