Hate to ask, but what if.......

HoustonTXGopher

Reaction score
that team to the east were to win their next three games? They play at Michigan State at Michigan and return home to host Ohio State, that is the number 8, 4 and 2 ranked teams in the country! Would you rank them number one in the country if they get through this part of the schedule unscathed? I can't wait till we play them and beat them at the end of the year, regardless of their record.

They would be #2 behind Alabama. Also monkeys would fly out of my ass.

that team to the east were to win their next three games? They play at Michigan State at Michigan and return home to host Ohio State, that is the number 8, 4 and 2 ranked teams in the country! Would you rank them number one in the country if they get through this part of the schedule unscathed? I can't wait till we play them and beat them at the end of the year, regardless of their record.

I personally would rank them #200, but likely the people with an actual vote would have them at #2.

Alabama would need to lose a game in that stretch. On the bright side, The Gophs win on the road to end the season would be even more satisfying...

Wisconsin is facing at least one epic blowout in the next three weeks.

It would be 11 beating 9, 6 beating 4, and 4 beating 2 or 3. They would get a lot of votes for #1, but Alabama or the undefeated Clemson-Louisville winner would probably need to lose.

And the monkey thing probably. They'll be touchdown dogs in all three games.

Then they would have earned it... good for them.

I'd rather they not but that would be epic.

This is an easy one. If you really hate to ask, and you should, then don't.

It would be 11 beating 9, 6 beating 4, and 4 beating 2 or 3. They would get a lot of votes for #1, but Alabama or the undefeated Clemson-Louisville winner would probably need to lose.

And the monkey thing probably. They'll be touchdown dogs in all three games.

Only +3 or +4 vs Ohio State last I saw, but that was before the tOSU dismantled Oklahoma. Spread might be closer to 10 for the Michigan game and likely will only be +4 or +5 vs Michigan State.

They would be absolutely #1. However after losing all 3, they will be only a footnote on the season, "By the way, they did beat LSU to start the season..."

Questionable at QB. Sheriff Bart was replaced at halftime with a RS freshman. Clements will probably miss this game and who knows with a ankle injury on the next two. I see them going 0-3, but I also think the Gophers would go 0-3 with that schedule. I think by the time the Gophers meet the Badgers they will be pretty equal if injuries don't take a toll.

The next 5 games for UW are @MSU, @UM, vsOSU, @Iowa, vsNEB. I see a best case scenario of 3-2, with 2-3 being much more likely.

If UW goes 5-0 in this stretch they may still be behind Alabama, but they sure as hell would be receiving a ton of votes for #1.

Needless to say, this is probably not something to worry about.

Since we have a Hate to ask thread... and what if...

We go 8-5 and are likely losing our LB coach/recruiter and we are headed for a bottom of Big 10 class, does the AD look for a new coach? PJ Fleck potentially.

We go 8-5 and are likely losing our LB coach/recruiter and we are headed for a bottom of Big 10 class, does the AD look for a new coach? PJ Fleck potentially.

Claeys will not be let go at 8-5. He'd need to be under .500 again for us to consider.

Even if we were shopping for a new coach (which I highly doubt will happen), what are the chances we could land a top coaching prospect like Fleck?

No. When was the last time a first year coach had a winning record in the big ten? I say that because I am assuming in your scenario we lose the bowl game to get to 8-5

No. When was the last time a first year coach had a winning record in the big ten? I say that because I am assuming in your scenario we lose the bowl game to get to 8-5

Good point. B1G coaches who have been at their school for at least 1 year, and their first season records:

Urban - OSU - 8-0
Harbaugh - Mich - 6-2
Chryst - UW - 6-2
Dantonio - MSU - 3-5
Riley - Neb - 3-5
Fitz - Northwestern - 2-6
Franklin - PSU - 2-6
Ferentz - Iowa - 0-8
Wilson - Indiana - 0-8
Hazell - Purdue - 0-8

1st year:
Lovie Smith - Illinois
Durkin - Maryland
Ash - Rutgers
Claeys - Minnesota

Other than Urban, Harbaugh and Chryst not a lot of success in Year 1. Obviously each school is in a different situation when a new coach comes in, but quite a battle to have big success in the first year.

The next 5 games for UW are @MSU, @UM, vsOSU, @Iowa, vsNEB. I see a best case scenario of 3-2, with 2-3 being much more likely.

If UW goes 5-0 in this stretch they may still be behind Alabama, but they sure as hell would be receiving a ton of votes for #1.

Needless to say, this is probably not something to worry about.

If I had to bet one side or the other I would say 0-5 is more likely than 5-0. I chicken hex the Badgers whenever I watch them on TV so no way they are going 5-0. :party: (that's my chicken hex emoticon)

Id tip my hat to them.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Good point. B1G coaches who have been at their school for at least 1 year, and their first season records:

Urban - OSU - 8-0
Harbaugh - Mich - 6-2
Chryst - UW - 6-2
Dantonio - MSU - 3-5
Riley - Neb - 3-5
Fitz - Northwestern - 2-6
Franklin - PSU - 2-6
Ferentz - Iowa - 0-8
Wilson - Indiana - 0-8
Hazell - Purdue - 0-8

1st year:
Lovie Smith - Illinois
Durkin - Maryland
Ash - Rutgers
Claeys - Minnesota

Other than Urban, Harbaugh and Chryst not a lot of success in Year 1. Obviously each school is in a different situation when a new coach comes in, but quite a battle to have big success in the first year.

None of those were promoted to HC. Claeys is not in his first year.

I'm not advocating. Just curious to what others thought. I like Claeys as our coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of those were promoted to HC. Claeys is not in his first year.

I'm not advocating. Just curious to what others thought. I like Claeys as our coach.

Danny Hope was promoted at Purdue and went 4-4 in his first year (2009). That's the only promoted coach I could think of in recent history off the top of my head.

Danny Hope was promoted at Purdue and went 4-4 in his first year (2009). That's the only promoted coach I could think of in recent history off the top of my head.

Good call. I think Luke Fickell was promoted to HC at Ohio State when Tressel resigned. He may have only had the interim label for the one year, but he went 3-5 before Meyer took over.

Um, that was an impressive beat down of the Spartans by Becky today. They just cracked the top 10, 2 more wins and they will be ranked number one. Yuck

Top Bottom