Happy Thanksgiving Coach Brewster

gophmeister

Reaction score
Even though you're the turkey this year, have a happy Thanksgiving. I think even your most ardent detractors can at least say that. ;)

To all the gopherholers in the house, happy thanksgiving. One day we'll be in Pasadena.

Happy thanksgiving to all you guys, too!

Let's just hope that trip to Pasadena is coming very soon!

He's in good company

Coach Brewster has some pertinent company among Reusse's Turkeys of the Year:

1985: Lou Holtz
1992: 25 years of Golden Gophers football
2003: Glen Mason

Coach Brewster has some pertinent company among Reusse's Turkeys of the Year:

1985: Lou Holtz
1992: 25 years of Golden Gophers football
2003: Glen Mason

Do you know how depressing it was to see that 1992 Turkey of the Year, and realize we are now 17 years later and pretty much in the same boat.

Do you know how depressing it was to see that 1992 Turkey of the Year, and realize we are now 17 years later and pretty much in the same boat.

Indeed. No coach would be able to be turn things around in 3 years' time. Patience... maybe Brewster is the guy and maybe he isn't. Regardless IMO he deserves at least a year or two more so we can all figure it out.

Indeed. No coach would be able to be turn things around in 3 years' time. Patience... maybe Brewster is the guy and maybe he isn't. Regardless IMO he deserves at least a year or two more so we can all figure it out.

The problem is, will HE figure it out by then? I rather doubt it. Again, with me it's the WAY we are losing/playing. The players look like they need help and they are simply not getting it. Maturi should cut his losses now and dump this guy. I guarantee that we'll be in the same boat next year and the year after. The clock is ticking!

At least the 17 years since '92 have featured some quality years and an overall improvement in the football program.

The program in '92 was awful in a number of levels. Jim Wacker may not have "fixed" the program to the level he promised or fans desired but he did stop the bleeding and did improve recruiting for the program compared to Gutekunst. His last recruiting class were the guys that went 8-4 in '99 and weren't far removed (16 points in those four losses) from a perfect season.

Mason was a fair to good coach (good in game preparation but awful on in-game coaching), a fair recruiter and had a decent ten year run.

Brewster has improved recruiting quite a bit but his coaching and decision making regarding shuffling of coordinators, etc. has been frustrating to just downright poor.

With that said, the U is in a better position as a program now than it was in '92 and the last 17 years have been better overall than the 25 years prior to '92.

The problem is, will HE figure it out by then? I rather doubt it. Again, with me it's the WAY we are losing/playing. The players look like they need help and they are simply not getting it. Maturi should cut his losses now and dump this guy. I guarantee that we'll be in the same boat next year and the year after. The clock is ticking!

Classic guarantee! Your credibility is through the roof. How about we use words like "I think" and maybe "in my opinion"? I enjoy reading opinions, but these guarantees make me laugh.

To me our program is in the best shape it's ever been. That's not to say Brewster will get us to the promised land. IDK if he can, but if he proves he can't he'll have assembled more talent than this program has seen in forty years. What a great starting point for the next coach. This too me is why Brewster won't be fired. Regardless of how well he can coach the program will be better off at the end of next year than it is now. We improve either way. Personally, just for this reason I'd redo his contract now. Tear up the old and write a new three year deal. If it doesn't pan out we'll be sitting on the fourth most talented team in the B10, an extremely solid foundation for any new program. Despite how well Brewster does in that time, he's turned the tide and moved us into a potential unseen in forty years.

Top Bottom