Hasn't anybody considered the track record thus far?

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Tattooed Millionaire
Reaction score
For all of those who are pessimistic about who Brew will bring on for either coordinator, what about his track record in this area in a short period of time?

He managed to land Dunbar, and while Dunbar may have turned out to not be a great fit, landing someone with his credentials was a tremendous get.

Whithers, well, it's tough to say how good or bad he could have been with a few years. Incomplete.

Roof was an incredible hire, resurrected the defense from dead last in D-1, he just left for a higher profile job with a massive pay raise.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I'm actually going to trust Brewster in his efforts to fill these two spots. He hasn't given me any reason to doubt that he'll land somebody that will do a good job.

Agreed. This guy has a knack for the dramatic and seems to always get a lot of what he wants (ie- the 2008 recruiting class after a 1-11 record). I have no doubt we will be very pleased with the OC. Jury is still out about the DC........... not sure about Cosgrove.

For all of those who are pessimistic about who Brew will bring on for either coordinator, what about his track record in this area in a short period of time?

He managed to land Dunbar, and while Dunbar may have turned out to not be a great fit, landing someone with his credentials was a tremendous get.

Whithers, well, it's tough to say how good or bad he could have been with a few years. Incomplete.

Roof was an incredible hire, resurrected the defense from dead last in D-1, he just left for a higher profile job with a massive pay raise.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I'm actually going to trust Brewster in his efforts to fill these two spots. He hasn't given me any reason to doubt that he'll land somebody that will do a good job.

Credentials? If Dunbar was worthy of those credentials, Cal would not have let him left. Many have said that Tedford was the offensive coordinator and took over calling plays. Nice run at Northwestern but remember how "weird" the Wildcat offense was? Now most teams are doing the same thing. So I don't think that's a "plus" for Brewster. Minus 1 for Brew.

Withers was praised as a football genius when he was hired and he had the worst defense in the country. Minus 2 for Brew.

Roof was a very good hire, but once his defenses stopped creating turnovers, it looked like old times. 55 points and the worst Big Ten beatdown in school history. Reesing broke the school record for consecutive completions. A back up quarterback rushed for over 200 yards on his defense when it was clear he couldn't throw the ball. Plus, Roof was hired with no ties to northern football or to this state or to this university...a one and done is no surprise. Push for Brew.

He has a good track record of hiring guys who don't want to be here or he doesn't want to be here.

Neither our offense nor defense has been outstanding, mediocre is even a stretch.

Bad track record.

Does everyone on this board wake up on the wrong side of the bed every day? Seriously, why can't you be optimistic for once? Dunbar may not have worked out for the Gophs, but anyone that says he wasn't thought to be one of the top coordinators in the country when he was hired is crazy. Everybody loved when this guy was hired. I wish we could go back to the posts from when Whithers was hired...everybody loved this hire too. an NFL DB coach who had one of the best D's in the NFL? So he couldn't simplify the D enough for the college game...how is Brew supposed to know that when he makes the hire? The guy had a great track record. Roof was also a great hire. Anyone who says that is delusional. Although we stumbled near the end, I don't think that had as much to do with Roof's coaching rather than the players running out of gas due to the lack of depth.

While the 3 of them didn't work out how Brew planned necessarily, he has earned the right for me to trust he will make a good hire. Give Brew time, he'll be fine. The world wasn't built in a day, and restoring the Gopher program won't be either. He deserves at least 4 years before he can be judged accurately. If you want to judge progress, then fine. If you do that, he's coming along more than nicely as far as I'm concerned.

Generally consider myself an optimist more than a negative Nelly, but what's going on in the program to me has "red flag" written all over it. It's not like Brew has been here a long time. All this stuff, the lack of continuity, in just the 2nd year? I take these as ominous signs. In the end, they may not be, but I'm certainly not encouraged with the revolving doors and getting rid of your assistants (the ones you hired) at first whim.

"I take these as ominous signs. In the end, they may not be, but I'm certainly not encouraged with the revolving doors and getting rid of your assistants (the ones you hired) at first whim."

I'm with you on this one Hodger, though I think you've oversimplified it a bit. As I understand, the only two who you can say Brew got rid of would be Phil Meyer and Mike Dunbar. I think everyone agreed that some changes needed to be made on offense after our struggles in the second half to get ANYTHING going. The DC losses are different. I don't know the ins and outs of Withers leaving, but he left to go to North Carolina, which seemed to be his choice. Roof, similarly and even more clearly than Withers, left on his own accord.

The general point you're making about high turnover is well taken. As of next year, there will be six coordinator-years on the Brewster watch filled by five different people. That type of disconnect can't be good for building the program.

