Harbaugh's Salary

Duluthguy

Reaction score
Anyone know what Harbaugh's salary at Stanford is? All I could find after brief checking is that in 2009 his base was $750,000 and talk that year about raising it to $1.25 million drove many out there nuts - thought it was way too much at the wrong time. I also saw one chart, not sure of the date, that showed him way down the ladder in terms of PAC 10 salaries. Sounds like if nothing else, we just might be able to afford him.

I have three doubts about this.

1. If there is any chance that the Michigan job might be available after this season, he will at least pass on us (already discussed ad nauseam, i know)

2. While there are folks who complained about his salary being upped, yes. But there are also a ton of rich influential Stanford alums who are really pumped about Stanford football because of him. Nobody has really seen the full power of the Stanford athletic boosters when it comes to football. If they ever get it in their heads that football is more important than their seemingly dozens of other amazing athletic programs, Harbaugh wouldn't dare go anywhere else.

3. By the time we are able to talk to Harbaugh, there will certainly be some other job openings at other schools, and those could potentially outbid us. Just a thought, but if JoePa retires, and PSU decides (unlikely as it seems) they want him.... what (other than Michigan) could possibly stop him from going there?

I don't thnk Harbaugh will come here because he will end up at a bigger program and he knows that. However, I don't really expect that program to be Michigan. He had a huge falling out with the entire Michigan football program and even attacked some of the sacred cows (Carr and Schembechler), questioned the integrity of the football program and really upset almost all of their football family.

1. If there is any chance that the Michigan job might be available after this season, he will at least pass on us (already discussed ad nauseam, i know)

It seems pretty ironclad that Harbaugh has about as much chance of being Michigan's head coach as Jim Tressel does.

If anything, I'd say the whole Michigan kerfuffle gives us (and all the other Big Ten schools) more of a chance at hiring Harbaugh, not less.

I don't thnk Harbaugh will come here because he will end up at a bigger program and he knows that. However, I don't really expect that program to be Michigan. He had a huge falling out with the entire Michigan football program and even attacked some of the sacred cows (Carr and Schembechler), questioned the integrity of the football program and really upset almost all of their football family.
To add to that, a few days ago Harbaugh was quoted as saying this on ESPN radio... "There's nothing wrong with Michigan football. It's alive and well in East Lansing"

I have three doubts about this.

2. While there are folks who complained about his salary being upped, yes. But there are also a ton of rich influential Stanford alums who are really pumped about Stanford football because of him. Nobody has really seen the full power of the Stanford athletic boosters when it comes to football. If they ever get it in their heads that football is more important than their seemingly dozens of other amazing athletic programs, Harbaugh wouldn't dare go anywhere else.

3. By the time we are able to talk to Harbaugh, there will certainly be some other job openings at other schools, and those could potentially outbid us. Just a thought, but if JoePa retires, and PSU decides (unlikely as it seems) they want him.... what (other than Michigan) could possibly stop him from going there?

Since we are using or will be using a firm they can contact him now and no one should know about it.

that is target #1.

Offer him $3M/yr and get him here now! $4M with incentives.

He would get a yearly chance to take the Jug from Michigan.

GM

Stanford is a private school so they don't release salary information. They said on the radio the other day that he's rumored to make something like 1.5 million. He just signed an extension. I'd love to get him, but he'd be smarter staying right where he is. Already at a BCS school, they are a top 10 team and USC won't be good for a while. I think he's a real long shot.

It depends on what he is looking for. I don't think Minnesota is the best opportunity that Harbaugh will have presented to him but I don't think that Stanford will be the best place for him to stay either.

Stanford is a tough school to get more than 2 million per out of. I expect his salary to get right about at that range at it's peak. It's not that they don't have influential boosters and all that, it is more the culture of sports at Stanford. There are numerous articles online from Stanford people (prof and the academic instuition) that already question the amount of money that Harbaugh is receiving. They are academically similar to U of Chicago and the Ivy's and they tend to treat athletics completely differently than even the best academic schools from BCS conferences (and Notre Dame). I don't think the day will come that Harbaugh makes 4 million at Stanford.

Additionally, I think Stanford is a tough place to win at a really level at a constant rate. I think the program will likely continue to be strong under Harbaugh, but it's hard to get a ton of athletes in to the school and be a nat'l power (year in and year out). It is entirely concievable that Harbaugh would sprinkle in some mediocore seasons and in this day and age in college football there will be some other new "it" coach to be the envy of the power programs looking for a coach.

So my opinion is that Harbaugh will leave Stanford, but i'm not certain it will be for Michigan. I kind of have a feeling it will be at Penn St.

Additionally, I think Stanford is a tough place to win at a really level at a constant rate. I think the program will likely continue to be strong under Harbaugh, but it's hard to get a ton of athletes in to the school and be a nat'l power (year in and year out). It is entirely concievable that Harbaugh would sprinkle in some mediocore seasons and in this day and age in college football there will be some other new "it" coach to be the envy of the power programs looking for a coach.

So my opinion is that Harbaugh will leave Stanford, but i'm not certain it will be for Michigan. I kind of have a feeling it will be at Penn St.

Do Stanford's academic standards for athletes differ that much from Notre Dame, UCLA and Cal? If Harbaugh makes it his goal to lock down the kids that Notre Dame, ect. are used to getting I am not so sure he wouldn't be able to win consistently.

Supposedly, they are much more stingent that UCLA and Cal. The whole debacle with Michigan was him calling Michigan players "not student athletes" compared to the guys at Stanford, and Michigan is one of the better academic schools in the country (probably on level or better than UCLA or Cal when comparing the academic standards for athletes).

I think they are probably pretty similar to Notre Dame, which is why I think even good coaches at Notre Dame will have seasons of mediocrity sprinkled into their tenures.

Do Stanford's academic standards for athletes differ that much from Notre Dame, UCLA and Cal? If Harbaugh makes it his goal to lock down the kids that Notre Dame, ect. are used to getting I am not so sure he wouldn't be able to win consistently.

Stanford's academic requirements are more difficult. There are plenty of players at Notre Dame, Cal, etc, that could not get into Stanford.

In past I have heard/read that the real difference between Stanford and Cal is that Cal can get JUCO kids with a 2 year degree into school much easier than Stanford, which from an Admin standpoint has frowned on such practices.

At Stanford, you actually have to get past admissions, which are the same for athletes and students, before you can get a full scholarship offer. Pretty much all other school just worry about the NCAA requirements and then deal with admissions after the kids signs.

Just say "no"

Why? He's my personal #1 choice at this point, but am willing to be talked out of it if there's something I don't know about him. I have a fairly good grasp of the situation and can't come up with anything that is a red flag with him.

Cal and UCLA are excellent public universities, just like all the schools in the Big Ten (except NW of course). Stanford is one of the elite private academic institutions in the world, up there with the Harvard's and Yale's and MIT's of the world. Whole different animal. If you're going to Stanford, you're already damned smart.

I just don't see him coming here, if he wanted to take a similar job I would have thought he would have taken the Kansas job last year. After all his relatively new wife is from that area and he still did not take that one. Even with the tough academic requirements he is getting ridiculously good recruits at Stanford so really no reason to leave. As far as the profs complaining about his salary, they can all they want and it won't matter if his salary is being subsidized by boosters. The boosters will give him what he wants, case in point where a billionaire booster built Harbaugh a 70 thousand dollar shower and bathroom in his office because the other was to far away. It was down the hall and the shower was downstairs.

I heard John Elway was going to do whatever it took to keep him at Stanford, but since he got duped in that Ponzi scheme, he's not giving any of his money away anymore.

Top Bottom