Head Coach Pipedream

Reaction score
Since we're all throwing out names that are more than likely not going to happen, how about a former OC, recruiting coordinator and head coach.
Brian Billick!

Don't hate it. He's an arrogant *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# with the initials B.B., but that seems to fly in the upper midwest.

Bud Foster, D Coor., VA Tech

Guy can flat-out coach.

It's not that Crazy. (See what I did there?)

It's important to note that Billick is out of a job because he was fired. Not so for other former Super Bowl-winning coaches (Cowher, Dungy, Holmgren, J. Johnson, etc.) Gruden is another, but I think it's safe to say he's more highly respected and sought-after than Billick.

You're right, though - small chance he would ever come here (or even be considered, for that matter).

Hohensee

Hohensee would be a pipedream. I doubt we'd be able to offer him enough money to come here.

It's not that Crazy. (See what I did there?)

It's important to note that Billick is out of a job because he was fired. Not so for other former Super Bowl-winning coaches (Cowher, Dungy, Holmgren, J. Johnson, etc.) Gruden is another, but I think it's safe to say he's more highly respected and sought-after than Billick.

You're right, though - small chance he would ever come here (or even be considered, for that matter).

So was Mike Shanahan. Does that mean either are bad coaches? Sometimes 10 years in a place is enough and there's a need to change direction. It worked out for Baltimore. It's not working out as well for Denver or Tampa. Neither is an indication that the coach suddenly forgot how to do his job.

So was Mike Shanahan. Does that mean either are bad coaches? Sometimes 10 years in a place is enough and there's a need to change direction. It worked out for Baltimore. It's not working out as well for Denver or Tampa. Neither is an indication that the coach suddenly forgot how to do his job.

That's not even what I meant though. I wasn't trying to imply that he isn't a good coach anymore. What I meant was that guys like Dungy, Cowher, and Holmgren left on their own terms. If they want to get back into coaching, they don't have to explain away the reasons why they were fired. This is a good thing for the Gophers, in that guys like Billick and Gruden, while still held in high regard by most, might be seen as "damaged goods" by some (rightly or wrongly), and that could force them to take a job "below their grade" (i.e., the Gophers) if they want to get back on the horse.

That's not even what I meant though. I wasn't trying to imply that he isn't a good coach anymore. What I meant was that guys like Dungy, Cowher, and Holmgren left on their own terms. If they want to get back into coaching, they don't have to explain away the reasons why they were fired. This is a good thing for the Gophers, in that guys like Billick and Gruden, while still held in high regard by most, might be seen as "damaged goods" by some (rightly or wrongly), and that could force them to take a job "below their grade" (i.e., the Gophers) if they want to get back on the horse.

This might be true. I haven't heard Billick rumored for other jobs as much as the others on the list, but that could well be because he's not interested. Like Gruden, he seems happy with his media gigs. As I said, the guy is a bit of an arrogant prick and that may also be the reason why no one is sniffing around him. But the Gophers could do a lot worse, I'm afraid.

Top Bottom