Generally consider myself an optimist more than a negative Nelly, but what's going on in the program to me has "red flag" written all over it. It's not like Brew has been here a long time. All this stuff, the lack of continuity, in just the 2nd year? I take these as ominous signs. In the end, they may not be, but I'm certainly not encouraged with the revolving doors and getting rid of your assistants (the ones you hired) at first whim.

I think what we have to consider is that Brew was never a head coach before. There are many things you could say to this, but the point I want to make is that he didn't have any coaches follow him from another school. Essentially every hire was new. There was bound to be some fall out. More than you would see in most cases.

Not only that, but he didn't know the dynamics that would emerge from his coaching style as he had no history to draw off of. There was bound to be some poor fits regardless of how things looked on paper.

But the point I think we need to hang onto, which was already mentioned is that Brewster has faced every bit of adversity as if it were an opportunity. He has improved the coaching staff and team with each change. I can't see why this would be any different. We'll probably be OK with the outcome of this adversity as well.

Does everyone on this board wake up on the wrong side of the bed every day? Seriously, why can't you be optimistic for once? Dunbar may not have worked out for the Gophs, but anyone that says he wasn't thought to be one of the top coordinators in the country when he was hired is crazy. Everybody loved when this guy was hired. I wish we could go back to the posts from when Whithers was hired...everybody loved this hire too. an NFL DB coach who had one of the best D's in the NFL? So he couldn't simplify the D enough for the college game...how is Brew supposed to know that when he makes the hire? The guy had a great track record. Roof was also a great hire. Anyone who says that is delusional. Although we stumbled near the end, I don't think that had as much to do with Roof's coaching rather than the players running out of gas due to the lack of depth.

Well if the hires and the response to the hires from the fans we're off the charts (fueled a lot by the Brewster gushing over them...best coaching staff in the country, etc., etc)....when they fail, who's that on? Dunbar and Meyer were busts....Withers was abysmal in his one year and then performed great in his first year at UNC....Roof was a one-and-done which could've/should've been anticipated if he had any success in 08.

And if the talk of Cosgrove is accurate....we don't have to worry about the fans overreacting positively like they did with Withers. Since no one wants Cosgrove here, he will likely turn out to be a star. We shall see.

Basically it comes down to this....he will be on his second offensive coordinator and third defensive coordinator in three years. In NO WAY can that be spun as a great track record under any circumstance.

I've been waiting patiently for years three and four and we're just a few months away before I will judge the Brew hiring.

While the 3 of them didn't work out how Brew planned necessarily, he has earned the right for me to trust he will make a good hire. Give Brew time, he'll be fine. The world wasn't built in a day, and restoring the Gopher program won't be either. He deserves at least 4 years before he can be judged accurately. If you want to judge progress, then fine. If you do that, he's coming along more than nicely as far as I'm concerned.

Brewster could hire Kevin McHale and Matt Millen and the lemmings on this board would love both of them. Maybe Brewster could start a new reality show and pick people from this message board to be his coordinators?!?!

USS INDIANAPOLIS (CA 35)

Ogee Oglethorpe,

1. Can you spell Lusitania? How about HMS HOOD? How about USS INDIANAPOLIS (CA 35)?

2. We doubled and tripled the salaries of their predecessors under Glen Mason and now we lost 3 coordinators in 24 months to show for it. Why is that?

3. Y'all hated Glen Mason but then you only paid David Lockwood some $140,000 / year, if that. Why don't you quit trying to put lipstick on pigs?

4. Lift the toilet seat, bend over, and inhale deeply. What do you smell? Wake up!

5. I sure hope I am dead wrong!

SKI-U-MAH!
P.S. Good thing we fired that Gordy Shaw guy!

Ogee Oglethorpe,

1. Can you spell Lusitania? How about HMS HOOD? How about USS INDIANAPOLIS (CA 35)?

2. We doubled and tripled the salaries of their predecessors under Glen Mason and now we lost 3 coordinators in 24 months to show for it. Why is that?

3. Y'all hated Glen Mason but then you only paid David Lockwood some $140,000 / year, if that. Why don't you quit trying to put lipstick on pigs?

4. Lift the toilet seat, bend over, and inhale deeply. What do you smell? Wake up!

5. I sure hope I am dead wrong!

SKI-U-MAH!
P.S. Good thing we fired that Gordy Shaw guy!

1. :confused:
2. Roof was making $350,000. He is now making at least $500,000. Some coordinators are now making $1M (maybe more).
3. Mason kept the money for himself.
4. I smell a rat.
5. Time will tell.

Gordy was not a good fit.

Top Bottom