Has any one not seen this article?

Rog

Reaction score
The Nation's #1 Recruit Would Mean To Gophers Football by Kristopher Fiecke Kristopher Fiecke
Featured Columnist

Written on January 10, 2010 While many Gophers fans tuned into Saturday's U.S. Army All-American game to get a glimpse at Gopher recruit Jimmy Gjere, a four-star offensive tackle, undoubtedly most fans were tuning in to get a look at the nation's #1 overall recruit, Seantrel Henderson.

Henderson has starred for the storied Cretin-Derham Hall football program since he was a sophomore. His combination of size, power and skill has had college programs clamoring to earn the young man's services for years and most certainly, NFL scouts are already well aware of Henderson's attributes.

Henderson holds scholarship offers from nearly every major college program in the country. Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, Oklahoma. The list goes on and on. With all those options, why would Henderson even consider playing for his hometown squad?

The answer is simple. While fame and fortune are in the cards for Henderson whereever he goes, only one program affords him the opportunity to attain legendary status: The University of Minnesota.

In Minnesota, we're very provincial. We love anyone who's "one of us". Sure, you can migrate here and garner some success for yourself and we'll adopt you, but deep down, we'll always know that you see greener pastures outside our borders.

Case in point: Mr. Joe Mauer. Mauer shares a common bond with Henderson in that they are both products of St. Paul's Cretin High School. While the local media pined for the Twins to select Mark Prior with the #1 overall pick in the 2001 MLB amateur draft, the Twins selected the local boy instead.

At first glance, the Twins made a mistake. Mauer started in the minors while Prior was starting for the Cubs by May of 2002. In 2003, Prior and the Cubs were a game away from returning to the World Series (no, it wasn't Bartman's fault) while Mauer was still in the minors. It sure looked the the Twins front office had erred.

Mauer made his major league debut the following season. Injuries ended his rookie year after about a month. It didn't look good.

In 2006 Joe Mauer officially arrived. He won his first batting title. He made the All-Star game. It just got better from there. Today, Joe Mauer is the reigning MVP and a three-time batting champ. Mark Prior is out of baseball.

It wasn't Joe Mauer's choice to stay in Minnesota, but it definitely has been to his benefit. Right now, he's King in this town. Mauer's buddy Justin Morneau also has an MVP award on his mantel, but he can't quite catch up in popularity to the hometown hero. As long as Mauer stays a Twin, this will be his town. That's the way it is around here.

Which brings us back to Seantrel Henderson. Being an offensive lineman will never be a glamour position. Everyone loves the quarterbacks, wide receivers and running backs. You'll even see the occasional defensive back featured in the highlights. But never the offensive lineman.

It takes a special, special lineman to have the media spotlight shine brightly upon him. Tony Mandarich and his eating habits made him famous in the late 80s. Orlando Pace and his "pancake" blocks dominated ESPN in the 90s. There's been a void and it's time for a new star to shine.

That star is Seantrel Henderson. He can be a star at USC. He can be a star at Notre Dame. He can be a star in Montana. But he can only become a legend by staying at home.

The Gopher football program has been stagnant for years. Imagine the accolades that would come for someone who finally helped make this team a championship contender again. Kirby Puckett has street named after him and he's from Chicago. They might change the name of the state if Henderson helps the Gophers back to the Rose Bowl.

It takes more than one player to elevate a team, but everyone knows that it all starts up front. A good line makes a quarterback better. It makes a runningback better. If Barry Sanders ran behind the Cowboys line of the 90s, it would be his name atop the career rushing leaders, not Emmitt Smith.

If you'd have asked me 12 months ago where Henderson would have ended up, I'd have said USC. 12 weeks ago, same answer. 12 hours ago, I changed my mind. USC's coach is leaving for the NFL. Henderson stated that decision will impact his decision.

Do I think he'll end up at Minnesota? Probably not. If I was the type of guy who made wagers, I'd bet Henderson ends up either at Ohio State or Notre Dame. He's said that basketball is his first love on several occasions, maybe Tubby Smith finds a spot for him.

If Seantrel has ever taken the drive down to Mankato to watch the Vikings training camp, maybe he veered off 169 and headed down Highway 19. There you'll find a sign that says "Henderson, Minnesota". Those two sound awfully good together if you ask me. Something to think about, Seantrel.

Great article. It would be awesome for the Minnesota program, staff, and fan base.

Best sports article written by a Minnesota journalist in the last 12 months. I'm presuming this is not a star tribune writer because it's infinitely better then any article written by those "journalists". It's not emotional, it's not slanted, there's no hidden messages, just solid writing. And it seems like there is some home town pride - but it's toned down. Refreshing.

Shama is pretty good too.

I thought Shama was the best in town, but this article is more extended and thoughtful. Shama has been consistently the best writer. I'll rank the pioneer press third - tied with some outstate newspaper articles with the Tribune pulling up the rear.

In Minnesota, we're very provincial. We love anyone who's "one of us". Sure, you can migrate here and garner some success for yourself and we'll adopt you, but deep down, we'll always know that you see greener pastures outside our borders.

Misuse of the word provincial. Otherwise it seems accurate. It is impossible for people to be both provincial and aknowledge that there are often greener pastures elsewhere. That's just not what the word means.

