Hello from North Dakota. First post (little nervous)

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
I am a Gopher fan living in an area surrounded by NDSU Bison fans. Followed the team since Jim Wacker was coach. I LOVE what Coach Kill and staff have done with the program. The games are fun to watch too.

Good first post and welcome!! Keep representing the maroon and gold in ND!

Love Coach Kill as well!

Let your gopher freak flag fly up there!

Well, hello West Fargo. We have both sides of the Red River covered. Moorhead here. Welcome to GopherHole.

There are a LOT more of we Gopher fans in the F-M area than people think or realize. Just hard to hear or notice them over the noise machine coming from the north end of town and the local media wearing their cheerleading outfits. Don't let those local spin-controllers with the collective Napoleonic complex cloud your thinking - and obviously clear judgement. Just remind them what has happened in last 120 days . . . their HCs from both programs left for Laramie, WY and Athens, OH - both in themselves considered "stepping stone" jobs.

Sit back and ruminate (we are in ND, after all . . . :) . . . ) on that for a moment . . . . Wyoming and Ohio. I am not stating that as a condescension to either of those programs. Quite the contrary, in fact.

That makes those coaching positions and, by extraction, both programs "stepping stones to other stepping stones".

Keep showing your Gopher pride and ignore the saber-rattling and mindless, myopic, mumblings coming from the sycophants of the local team - one of the Banana Republics of the college sports world.

There are a LOT more of we Gopher fans in the F-M area than people think or realize. Just hard to hear or notice them over the noise machine coming from the north end of town and the local media wearing their cheerleading outfits. Don't let those local spin-controllers with the collective Napoleonic complex cloud your thinking - and obviously clear judgement. Just remind them what has happened in last 120 days . . . their HCs from both programs left for Laramie, WY and Athens, OH - both in themselves considered "stepping stone" jobs.

Sit back and ruminate (we are in ND, after all . . . :) . . . ) on that for a moment . . . . Wyoming and Ohio. I am not stating that as a condescension to either of those programs. Quite the contrary, in fact.

That makes those coaching positions and, by extraction, both programs "stepping stones to other stepping stones".

Keep showing your Gopher pride and ignore the saber-rattling and mindless, myopic, mumblings coming from the sycophants of the local team - one of the Banana Republics of the college sports world.

Is that where the expression "Leave no stone upturned" came from?

this stuff is so stupid to me. That's like me saying 'hey I'm a Twins fan surrounded by all these St Paul Saints fans'. NDSU is a lower level. Shoot you can be fans of both since they don't really live in the same realm. Yea they beat us a while back but who cares? Michigan isn't obsessed with App St and Florida won't be obsessed with Georgia Southern. Yea I know they're D1 now or FBS or whatever its called now but its still different. You can be a fan of Illinois and NIU or Bradley at the same time. If someone chooses to only cheer for NDSU then they're the ones choosing to focus on a lower level team and miss out on the awesomeness that is watching big time FB and BB in the B10

I think it's awesome: some of our best posters on this board live in "enemy territory".

Also a first time poster living in Fargo....have viewed GH for many years.....appreciate all of the insight and love for the maroon and gold. 1984 graduate....moved up here in 2006 from the Cities and try and get back to a few games per year. Glad to hear there are a few of us here...Dr Don, have always enjoyed your comments....soon there will be a scotch ordered on your behalf....

this stuff is so stupid to me. That's like me saying 'hey I'm a Twins fan surrounded by all these St Paul Saints fans'. NDSU is a lower level. Shoot you can be fans of both since they don't really live in the same realm. Yea they beat us a while back but who cares? Michigan isn't obsessed with App St and Florida won't be obsessed with Georgia Southern. Yea I know they're D1 now or FBS or whatever its called now but its still different. You can be a fan of Illinois and NIU or Bradley at the same time. If someone chooses to only cheer for NDSU then they're the ones choosing to focus on a lower level team and miss out on the awesomeness that is watching big time FB and BB in the B10

Normally I would agree with you oleboy but when all fall you show up to work and all you hear about is NDSU's amazing team, and how they beat the Gophers twice, are so much better and deserve so much to be in the Big Ten or Big 12 it gets to be a little much. I really doubt that any player, coach, or fan that lives far enough away from Fargo would ever consider NDSU to be a "rival" but when you hear the stuff I (maybe we) hear things change a bit.

I used to cheer for NDSU like you said, but too much cockiness from coworkers has led me to a place where I am starting to hope they lose every time they take the field.

I suppose we can all pretend that NDSU football is not relavant regionally and nationally, but the historic 3 year run of 43-2, with associated tv, media, rankings, etc, etc . . . even at the DI FCS level would tend to disagree with that. I know that Gopher fans have a hard time appreciating anything Bison football, but Bison fans will still root for MN on Saturdays. This distaste is one-way, not both. That kinda tells the whole story.

It's like a Fighting Whioux fan.

Go Gophers!!

The Bison Mascot is named Thundar. I hope UND picks a school nickname. As The THUNDAR. That will really make $ hit flow on the Red River of the North.

Hey West Fargo Gopher Fan -
What Hi-lites are they running now over and over and over again at the Bison Store at Sheels?
My guess is SU's win over Oklahoma!!

I suppose we can all pretend that NDSU football is not relavant regionally and nationally, but the historic 3 year run of 43-2, with associated tv, media, rankings, etc, etc . . . even at the DI FCS level would tend to disagree with that. I know that Gopher fans have a hard time appreciating anything Bison football, but Bison fans will still root for MN on Saturdays. This distaste is one-way, not both. That kinda tells the whole story.

You are full of sh*t!

Spending my last 5 days here in Fargo as I will be graduating from Concordia on Sunday! Good experience living here but the wind and cold are to much for me.

Spending my last 5 days here in Fargo as I will be graduating from Concordia on Sunday! Good experience living here but the wind and cold are to much for me.

What? And move back to Minneapolis where you'll probably get stabbed!

Normally I would agree with you oleboy but when all fall you show up to work and all you hear about is NDSU's amazing team, and how they beat the Gophers twice, are so much better and deserve so much to be in the Big Ten or Big 12 it gets to be a little much. I really doubt that any player, coach, or fan that lives far enough away from Fargo would ever consider NDSU to be a "rival" but when you hear the stuff I (maybe we) hear things change a bit.

I used to cheer for NDSU like you said, but too much cockiness from coworkers has led me to a place where I am starting to hope they lose every time they take the field.

Jamestown resident here and this couldn't be more spot on

Top Bottom