Also, the fact that a guy becomes bigger by making an impact at home isn't really unique to Minnesota (as he suggests). And this phenomena shouldn't be that surprising to anyone at this point. North Caroina is in love with Michael Jordan and Julius Peppers. USC loves its California QBs. New York loves their NY politicians. The examples are endless. There is just something about being a leader in one's own environment that leverages a person's effect.

very nice article

and the reason I think Minnesota does have a shot at him. I think Seantrel is a level headed grounded guy and that family and state are important to him and the legend status may be important to him. I don't know our percentages but I do know without Tim Brewster our percentages would be Zero. Stay at home Seantrel, we need you and want to be behind you (as do Gray and Lipscomb)

Yeah, he'd become a legend playing offensive line on a .500 team in the Insight bowl. His only chance at legendary status is in the minds of delusional Gopher homers that believe they ever had a shot at him.

I'm a delusional gopher fan who doesn't think we ever had a legitimate shot at Seantrel, but I think they theory is that with guys like Seantrel, we might be a bit better than .500, he probably figured that most readers have a fully functioning brain and would be able to make that simple deduction.

Here's a link to the actual article. Check out the well-thought out comment by "Dan Adams".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/323434-what-the-nations-1-recruit-would-mean-to-gophers-football

Some of us remember Dan for the glowing review he wrote about TCF after it opened.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/260477-tcf-bank-stadium-lousy-atmosphere-awesome

I can't see Dan's comment, maybe it has to do with my viewing on a Mac. However his TCF article was as bad an article that I've ever seen.

Great work!!!

Thanks for the super writing. I could not have said it better myself!!!

Very impressive!!

I really liked the Henderson, Minnesota connection. I too have been to Henderson, Minnesota!!

Yeah, he'd become a legend playing offensive line on a .500 team in the Insight bowl. His only chance at legendary status is in the minds of delusional Gopher homers that believe they ever had a shot at him.

Did your mother beat you as a child?

I can't see Dan's comment, maybe it has to do with my viewing on a Mac. However his TCF article was as bad an article that I've ever seen.

I'm hesitant to post this because it's mostly, strike that, it's all trash. But here's Dan Adams comment:

For the record, no Gophers fans tuned into the game to watch Henderson. No fans care about Gophers football, none of them tuned in to watch the team play Iowa State, why in the world would they tune in to watch a hometown kid that has "zero" chance of going to the U. It would be the biggest mistake of the young man's life to decide on the Gophers. I love the team and my school but no one cares. Brewster is a terrible coach and Maturi needs to be looking for someone else immediately. On ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown, Adam Schefter mentioned that Jedd Fisch would be looking to work with Jay Cutler and could be gone. Another offensive coordinator out and another dreaded offensive season ahead. Henderson should be looking SEC and that would be the smartest move.

He may be a hometown kid but remember this. Joe Mauer committed to Florida State. Ryan Harris committed to Notre Dame. Michael Floyd committed to Notre Dame. Cretin knows what's going on over their at the Bierman practice facility and it's this. Absolutely no improvement. It has continued for the last decade.

Here's a link to the actual article. Check out the well-thought out comment by "Dan Adams".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/323434-what-the-nations-1-recruit-would-mean-to-gophers-football

Some of us remember Dan for the glowing review he wrote about TCF after it opened.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/260477-tcf-bank-stadium-lousy-atmosphere-awesome

That Dan Adams guy sounds like a total tool. Not surprisingly, a cursory glance at his Facebook profile and pictures would confirm the same description.

That Dan Adams guy sounds like a total tool. Not surprisingly, a cursory glance at his Facebook profile and pictures would confirm the same description.

His profile essentiallys says that he wants to smell Paul Allen's butt. So, we know the poor guy's brain is melting becuase he listens to the morons on KFAN all day.

I'm a delusional gopher fan who doesn't think we ever had a legitimate shot at Seantrel, but I think they theory is that with guys like Seantrel, we might be a bit better than .500, he probably figured that most readers have a fully functioning brain and would be able to make that simple deduction.

Yes a big dope offensive linemen who's going to struggle academically is really going to turn this team around.

Our offense is a joke. No QB worth mentioning, terrible receivers, rest of the line is a mess.

But with Seantrel, Rose Bowl or bust! HA!

Guys like Seantrel? GuyS? We can't get Seantrel, much less guys LIKE him. Great with all 22 starters top flight high level recruits we would be above .500. Too bad we won't get ONE of them, much less 22.

Yes a big dope offensive linemen who's going to struggle academically is really going to turn this team around.

Our offense is a joke. No QB worth mentioning, terrible receivers, rest of the line is a mess.

But with Seantrel, Rose Bowl or bust! HA!

Guys like Seantrel? GuyS? We can't get Seantrel, much less guys LIKE him. Great with all 22 starters top flight high level recruits we would be above .500. Too bad we won't get ONE of them, much less 22.

And there's our little ray of sunshine for the day....

Why such a sourpuss, Demi? Ashton finally grow tired of your wrinkled up lady parts?

All Seantrel needs to know is that the REAL Gopher fans would love to have him playing in front of his hometown family and friends!

The article is no longer factual, as Seantrel isn't the #1 player in the country anymore.

Top Bottom